Clubplanet Nightlife Community

OT: Is anyone in Medical school or planning on going?

It really depends on where you apply, ie- if you apply to the top 10 schools like harvard, yale, hopkins, you better make sure you have a solid gpa and mcat score - 3.7 and 33 and up. But otherwise, a gpa of 3.3 and a mcat score of at least 30 will get you interviews at a some schools. I have friends that have gotten in with 3.0 and 28's on their mcats - it all depends on your life experiences and what you have to offer, etc. I scored a 31 on my mcats and have a gpa of 3.48 and got accepted to two allopathic med schools, but decided to pursue an osteopathic med school. It really does not matter if you go MD or DO, either way you'll come out a physician. you should definitely visit this website called studentdoctor.network - it's a great resource for premeds and currents med students and it was an invaluable tool for me during the horrendous process of applying to med schools.

please don't apply to medschool and make me turn restlessly in bed each night thinking that people off this board will some day "work" on me when my bones are brittle and my body broken.

I never thought I'd say this, but please stick to discussing Draper vs Cox vs Schmegma and leave medicine to pro's.

Thanks.

============================

HI HO, HI HO, ITS OFF TO FLEX WE GO

Originally posted by davidstone

please don't apply to medschool and make me turn restlessly in bed each night thinking that people off this board will some day "work" on me when my bones are brittle and my body broken.

I never thought I'd say this, but please stick to discussing Draper vs Cox vs Schmegma and leave medicine to pro's.

Thanks.

HI HO, HI HO, ITS OFF TO FLEX WE GO

TO PRO's??????????? people are trying to become something, u should encourage them.

? to u , u think people on this board arent qualified enough to work on your ass in the future... u should think sometimes before u make stupid statements...

peace

jonathan

Originally posted by lillizzy

money is SO bad in medicine...but if you wanna help people for a living, go for it hah ;) just don't forget the stress of malpractice!

it depends what u want to do,

Dentists, pharmacists, nutritionists = they make a ton of money

peace

jonathan

Originally posted by highmay

Cody, I wouldnt trust you with a scalpel if god himself wiped out the whole world with SARS and left you to save my life...

I wouldn't trust myself with a scalpel either..

I don't plan on being a surgeon or slicing anything with sharp objects. :aright:

Originally posted by jonathanny

TO PRO's??????????? people are trying to become something, u should encourage them.

? to u , u think people on this board arent qualified enough to work on your ass in the future... u should think sometimes before u make stupid statements...

peace

jonathan

Yes, I think people on this board are not qualified to practice medicine and certainly shouldnt' be encouraged to do so.

Look at Dr. Babybutt for instance:

" . ..I got into the club scene when I was a 4th year, and I have to say that if I'd discovered it any earlier I may not have made it through . .."

I dont need people who just "made it through" to determine any type of diagnosis that might force me to go under the knife or on a certain medication. Now go play some trance and "bug out" thanks.

==============================

DR. FLEX, M.D. PHD, F.A.C.P

Yes, I think people on this board are not qualified to practice medicine and certainly shouldnt' be encouraged to do so.

Look at Dr. Babybutt for instance:

" . ..I got into the club scene when I was a 4th year, and I have to say that if I'd discovered it any earlier I may not have made it through . .."

I dont need people who just "made it through" to determine any type of diagnosis that might force me to go under the knife or on a certain medication. Now go play some trance and "bug out" thanks.

DR. FLEX, M.D. PHD, F.A.C.P

bottomline u should not be negative and actually tell them how to get in and actuallly explain the hard work needed to be put in, and then let the person decide what they want...

peace

jonathan

Originally posted by jonathanny

bottomline u should not be negative and actually tell them how to get in and actuallly explain the hard work needed to be put in, and then let the person decide what they want...

peace

jonathan

No. The people on this board are sub-specie humans who can't be left to their own judgement (and I'd love to lend my own but I don't have that kind of time these days)

Please stay the hell away from graduate institutions in this country. You're the reason why entrance statistics make us lower than most nations.

===========================

Dr. FLEX: 1600 on his FLEX.A.T's

===========================

Two words: Princeton Review. Took my MCAT from 20 to 32. I'm not sure of the current price, but it is definitely worth it, especially if you are on the bubble.

Medicine as a career isn't doing that well, but all things are cyclical. If you want to do something like family practice, you can finish med school, do a 3 year residency and come out making $200,000. Not too bad, considering you'll be paid during your residency (sometimes in upwards of $50,000).

If you are a glutton for punishment like me, you can do a general surgery residency and cardiothoracic fellowship, and spend 18 or so years after high school preparing for a career that may have potential to generate $1 million/year, but also to leave me unemployed (causing me to get a job at Tower Records).

Good luck. If you have any specific questions, pm me.

Originally posted by someclown

Two words: Princeton Review. Took my MCAT from 20 to 32. I'm not sure of the current price, but it is definitely worth it, especially if you are on the bubble.

Medicine as a career isn't doing that well, but all things are cyclical. If you want to do something like family practice, you can finish med school, do a 3 year residency and come out making $200,000. Not too bad, considering you'll be paid during your residency (sometimes in upwards of $50,000).

If you are a glutton for punishment like me, you can do a general surgery residency and cardiothoracic fellowship, and spend 18 or so years after high school preparing for a career that may have potential to generate $1 million/year, but also to leave me unemployed (causing me to get a job at Tower Records).

general surgery, there is no more private practice...my dad barely has cases anymore...1 million a year is a JOKE

Thanks. :D

You may be hearing from me soon.

Originally posted by lillizzy

general surgery, there is no more private practice...my dad barely has cases anymore...1 million a year is a JOKE

I said general surgery RESIDENCY, plus cardiothoracic FELLOWSHIP. Some CT surgeons do make over a million, so the POTENTIAL is there.

By the way, there is a big need for general surgeons nowadays almost everywhere (too many people want to specialize), but you're right, maybe $150 to start, with a $300,000 top off....

I said general surgery RESIDENCY, plus cardiothoracic FELLOWSHIP. Some CT surgeons do make over a million, so the POTENTIAL is there.

By the way, there is a big need for general surgeons nowadays almost everywhere (too many people want to specialize), but you're right, maybe $150 to start, with a $300,000 top off....

Thank you again my dumb friends for re-iterating my point that no one on this message board should think twice about going to med school.

A) you had to take "trainer" classes to make the grade to get accepted - what happened to talent

B) the only content about med school in this thread is related to monetary compensation - how much loot you'll end up getting .. . why the fuck would anyone THINK of going to med school out of genuine and sincere concern for peoples' well being? I haven't heard anyone say "I've always wanted to help " or " I have a love-affair with science" . ..you scamps

C) even if it was for $$ you guys are STILL too stupid to realize that you SHOULD be doing 500k+ if that's your intent; medicine is STILL set up to make ea$y money.

please keep eating pills and listening to tiestos so I can have something interesting to read in the mornings. thanks

Thank you again my dumb friends for re-iterating my point that no one on this message board should think twice about going to med school.

A) you had to take "trainer" classes to make the grade to get accepted - what happened to talent

B) the only content about med school in this thread is related to monetary compensation - how much loot you'll end up getting .. . why the fuck would anyone THINK of going to med school out of genuine and sincere concern for peoples' well being? I haven't heard anyone say "I've always wanted to help " or " I have a love-affair with science" . ..you scamps

C) even if it was for $$ you guys are STILL too stupid to realize that you SHOULD be doing 500k+ if that's your intent; medicine is STILL set up to make ea$y money.

please keep eating pills and listening to tiestos so I can have something interesting to read in the mornings. thanks

To respond to your first comment, a "trainer" class like the Princeton Review, or Kaplan etc. is to prepare you for a test. What percentage of medical students (or law students, or grad students for that matter) take a test prep course? Probably well over 50%. There is a reason why these courses do so well. I had a dual major in college and took a lot of classes. It is hard to remember little facts from a course you took 3 years earlier.

Secondly, I don't take pills and I don't like Tiesto that much.

Thirdly, I am $200,000 in debt because of my education. It's true that money is important because I want to be compensated for the years of hard work I put in. I suppose you do whatever it is you do for the love of mopping floors or being a busboy. But I will tell you this, I do love what I do, and people tell me I am very good at it. Maybe I am ego driven.

Lastly, if you have a problem with me personally Mr. David Stone, why don't you pm me so we can discuss this in person?