Clubplanet Nightlife Community

If acosta is finished how the hell.....

jameznyc

I happen to believe that a DJ is at his best when he is playing music that he loves.

I can tell you that George loves what he plays. He plays it with passion and love and enjoys every record he drops. He also still packs rooms around the world, and yes, in Miami.

I am into a different sound than George's but I respect him as an artist, a businessman, a friend, a pioneer, and as a guy I counted on for years to deliver the good and make me money...he never let me down.

Your musical tastes may have changed since the Shadow Lounge days, but that does not mean that George sucks now. George is the same DJ that a lot of you used to praise as the greatest. I agree that GA hasn't changed his style significantly since then but that's because he loves that sound. There are many Djs who you still love that have not changed their style in years. But, instead of saying that you're not into the sound he plays, you say he's shit.

I really don't get it...people who claim to love Dance Music and the scene yet put each other down or dis the DJ if they disagree about which style of House is the best. Why not try to grow the scene by supporting all genres? Why not try to share the particular sound you're into with someone else and give their sound a chance? Hell, I even respect Saleen's love of vocal diva house.

In case you haven't noticed, this music that we love and its surrounding culture are under fire from all sides. Sales are in serious decline. We're losing clubs to Hip-Hop at an alarming rate. Dance labels are going out of business every day. You all praise Hooj and even they are now going out of business. Ultra has to jump through hoops to be allowed to put on a festival. Congress is passing laws that target this scene specifically.

My point is that this is the time for unity. This is the time to embrace all forms of Dance. This is the time to show clubs that they don't have to go all Hip-Hop to survive by supporting events even if there's no Tiesto on the flyer. Support George Acosta even if you are into a different sound. Support any Dance event and embrace every Dance fan. Grow the scene. Stop the negativity.

Either that or don't complain when the scene is dead and gone.

Dade

Originally posted by ogmiami

I happen to believe that a DJ is at his best when he is playing music that he loves.

I can tell you that George loves what he plays. He plays it with passion and love and enjoys every record he drops. He also still packs rooms around the world, and yes, in Miami.

I am into a different sound than George's but I respect him as an artist, a businessman, a friend, a pioneer, and as a guy I counted on for years to deliver the good and make me money...he never let me down.

Your musical tastes may have changed since the Shadow Lounge days, but that does not mean that George sucks now. George is the same DJ that a lot of you used to praise as the greatest. I agree that GA hasn't changed his style significantly since then but that's because he loves that sound. There are many Djs who you still love that have not changed their style in years. But, instead of saying that you're not into the sound he plays, you say he's shit.

I really don't get it...people who claim to love Dance Music and the scene yet put each other down or dis the DJ if they disagree about which style of House is the best. Why not try to grow the scene by supporting all genres? Why not try to share the particular sound you're into with someone else and give their sound a chance? Hell, I even respect Saleen's love of vocal diva house.

In case you haven't noticed, this music that we love and its surrounding culture are under fire from all sides. Sales are in serious decline. We're losing clubs to Hip-Hop at an alarming rate. Dance labels are going out of business every day. You all praise Hooj and even they are now going out of business. Ultra has to jump through hoops to be allowed to put on a festival. Congress is passing laws that target this scene specifically.

My point is that this is the time for unity. This is the time to embrace all forms of Dance. This is the time to show clubs that they don't have to go all Hip-Hop to survive by supporting events even if there's no Tiesto on the flyer. Support George Acosta even if you are into a different sound. Support any Dance event and embrace every Dance fan. Grow the scene. Stop the negativity.

Dade

Amen

Dade

I agree...

Especially at this point in time when a lot of crucial politics are going on regarding the scene: we need to show our support.

Dade

he doesn't get alot of love from CP Miami but he still fills the club. & he can make some $$$ still too.

xxx

Dade

Well Said. Amen to that!

Dade

amen to that x2

Originally posted by brwneydtrouble

True, he can sort of pack a place, but I happen to think that its more from nostalgia and name publicity. The question was more about why he gets better reception OUTSIDE miami. His residency at Level was great for a while......then his move to Spi was shortlived. Most people go because it is "GA" and frankly, I think most those people do not know what they are listening to and go because it is packed.

Just like this past weekend, when I went to Three Twenty, the old Spin......one of my old haunting grounds, I have many fond memories in that place, one of which was Biz's "Sally" beng tossed around and stabbed. *lol* The place was packed and even though I still love hip hop, the music was GOD AWFUL!!!! I could only stand 10 minutes of it at a time so I retreated to the upstairs to hear Sean Rudnick who was great. What a shame, the loft was EMPTY.

So what does that tell you? That certain people go where the crowd is, no matter how crappy the music is......

But how do you explain that in places like Dc, NYC, LA, and international gigs like germanys love parade and ibiza???? he draws big crowds .... Miami should be proud of the fact that they produced the best trance DJ in america who single handly changed the face of dance music in south florida in the 90"s and who imported the harder german trance sound that put miami on the map! and made shadow legendary! ill tell you one thing you"ll never hear NY"s disrespect Danny Tenaglia, Junior Vasquez the way miami trashes GA .... who"s next guys roland? edgar? oscar? Be proud of the talent you got and respect your roots

Originally posted by mrmatas2277

YES...

to be honest...GA lost it the moment Shadow Lounge closed down (which IMO was when GA did his last set there)...he moved over to Level and he was TERRIBLE!! i never heard him at Spi so i cant comment...GA has no progressed with the trends in Trance or in any form of dance music...u might commend him for that, but that is just plain DUMB with the way the market is right now...i havent heard him spin since his Level days, but if he is still playing "World In My Eyes" and doing his "Praise the Dj" pose, its pretty pathetic...if u like GA, good for u...but he has lost alot of his fans b/c of his lack to adapt with the music scene...btw i have been a Marlin's fan since they came into the league and even followed them after Hieznga (sp?) betrayed Miami and sold off its 97 World Champ. Team off...so its not about Miamians being selfish and bad fans...its about giving us a good product one year and then just selling its players and expecting people to continue to support a rag/tag team...but that is a diff. subject...;)

I have live cds of his level sets aand i must say they are nothin like the sets from club spin or various partys around the world. I definitly believe because of level although i may be wrong they probally wanted a more mainstream sound! perfect example i can see johnny vicious in nyc and hear him rip the roff off roxy but when he plays a mainstream club such as club abyss in jersey its more mainstream vocs i can see boris rip up discotheque than play a venue that demands a more mainstream influence. As far as him not changin his stlye GA is a proud to be trance DJ but lets be honest does PVD play for an angel still?? or Im alive?? of course he does... whats wrong with some classics thrown in has pvd drastically changed his sound and style? Will Danny Tenaglia sell out and turn his back on Deep nyc house? whats most important is these guys all have there very own sound! thats hard in electronic music as much as people bash oakie these days theres no denying you can identify a oakie tune within 30 seconds ...By the way im not a closed minded tranzhead i respect all forms of electronic music From mauro to JP tsettos ojeda oscar roland edgar eddie g vic dinair shawn ink danny howells etc as long as its good who gives fuck