Clubplanet Nightlife Community

SKIM MILK...elitesnautica

Originally posted by rackham

Why don't you stop quoting anti-milk quacks running their mouths, and post an actual STUDY showing the indigestibility of milk protein?

This guy is referencing studies done in the 1930s on CATS, for christ's sake. And NONE of his "scientific sources" are referenced.

:blank:

Here lies the problem. You will find plenty of studies - most of which are NOT peer reviewed, which are paid for by milk producers. Why - b/c that is how they make money.

The problem with finding studies (and I have seen a few) is that there is absolutely no money in a study that tells you not to buy a product - unless of course they have another product to sell you.

When reading a "Pro" milk study you need to look for 2 extremely important things.

1) Who paid for the study?

2) Was the study peer reviewed?

Anybody can make a study look scientific - but unless you take into account those 2 criterias - then it is absolutly worthless- much like as you stated before - the "articles" written by those that are anti-milk.

What I can tell you for 100 percent sure - is that adult humans or any adults for that matter - lack the enzyme to break down milk. This is not disputed by anyone in the scientific community. That along with the heavy fat content and pasturization techniques is enough for me to find other sources of protein and calcium.

But if you enjoy milk - by all means - there is plenty around.

and I will keep looking until I do find and actual scientific study.

nautica

Originally posted by elitesnautica

Here lies the problem. You will find plenty of studies - most of which are NOT peer reviewed, which are paid for by milk producers. Why - b/c that is how they make money.

The problem with finding studies (and I have seen a few) is that there is absolutely no money in a study that tells you not to buy a product - unless of course they have another product to sell you.

By your reasoning, the protein supplement manufacturers should have proven milk protein to be indigestible a long time ago. So where are those studies?

When reading a "Pro" milk study you need to look for 2 extremely important things.

1) Who paid for the study?

2) Was the study peer reviewed?

Anybody can make a study look scientific - but unless you take into account those 2 criterias - then it is absolutly worthless- much like as you stated before - the "articles" written by those that are anti-milk.

So you admit that the articles you posted are absolutely worthless.

What I can tell you for 100 percent sure - is that adult humans or any adults for that matter - lack the enzyme to break down milk. This is not disputed by anyone in the scientific community. That along with the heavy fat content and pasturization techniques is enough for me to find other sources of protein and calcium.

Some (not all) human adults lack the enzyme to adequately break down lactose, which is the sugar component of milk, not the protein component. Some (not all) human adults have a casein intolerance, but that is a medical condition, not the norm.

But if you enjoy milk - by all means - there is plenty around.

and I will keep looking until I do find and actual scientific study.

nautica

Good luck with that.

"By your reasoning, the protein supplement manufacturers should have proven milk protein to be indigestible a long time ago. So where are those studies?"

The protein supplement manufacturers have NO need for these studies. Milk is NOT a competitor - they make most of their drinks so it can be mixed with milk or water. They could care less whether the milk enhances or hurts protein digestion - All they want to do is sell there product. There only competition is other protein supplements.

"So you admit that the articles you posted are absolutely worthless"

I admit that my articles are no better or worse than your studies other than the fact that there was no money issue concerning mine.

"Some (not all) human adults lack the enzyme to adequately break down lactose, which is the sugar component of milk, not the protein component. Some (not all) human adults have a casein intolerance, but that is a medical condition, not the norm"

"In infants, the chief cells secrete gastric lipase and rennin. Gastric lipase digest some of the butterfat of milk and rennin curdles milk by coagulating its proteins."

Anatomy and Physicology, Second Edition, Saladin, 2001, page 953.

"Good luck with that."

Thanks, I'll need it. Like I stated before - there is no money in condeming milk.

And like I have stated before. If you want to drink milk and enjoy that is GREAT. Drink away. Just know that there are better forms of protein and calcium available.

Nautica

Originally posted by elitesnautica

The protein supplement manufacturers have NO need for these studies. Milk is NOT a competitor - they make most of their drinks so it can be mixed with milk or water. They could care less whether the milk enhances or hurts protein digestion - All they want to do is sell there product. There only competition is other protein supplements.

How many people would stop drinking milk if they thought it provided no protein? How many of those people would buy more supplements? Milk is *definitely* a competitor.

I admit that my articles are no better or worse than your studies other than the fact that there was no money issue concerning mine.

Umm... and the fact that I posted actual studies, not just random stuff from a web site.

"In infants, the chief cells secrete gastric lipase and rennin. Gastric lipase digest some of the butterfat of milk and rennin curdles milk by coagulating its proteins."

Anatomy and Physicology, Second Edition, Saladin, 2001, page 953.

Congratulations, you've just show that infants are able to digest butterfat from milk, and milk curdles. That says NOTHING about protein digestibility.

Thanks, I'll need it. Like I stated before - there is no money in condeming milk.

There's no money in condemning cigarettes, either, but that doesn't stop people from doing studies. Maybe you just can't find the studies because there AREN'T any.

But if there aren't any, then how can you possibly be so sure about your statements? :confused:

And like I have stated before. If you want to drink milk and enjoy that is GREAT. Drink away. Just know that there are better forms of protein and calcium available.

Nautica

This isn't about whether or not I'll drink milk. It's about getting the facts straight.

"How many people would stop drinking milk if they thought it provided no protein? How many of those people would buy more supplements? Milk is *definitely* a competitor"

Not many b/c most are too hard headed to understand and besides their mothers said it was good. Now, if you want to talk about the elite athletes who need to stay lean or at least get lean for a contest - they avoid milk.

"Umm... and the fact that I posted actual studies, not just random stuff from a web site."

Okay, find out who paid for your study. Also, was it a peer reviewed study.

"Congratulations, you've just show that infants are able to digest butterfat from milk, and milk curdles. That says NOTHING about protein digestibility"

It is the curdling that inhibits digestion of protein.

"There's no money in condemning cigarettes, either, but that doesn't stop people from doing studies. Maybe you just can't find the studies because there AREN'T any."

That is b/c cigarettes are the number on cause of deathin America - it kills over 350,000 people per year. That coupled with the fact that it DOES cause tax payers millions of dollars to treat this people is enough for studies against.

and I never said MILK was bad for you - I am telling you milk is fine - but there are much much better sources of protein and calcium.

"But if there aren't any, then how can you possibly be so sure about your statements"

As far as the studies - I have seen them in the past. There are very few - but there are a couple which I have read. The question is - do I want to go to the trouble of finding them.

Not really.

So Drink milk, Its does the body good.

But when you look in the mirror and don't like what you see, Don't ask me why.

Nautica