Clubplanet Nightlife Community

i almost did a pullup today.

wideskies

almost! so close! but i couldn't get past a certain sticking point.

being able to do pullups is one of my relatively "long term" goals. i've never been able to do 'em before, even in grade school when my body weight was half what it is now, so the fact that i've made progress is very exciting.

:D

Originally posted by wideskies

almost! so close! but i couldn't get past a certain sticking point.

being able to do pullups is one of my relatively "long term" goals. i've never been able to do 'em before, even in grade school when my body weight was half what it is now, so the fact that i've made progress is very exciting.

:D

:aright:when you actually make one, you'll get a beso, i can't even do one ;)

lol r u serious? like not even one? heh no worries tho, i remember when i first start working out, i couldnt even bench press the SINGLE BAR without breaking out a sweat lol...thats right, just the bar, no weights! now i can do at least 2-3 sets with 45 lbs on each side, maybe a lil more

we all get to the finish line sumday tho, so keep at it, u'll get there ;)

Originally posted by anotherway83

lol r u serious? like not even one? heh no worries tho, i remember when i first start working out, i couldnt even bench press the SINGLE BAR without breaking out a sweat lol...thats right, just the bar, no weights! now i can do at least 2-3 sets with 45 lbs on each side, maybe a lil more

we all get to the finish line sumday tho, so keep at it, u'll get there ;)

I dont know why you are laughing... I happen to be a fairly strong person and can hardly do 5 pull ups... My body weight is 255.

When I do behind the neck pull downs with the same grip as a pull up I do 210 lbs for 10 reps, 220 for 8 reps, 230 for 6 reps I have just not gotten to my body weight yet. Chin ups are a different story. They are easier.

In the same sentense as laughing you are stating that you can do 3 or 4 sets with 45s. Trust me I am not laughing at you but you cannot laugh at someone for them being unable to do something when you infact are lifting for regular sets at a weight lower than what most people use as a warm up set for 20 to 30 reps.

Again I am not lauging at you... But words of encouragement are better than laughter.

Especially on this forum... It is here to help and learn. Not everyone is as strong or as in shape as everyone else...

Would you like a way to get there in 3 - 4 weeks????

Stap 25 lbs or 45 lbs (what ever you can handle) around your waste. Grab on to the bar (use straps if you need - it helps concentrate the back not the forearms). Have a spotter help you to the top - no a slowly as possible go down - count to at least 10 on the way down. Do this for 3 sets of 10 or so on every monday for the next 3 weeks. On the fourth week - go in an do your pull up - hell, do 5 of them.

If you dont have a spotter - get a chair that is tall enough to let you start off at top and then lower yourself down.

Nautica

Originally posted by elitesnautica

Stap 25 lbs or 45 lbs (what ever you can handle) around your waste. Grab on to the bar (use straps if you need - it helps concentrate the back not the forearms). Have a spotter help you to the top - no a slowly as possible go down - count to at least 10 on the way down. Do this for 3 sets of 10 or so on every monday for the next 3 weeks. On the fourth week - go in an do your pull up - hell, do 5 of them.

If you dont have a spotter - get a chair that is tall enough to let you start off at top and then lower yourself down.

Nautica

Elite... Do you work negative sets into your routine for all body parts... I have not done it in a while. I used to use it on my chest and love the results... I assume it works as good for all of your body parts???

The reason why people find negatives so effective is that optimal strength gains are achieved with optimal time under tension (TOT). Most people lift way too quickly and therefore don't get adequate TOT. Negatives increase TOT and therefore increase strength gains.

:)

Originally posted by elementx

Trust me I am not laughing at you but you cannot laugh at someone for them being unable to do something when you infact are lifting for regular sets at a weight lower than what most people use as a warm up set for 20 to 30 reps.

lol yeah, thats true, most guys are way stronger than me :D

but that said, im pretty sure that ur statement is false. i've been working out for years now, and i've seen guys of all sizes (most bigger and much stronger than me), but i've only ever seen maybe 5% of all guys do 20-30 reps using 45s as a warm-up.

they usually do a set of abt 10 reps max for 45s, and the average where i go is abt 2 plates of 45s on either side for the best set.

and i didnt mean it in a derogatory way, the rest of my post should've convinced you of that.

but i wish i could do 2 45s on each side..that would be the bomb...too bad i have a shoulder injury

Originally posted by rackham

The reason why people find negatives so effective is that optimal strength gains are achieved with optimal time under tension (TOT). Most people lift way too quickly and therefore don't get adequate TOT. Negatives increase TOT and therefore increase strength gains.

:)

Exactly.

And to answer your question elem - not really. When I was trying to work up to a 500 lb bench - I did them quite a bit - but I don't really worry about that anymore. I just make sure and use high intensity and like rackham said - not to fast.

See rackham - I can agree with you.

Nautica

the thing is, i don't think i'm strong enough to do 8-10 weighted negatives.

the reason i'm doing lat pulldowns right now instead of assisted or negative pullups is because i can't fit the other exercises into my current rep range (8-10).

quick q for anotherway: do you think that most women can do pullups?

It is funny that you ask - there seem to be alot of girls that set a goal of doing one pull up.

But, it can be done - I have a few female friends that can do 10 or 15.

And get out of the mind set, that I am a girl and not strong enough to do something. It is all in your mind - you have to take yourself to a different level of intensity (and I don't mean grunting and moaning like the fat guys on the free wieghts do).

Do what I said - even if it is 8 or 10 lbs and make sure you have a good spotter.

Believe it will happen and it will - Trust me. I have seen it too many times.

Nautica

uh, i am HARDLY in the "mindset" that i cannot do a pullup... i simply don't have the strength yet. i am afraid neither of grunting nor of intensity...

if you've read any of my posts, you'd know i'm all about lifting heavy weights, unlike many women who claim to be 'fit'.

Originally posted by wideskies

uh, i am HARDLY in the "mindset" that i cannot do a pullup... i simply don't have the strength yet. i am afraid neither of grunting nor of intensity...

if you've read any of my posts, you'd know i'm all about lifting heavy weights, unlike many women who claim to be 'fit'.

I am not saying that. What I am saying is that pound for pound females can be just a strong as males (to a certain degree). What I am trying to get you to do - is to go to the next level (in your mind). There is a chance that you are strong enough to do one right now - but you don't think you are - so you can not.

That is another reason for the negatives - when you don't have the wieght on you will percieve yourself as being lighter than you actually are and WILL be able to do a pull up. The mind is a powerful thing.

Just try it (with an open mind) - if you still can't do it you can come back in 4 weeks and make a "Nautica is Stupid" post. I am sure there are plenty of people here that would love to jump on that one :D

Nautica

He finally realized that all of this time he has been wrong and I am always right.:rolleyes:

Nautica

:laugh:

Actually in my opinion... Actually not just my opinion but every fitness magazine you have one person saying one thing and another person saying another thing. So it was bound to happen in this forum as well...

I guess people will just take the advice they feel more comfortable with... :D

congrats on almost doing a pullup ..it can really feel great to achieve a goal ....esp a long term one...doing pull ups was one of my long term goals as well..and now i have no problem with it...one of my favorite excersice's now actually...so good luck on ur pull up in the future