Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Cardio questions......Need some insight.....

Mystify

Okay I've seriously cut down on my cardio this past year (and upped my weight training)- and it's given me great results....

Question though - how often do you need to change your cardio routine around?

And if you don't change it, will it become less effective?

I usually do 15 minutes on the Elliptical and then 15 on either the stepper or the treadmill....should I switch it up even more?

Ohhh and another question. Does it matter if I do 30 minutes 4 times a week versus 20 minutes 5 or 6 times a week?

With cardio - it does not really matter if you change your routines - but you will have to up the intensity to get the same results.

As far as 30 vs. 20.

It really depends on when you do you cardio. If you do it after a workout - then you glycogen levels will be depleted and 20 min is fine.

If not - then it will take the body roughly 18 min to deplete glycogen stores and go into fat burning mode - so the 30 minutes would be MUCH better.

Nautica

I do my cardio and lifting at different times in the day. Usually lifting in the morning, and cardio is in late afternoon.

Doing 30 minutes 4x a week works better for me. I was hoping for that answer lol. Just because some days I just can't make it to the gym, so more lengthy cardio/less sessions is perfect!

Thanks for all your help! :kiss2:

Originally posted by elitesnautica

With cardio - it does not really matter if you change your routines - but you will have to up the intensity to get the same results.

As far as 30 vs. 20.

It really depends on when you do you cardio. If you do it after a workout - then you glycogen levels will be depleted and 20 min is fine.

If not - then it will take the body roughly 18 min to deplete glycogen stores and go into fat burning mode - so the 30 minutes would be MUCH better.

Nautica

So you think 20 minutes a day is good enough to burn fat if you do it following a workout?

I ask this because like I have already stated. I do not have alot of time in the gym before I go to work. And 20 minutes would be perfect.

Originally posted by elitesnautica

As far as 30 vs. 20.

Nautica

I have heard the same thing too, as in it takes your body about 20 minutes to get into fat burning mode. I do my weight training first for about 45 min, then do about 20 min of cardio after, I find this to be the most effective, for me at least. Many people tell me that weight training is much better then doing cardio because when building muscle your body is burning calories all day long, even during sleep, as opposed to just doing cardio where its pretty much only effective for the period you are doing it. I have been trying to explain this to this girl who wants me to set her up on a program, she only does cardio, her diet is ok, but I am trying to convince her to do some weight lifting explaining the benefits of building some muscle are far better for burning fat then cardio alone.

Originally posted by elementx

So you think 20 minutes a day is good enough to burn fat if you do it following a workout?

I ask this because like I have already stated. I do not have alot of time in the gym before I go to work. And 20 minutes would be perfect.

20 minutes is fine if your glycogen levels are already depleted. Which will be done by an intense workout.

Nautica