Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Runners ???

Help me out here...

I would love to run. But I suffer from shin splints all the time.

Help me out her with some tips on how to prevent. And maybe a good lower leg training routine that you all do to help strengthen your Calves and Shins so that I can run longer without suffering. :confused:

Originally posted by elementx

Help me out here...

Help me out her with some tips on how to prevent. And maybe a good lower leg training routine that you all do to help strengthen your Calves and Shins so that I can run longer without suffering. :confused:

i have asthma so i never used to run....but then i started to and i had the same prob you are having. i think rackham is right, plus stretching helps alot. also i think you should walk first then run i.e.if you are going top do 3 miles, i would walk about 1/2 mile first and a1/4 of a mile at the end. try it

Originally posted by incredulous

i have asthma so i never used to run....but then i started to and i had the same prob you are having. i think rackham is right, plus stretching helps alot. also i think you should walk first then run i.e.if you are going top do 3 miles, i would walk about 1/2 mile first and a1/4 of a mile at the end. try it

I think I'm blessed with primal lungs, I can do marathons with ease, so long as they arent over 20K. I know training helps, but, having to grow up in a high altitude definately gives you an edge. You get to suck up more O2 that keeps your energy level up.

Oh btw, welcome back incredulous...long time no see :D Get back to postwhoring kid :working:

Help me out here...

ICE ICE ICE!

Ice your shins about 15-20 minutes before and after your run. Also, try to run on grass more instead of pavement - a lot less stress on your knees and shins.

What about a mild sprained ankle that hasnt properly healed during the past 2 yrs?? According to Dr's and MRI's its perfectly fine but if I run for a wk straight it swells up??

Any suggestions runners??

Originally posted by xxlea

What about a mild sprained ankle that hasnt properly healed during the past 2 yrs?? According to Dr's and MRI's its perfectly fine but if I run for a wk straight it swells up??

Any suggestions runners??

ICE ICE ICE ;):tongue:

Also, go to a pool and do some aqua-jogging. It's just as intense with no stress to your ankles, shins or knees. I did it for an entire season and it was just as effective as practicing on a track.

Help me out here...

if ya only run... like once a month...

you're prolly gonna get shin splints...

once the pain goes away from the first time...

keep a regular run schedule...like at least 3 days a week...

you should be fine:D

I used to get shin splints, but I aslo wasn't stretching enough. I flex and point my feet for about 5 - 7 minutes, warming up my shins. Occasionally I stretch while working out. I do not run the whole time, and the more I learn about joint strain, the less I believe in running, and more in aerobic breathing, and swimming. If you have an injury, you might want to look into pilaties and aerobic breathing

good luck

Originally posted by bodiii

if ya only run... like once a month...

you're prolly gonna get shin splints...

once the pain goes away from the first time...

keep a regular run schedule...like at least 3 days a week...

you should be fine:D

my point exactly

Guest jroo
Originally posted by spragga25

ICE ICE ICE!

Ice your shins about 15-20 minutes before and after your run. Also, try to run on grass more instead of pavement - a lot less stress on your knees and shins.

alert!!! i seriously dont see how icing before can help, i can only see it hurting. if you numb the area then go run you could really damage it and know until later, ice after is great. r.i.c.e. rest, ice, compress, elevate. my suggestion is to get a good pair of running shows. of course strech and stuff, before and after. start out slow, short distances, and just build yourself up to 2 miles or so. you'll be running without pain in no time. take motrin and ice if they are really bothering you.

Guest jroo
Originally posted by spragga25

ICE ICE ICE ;):tongue:

Also, go to a pool and do some aqua-jogging. It's just as intense with no stress to your ankles, shins or knees. I did it for an entire season and it was just as effective as practicing on a track.

aqua-jogging is awesome!! its a great work out, way better tahn actually running. you may feel like a goober, but its teh best way to go. you burn more calories, no impact, more resistance.

Help me out here...

what kinda of shoes are you using

Guest jroo
Originally posted by siceone

what kinda of shoes are you using

also if they still bother you, go to a foot doctor and get some orthodics made. they're just the inserts. real nice. made just for you.