Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Is it just me..or is fashion..

spinsaikel

...fucking boring this time around. Yes, I realize that fashion recycles itself. But this year, christ it's like a dry spell! Lord knows how many catologues and fashion mags I've flipped through to try and even get that same "feeling" as I did back in '00 (IMHO fresh ideas were really FRESH then). Most of the things I've seen coming out bore the fuck out of me. How much further can you take ruffled clothing? Ditch those fucking sling tops already! Asymetical cuts are to be used sparingly. If overdone you better have a good reason why! Even the spring 04' line from Tommy, CK, Donna failed to amaze me. Leave it to newbies like Zac posen to clean things up a bit and the Obediant Sons. Now we're talking! These guys have a couple things in common: they both are disliked by many and make their own rules. Following a formula is not an option!

you hate him and so do many others. I find this rather amusing actually. think of him as the "david carson" of the fashion industry. for those of you who are clueless to who david carson is. He is the brain behind giant robo mag and surf (was it surf..? help..). His typography and unorthodox design was hated by many but is now embraced and thought of as innovative. anyway, zac posen rocks ya whether you like it or not.

I like Zac Posen but I think David Carson is overhyped... i was at a few of his seminars but didn't find anything fantastic. I think there are plenty of other graphic designers during that time who didn't get enough credit for their work and contribution to the distruction of the vertical space and text.

Saul Bass, Paul Rand (very funny guy), Sanberg just to name a few...

Originally posted by thrillfire

I like Zac Posen but I think David Carson is overhyped... i was at a few of his seminars but didn't find anything fantastic. I think there are plenty of other graphic designers during that time who didn't get enough credit for their work and contribution to the distruction of the vertical space and text.

Saul Bass, Paul Rand (very funny guy), Sanberg just to name a few...

Paul Rand? You've gotta be kidding me. He's a household name now and even then he got the credit he deserves. Paul Rand and David Carson...two very different entities here. Well nowdays, there are many horrible rip off's of David Carson's style. It's been done, now leave it alone I say! Yes, it was raw, edgy, and innovative but how much further can you take it? I don't think his style is overhyped, it's just that most people would rather not talk about his work these day's because it can definitely lead into huge debates and tension arises. Believe me, I've seen it and it's definitely not pretty! Lol.

Originally posted by spinsaikel

Paul Rand? You've gotta be kidding me. He's a household name now and even then he got the credit he deserves. Paul Rand and David Carson...two very different entities here. Well nowdays, there are many horrible rip off's of David Carson's style. It's been done, now leave it alone I say! Yes, it was raw, edgy, and innovative but how much further can you take it? I don't think his style is overhyped, it's just that most people would rather not talk about his work these day's because it can definitely lead into huge debates and tension arises. Believe me, I've seen it and it's definitely not pretty! Lol.

Although Paul Rand is well known, he isn't as widely recognized and brought up in conversations, mostly because people continue to follow David Carson's style and bring him up as their inspiration or people just assume it is. That's how it becomes overhyped.

I'm just tired of seeing these clean cut vector shapes with a lot of negative space around... bopping around to techno, i dunno if you know what i'm talking about, i'm just ranting now... :)

I should start my own innovative magazine somewhere in cali, do music posters and such.. j/k :)

I want to see something dirty.

When I was in school (I attended the maryland institute college of art) David Carson's name was rarely mentioned because he's not a hot commodity anymore. We all realized that he got his share of the spotlight so it's time to move on. When you say that Paul Rand was is rarely mentioned. That shocked me. If anything we spoke more about Paul Rand then Carson.

---DIRTY!----

Ok, you fucking want raw, edgy, dirty? Check out Stefan Sagmeister. His style is as raw as it gets. One piece he did, he actually etched type into the upper portion of someone's body. He is expensive to book for seminars but well worth it. Btw, nobody at MICA talked about Carson as much because he is literally an asshole.