Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Darude "rush" Is Released Today!!!

Originally posted by byassninc

being his label all we care about is sales -

argh! but that is exactly the problem. and that's why most of us who take our music seriously get kinda vicious about it. you guys don't really care about the art, the artist, or his creation.....it's a bottom line, a profit margin.

In the late 90's, if you made any money off your DJing or production, then you started your own label. And that's where we're at now....artists said, 'the label doesn't care about my art, so I'll start my own thing'. Counterintuitive as it may seem, this saturation actually helped the market for dance music, while the monopolies of the mainstream killed the pop market. Everything on the radio is cookie-cutter, no big deal, been-there-done-that. And now the kids don't have to pay for it anymore so the big labels are going nuts.

True, the dance market has taken a hit from dling music, but we all still buy vinyl...and the labels who continue to make a quality, upfront, affordable, cutting edge product -- Bedrock, Yoshitoshi, Release -- are still making money.

And now dance music is more popular than ever -- and no, we don't consider Darude in the same category --, so popular in fact that pop stars are now flocking to dance producers to make their tracks.

That being said, I appreciate your remarks and your candidness, even if I find it discomforting.

Originally posted by revaluation

argh! but that is exactly the problem. and that's why most of us who take our music seriously get kinda vicious about it. you guys don't really care about the art, the artist, or his creation.....it's a bottom line, a profit margin.

In the late 90's, if you made any money off your DJing or production, then you started your own label. And that's where we're at now....artists said, 'the label doesn't care about my art, so I'll start my own thing'. Counterintuitive as it may seem, this saturation actually helped the market for dance music, while the monopolies of the mainstream killed the pop market. Everything on the radio is cookie-cutter, no big deal, been-there-done-that. And now the kids don't have to pay for it anymore so the big labels are going nuts.

True, the dance market has taken a hit from dling music, but we all still buy vinyl...and the labels who continue to make a quality, upfront, affordable, cutting edge product -- Bedrock, Yoshitoshi, Release -- are still making money.

And now dance music is more popular than ever -- and no, we don't consider Darude in the same category --, so popular in fact that pop stars are now flocking to dance producers to make their tracks.

That being said, I appreciate your remarks and your candidness, even if I find it discomforting.

Preach it, brother!!! :D

very good points made by reval.

i guess in a perfect world you could have a good quality product and still make a profit. i still buy some cd's these days, but just stick to the artists that throughout time have proven to be good & innovative with their music and who i have grown to love.

unfortunately in these times costs are up on everything and one must decide how to better spend their hard earned ca$h and where one can cut back and still enjoy a fairly comfortable quality of life. if i had bought all the music i had DL in the past year, nt only would i be less knowledgeable on music, but i wouldnt even be able to pay my monthly bills.

that said, cut the middle men that do not need to be there, go directly to your customer, lot's of consumer goods are now being sold directly from manufacturers to consumer while cutting out all the unnecesary middlemen.

instead of having to go to Tower Records and paying $15 for Darude's new CD, why can't i just log on to your web site and buy it directly from you for $10?

now it is also important to see the other end of the story, one where i am the artist and people are getting myproduct from me, and i am not getting a penny from it. unfortunately 2 things in my opinion have led to this: 1, low quality in a lot of the music being produced, and 2, recording companies taking advantadge of their costumers by increased prices over time. the cookie cutter concept put fwd. by reval is on point, for far to long consumers have been spoon-fed music by recording companies, now consumers (a segment of them at least) have a way of getting back to recording companies, not only by the DL of the music, but by the greater variety and availability of music, that in the past, was not at our finger tips.

we are all consumers on a daily basis, and i'm sure that we hate it when we feel that we are taken for granted by a person/company selling us a product or service, and that's the way a lot of people feel about the recording companies.

i cant imagine taking my car in for a lube job and getting it back repainted in pink because pink is the "in" color and the dealer wanted me to have the latest fad. :confused::blank::rolleyes::mad::D:blown:

This is a great post. I think byassninc feels she can be candid with you guys, b/c she realizes you're not the type of crowd that is about hype. She's giving you the labels point of view, without sugarcoating her words, and you guys are being direct as well, from a consumers point of view.

I'm somewhat in the middle of the road on the whole music piracy thing. I buy a shit load of music. Both vinyl singles and CD comps. My take is if I wouldn't have bought it to begin with, I don't have any problems downloading it. If I would have bought it had there been no DL available, then I buy it.

Originally posted by revaluation

You have me all wrong - first im being 100% honest when i say i care about sales - i do - this is a business we have to put ALOT of money into something to make it work - so the sales are very very important - BUT you also have to understand IF i did not think a project would work then i would not even waste my time TRYING not in todays market - so that being said - Darude (or whoever) is something i do believe in - as a producer i think he is very talented for the style he plays - its not something that blows me away - BUT i do feel its very very good. As a label we also believe in giving the artist all artistic rights - be in sound / artwork / direction etc etc. All we are doing day in day out is artist delevelopment - Music is my #1 love in life - i personally DJ (not Darude's sound) but Tech house - i have always had music in my life - so being involved in a label now - i understand what i love ./ like and believe in and i also understand what sells and works (for whatever reason it still works) and we have a mixture of the two. BUT we never lose sight of the goal - and the goal is to sell music / make music / the more you sell - the more you can make!!!!!

D

instead of having to go to Tower Records and paying $15 for Darude's new CD, why can't i just log on to your web site and buy it directly from you for $10?

You can do this - you can log on my site and buy it from my merch store - http://www.hellagoodgear.com

BUT we also like to have all bases loaded you know - we want to make sure we have maxium exposure on ALL our albums - so we try and hit everything - be in stores, online, media whatever and where ever - we try to do as much as possible in the budget we have available for that album.

Diane

(blue chip)

Originally posted by CHRles

This is a great post. I think byassninc feels she can be candid with you guys, b/c she realizes you're not the type of crowd that is about hype. She's giving you the labels point of view, without sugarcoating her words, and you guys are being direct as well, from a consumers point of view.

two sides of the same coin, i also buy ALOT of music - i would not download due to the fact that i am partners in a music label, being a DJ i have alot of various sounds and styles and i buy it all (mostly on vinyl) for personal reasons.

I dont believe in sugarcoating anything in life, we need to make money as a label inorder to be able to sign new material - and develop new projects. If we ONLY cared about the sales - then what is the point we dont - we care about it all - one feeds the other........ !

Guest jroo

two sides of the same coin, i also buy ALOT of music - i would not download due to the fact that i am partners in a music label, being a DJ i have alot of various sounds and styles and i buy it all (mostly on vinyl) for personal reasons.

I dont believe in sugarcoating anything in life, we need to make money as a label inorder to be able to sign new material - and develop new projects. If we ONLY cared about the sales - then what is the point we dont - we care about it all - one feeds the other........ !

yeah, so.. you got a pic? we all like to see female dj's, preferrably in action. thanks.

you do make a very important point there. as in most things in today's society, businesses are driven by the bottom line, which is increased revenue. with out it, you can't grow, you can't expand, you can't be more ambitious with your overall goals.

Originally posted by vicman

you do make a very important point there. as in most things in today's society, businesses are driven by the bottom line, which is increased revenue. with out it, you can't grow, you can't expand, you can't be more ambitious with your overall goals.

thanks ! so im not public enermy #1 today!!!! (lol)

Guest jroo

Hey nothing wrong with self promotion!

Girl gotta do what a girls gotta do!!!

:)

hahahahahha

now, seriously, where are the pics?? :shaky: