Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Poor Billys Closed Tonight 7/1/03

Originally posted by marcomaxim

Like i said boss, i dont want to say what happened, but its very Sad. Want 2 be respectful to the people invloved.

YEAH I GOTTA JET INTO A MEETING, HEADLINER WAS GOOD, YAMMED UP WITH GIRLS, PM LATER

Originally posted by johnholmes

yea for 25cent wings and blooming onions

I use 2 like you Holmes, but now ur WAY WAY WAY to annoying with your bashing of every single club mentioned on here. Im beginning to think that you dont even leave your house and play on this thing all day, because you seem to have no frikin clue what your ever talking about. Make your own thread about how much every place sucks...so none of us have 2 read it.

Originally posted by marcomaxim

I use 2 like you Holmes, but now ur WAY WAY WAY to annoying with your bashing of every single club mentioned on here. Im beginning to think that you dont even leave your house and play on this thing all day, because you seem to have no frikin clue what your ever talking about. Make your own thread about how much every place sucks...so none of us have 2 read it.

Actually no there is many clubs i don't bash so get a clue. Usually if i do bash a place its cause of shameless never ending plugs from the same monkeys. As for Poor Billys it attracts SI trash, guidos stuck in the early 90s and local nerds. Please get a clue they draw bands every other day of the week, yea cool i can hear Big Orange Cone then drop some reggea into Derb:rolleyes: Plus it was owned by a COKE ADDICT, this guy must of done a few 8balls a day. So did he keel over or what:confused:

Originally posted by johnholmes

Actually no there is many clubs i don't bash so get a clue. Usually if i do bash a place its cause of shameless never ending plugs from the same monkeys. As for Poor Billys it attracts SI trash, guidos stuck in the early 90s and local nerds. Please get a clue they draw bands every other day of the week, yea cool i can hear Big Orange Cone then drop some reggea into Derb:rolleyes: Plus it was owned by a COKE ADDICT, this guy must of done a few 8balls a day. So did he keel over or what:confused:

Damn! You're as ruthless as I am!!!

Originally posted by pyrrosdimas

Damn! You're as ruthless as I am!!!

EASY SPARKY, holmes knows nothing and neither do you for thinking the could possibly be ruthless with me.

That would never happen, keep your comments to yourself before you get bashed.

I try to be nice...so lets leave it at that.

if your smart, you wont respond.

Besides, i wont read it until tomorrow.

Everyone have a GREAT night.

MARCOMAXIM

Billy did know how to run a place, condolences to his family. He started something in this area when there wasn't much going on. If I can remember correctly it was the first Sports bar in the area of that caliber, and put sports bars on the map in this area. He constantly made adjustments and improvements to the place each year. I can remember sick times there going back to the late 80's. I particularly remember when SKI did thursdays there. That was a really sick party. Just goes to show you have to live life to the fullest, you never know when your number is gonna be up.

Peace

Originally posted by davisg

Does every restaurant serve the same food? No. So why should every club play just the music or format that only you like? The fact is that there is an eclectic group of people in the world, so crawl out from under the rock you live and open your eyes. Any club owner out there would die to have 6 Successful nights. If you truly went to Poorbillys you would know that Tuesday nights DJ Mike White can hang with any DJ down the shore. He gets and plays some of the newest music first and can mix hip hop and reggae as well. Lots of industry people go there on Tuesdays to party because they all work on the weekend and can’t get out. I always see the Abyss crew there whenever I get to go. As for Poor Billy I’ll say this, the man was insane but he was a genius. He always got the job done. Just look at what has happened since he sold the place over a year ago. As for Billy Miller, he has his faults like all of us do but he was one of the best PR guys in the business. I remember a party for Jim McGreevey where one minute he had his group eating out of his hands and the next he was buying some nerdy club kid a drink to make him feel cool in front of his girlfriend. He could make anyone feel good and then he had to go home feeling like a clown. That’s not easy to do. My condolences go out to the Gadek family and to the past and present staff of Poorbilly’s. I was lucky to have met and worked side by side with Poorbilly. The things he taught me will be with me forever.

great post....

Woodbridge restaurateur killed by train

Ailing and depressed, Poor Billy Gadek apparently committed suicide

Wednesday, July 02, 2003

BY TOM HAYDON

Star-Ledger Staff

William V. Gadek III was so closely associated with Poor Billy's sports bar in Woodbridge that last year he had his name legally changed to Poor Billy.

The flamboyant businessman -- who had given lectures to students about his past difficulties with drug abuse and who had used a huge billboard next to the restaurant to promote several causes -- died after being struck by an NJ Transit train Monday night.

Gadek, 57, who had open heart surgery and battled multiple sclerosis, became depressed in the last two years, his lawyers and friends said.

"It was not totally unexpected to hear the news today," said Robert Dato, Gadek's lawyer and former business partner. "He had expressed thoughts about taking his life. He's an individual who had always been active in business and the community and his illness impacted on his ability to maintain his lifestyle."

Gadek was hit by a southbound NJ Transit train at 9:45 p.m. Monday on the Freeman Street bridge, less than a mile from the Route 9 restaurant.

"He stepped directly in front of the train," said NJ Transit spokesman Ken Miller. The train engineer used emergency breaking procedures, but was unable to avoid Gadek, Miller said.

NJ Transit police found a note Gadek had left, but Miller declined to comment on its contents. Miller said 430 passengers on a train from New York to Long Branch had to be transferred to another train, and five other trains were delayed by the incident.

Gadek's relatives and restaurant workers -- stunned by news of his death -- received a second blow yesterday when township police informed them the restaurant liquor license expired Monday, and the bar is prohibited from selling any alcoholic beverage.

Woodbridge officials said the renewal was withheld because of an outstanding debt with the state Division of Taxation.

Dato said the restaurant's accountant reported the tax issue had been resolved, but the township apparently had yet to be notified.

Dato said the restaurant "will be closed for an appropriate period of grieving."

Gadek also accrued debts, including federal tax liens totaling $425,033, and claims from Raritan Bay Medical Center for $81,598.23, according to court records.

Relatives did not return calls to their homes and managers at the restaurant declined to comment.

"The family is devastated right now," said a Woodbridge police officer who answered the door at the Gadeks' Green Street home, where relatives and restaurant workers were gathered. Township police had gone to the family to inform them that the license expired.

Gadek transferred the restaurant and its liquor license to his ex- wife, Irene Weiner, in mid 2001, about a year after they divorced, Dato said. He said they remained business partners.

"He decided he did not have the energy level to continue working and that it would be better to step aside," Dato said. Those close to Gadek knew he had become depressed.

East Brunswick attorney Kenneth Weiner, who had represented Gadek when he was convicted and sentenced to three years in prison in 1983 for possession and distribution of cocaine, said his former client had become isolated in recent years.

"He was a flamboyant guy. He made a few enemies but he had a lot of friends," said Weiner, whose son married Irene Weiner.

In 1992, then Woodbridge Mayor James E. McGreevey honored Gadek with a proclamation, noting he had been featured in People magazine in 1982 for using his 48-foot-high billboard to support former U.S. Sen. Harrison Williams when the New Jerseyan was fighting charges in a federal corruption case known as Abscam.

As a young man, Gadek coached teams at his family's swim club, the Woodbridge Swim Club, which operated on the same site where the restaurant is now.

He once slept outside the swim club to apprehend a burglar and turn him over to police, according to the proclamation. He also spoke at anti-drug abuse classes in Woodbridge schools and held an annual alcohol-free New Year's Eve party for teenagers, according to the proclamation. Gadek demonstrated "his lifetime of volunteerism, self-sacrifice and charitable contributions toward enhancing and improving the quality of life in our community," McGreevey said in the salutation.

Gadek was the second person struck by an NJ Transit train this week.

Sheldon Spizz, 59, of Belmar, repeatedly crossed over railroad tracks in his motorized wheelchair about 11:20 a.m. Monday in the borough, and was struck by a train, and became caught underneath it. He was taken to Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune where he remained in critical condition yesterday.

First, Id like to thank DavisG ,Marcomaxium ,and the others forthe VERY kind words about Poor Billy and his establishment.(I know who u guys are.THANK YOU.They were great.) We here at Poor Billy's are no doubt saddened by the sudden loss of our founder,employer,and last but not least ...a friend....I can speak for the rest of the management staff by saying,this has'nt hit home yet.We are still trying to take it all in....Poor Billy has left.and will continue to leave for a LONG while, a void for the family, friends,and everyone that has worked and still works at Poor Billys....As we try to get through the next couple of days,the mangement and staff at Poor Billys will continue to make the effort to make everyone that comes to his place smile......Even in this tough time...For that is the way Poor Billy would want it...So on behalf of the management, staff at Poor Billys, we would just like to say this....Thank You PB, For everythig u have done for us....thank you ...for forming our lives into somethig better than it was before we met you......rest in piece buddy,we will miss you....................From the POOR BILLY'S team.

Originally posted by dancerbar

My deepest condolences to Father Mike, Sister Kate, Kim, Gil, Dana and the rest of the staff that has showed us so much love over the years

Ditto. The Poor Billys Staff and management has always treated up like gold. Def Class Acts.