Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Running up the score

what are your thoughts on this?

last week Boston piled it on the Marlins 24-1 or 26-1 and a RedSox batter got beaned. I was switching channels yesterday and saw the Jim Rome show on ESPN for a bit and he says teams should not run up the score.

Last night the Marlins poured it on the Braves 20-1.

I'm all for running up the score, not because you want to humiliate the other team (or in some cases you do) but once you take out your best team off the field and put in 2nd and 3rd string guys, you want them to perform at their best if in case a first team guy gets injured and he needs to fill that role in. And if the other team can't stop 2nd and 3rd string guys from scoring runs, TD's, goals, dunks...goddam you deserve to be humiliated :D

of course college sports is a bit different when say Miami is playing East Commenwealth Community College in football, or Duke is playing Central Hofstra State in basketball when you know the other team is going to get clobbered anyways.

I thought it was extremely unnecessary for Boston to do what they did to the Marlins with the 25 runs scored.. especially after what happened to the Marlins' reliever..

I heard both managers comment on it after the game.. Marlins' manager was very aggrevated about it, he was pissed as hell and thought it was extremely rude of Boston to rub it in his team's faces.. said how they're not gonna forget what happened that nite. He also said he wasn't mad at Grady Little cause he knows that's not how he plays ball, and he knows it wasn't on him.

Originally posted by Codica3

I thought it was extremely unnecessary for Boston to do what they did to the Marlins with the 25 runs scored.. especially after what happened to the Marlins' reliever..

I heard both managers comment on it after the game.. Marlins' manager was very aggrevated about it, he was pissed as hell and thought it was extremely rude of Boston to rub it in his team's faces.. said how they're not gonna forget what happened that nite. He also said he wasn't mad at Grady Little cause he knows that's not how he plays ball, and he knows it wasn't on him.

Loved every minute of it... even if it was Lola's Marlins.

I'm sure the Marlins manager is feeling very aggravated last night. Now I know some of you guys are Red Sox or anti-Red Sox or Yankee or anti-Yankee, but I dunno, if your teamis the one that is being clobbered, and I'll go to great lenghths at saying if it was my team that was getting beat up, I would say they deserve it. Especially in pro-sports, I say players and managers, quit the whinning they get paid for it, and if they suck and get paid for sucking they deserve to be clobbered.

i dunno, if itwas football and my team is winning 40-0 in the 4th quarter and i decide to just run the ball and the other team defense is a collander, well what can i do? just tell the QB to take 3 straight knees?

i'm all for pouring it on, it's for the fans that sports exist, and even if the game is over by the half time, i still want my money's worth, not 2 quarters or 8 innings of players playing at the pee-wee level.

Originally posted by dnice35

If a team is getting their ass kicked that bad, they should swallow their pride and try harder to end the game, instead of being little bitches crying about how bad they are losing.

i agree, show some dignity, play hard and make the score somehwat decent...if the other team scored 14 runs in one inning, who says you cant do it either. fukin' quitters.

Originally posted by vicman

i agree, show some dignity, play hard and make the score somehwat decent...if the other team scored 14 runs in one inning, who says you cant do it either. fukin' quitters.

I think it was a different story in that Boston/Marlins game though..

That pitcher could have died.

Am I like the only one that was horrified when he got slammed in the head??

True, it looked bad that the Sox "ran the score up", but unlike football, basketball, and hockey, baseball players stats can take a dive. What were the Sox supposed to do? Start striking out on purpose?

If you noticed, several times, the Sox put their runners through in order for them to get into situations to get tagged out. (Mueller from second to home)

people have amazingly short memories.... remember back in 2001 when the mariners scored almost 16 runs by the second inning when they were playing the cleveland indians, mid-way thru the game, the ball park was deserted. the mariners were showcasing a clinic !

but when it was all said and done by the ninth inning... the indians came all the way back and won the game.

"running' up scores shoulndt be a vocabulary in sports... nothing is final till the fat bitch cackles.. :)

I think it was a different story in that Boston/Marlins game though..

That pitcher could have died.

Am I like the only one that was horrified when he got slammed in the head??

i didnt know that.

i know that in the marlins-braves game that i mentioned some camera man got hit by a bat pretty bad and had lacerations to the face by a bat that slipped from a braves batter.

Originally posted by kaysersoze

people have amazingly short memories.... remember back in 2001 when the mariners scored almost 16 runs by the second inning when they were playing the cleveland indians, mid-way thru the game, the ball park was deserted. the mariners were showcasing a clinic !

but when it was all said and done by the ninth inning... the indians came all the way back and won the game.

"running' up scores shoulndt be a vocabulary in sports... nothing is final till the fat bitch cackles.. :)

so true, so true, it ain't over 'til its over.