Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Whack ass DJs

ianjohn

Webster Hall: Music is OLD!!!

All Clubs: Get talanted DJs back in the scene. Not these Promoters!!! The party should be about the music, not money. Make it about the music, and the money will follow. Parties used to last for years, now they last for weeks because you have the "Fireball" syndrome

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by ianjohn

All Clubs: Get talanted DJs back in the scene. Not these Promoters!!! The party should be about the music, not money. Make it about the music, and the money will follow. Parties used to last for years, now they last for weeks because you have the "Fireball" syndrome

couldnt agree with u more.........all these promoters now a days see money, just because u make a flyer and hand them out DOES NOT MEAN YOUR A PROMOTER OR SHOULD B ABLE TO GET A VENUE!!!!!....stop taking the easy way out and stop ruining the scene

I frequent Webster Hall. And I can name some songs that they Played. "Blackout" "Blow Up the Speakers" "Sandstorm" etc on the mail floor. Common, these are all songs that I was spinning at the tunnel 4 years ago. If you wanna hear new music I will be more than happy to give you one of my mixed CDs.

dude what are you talking about. Rick hast played any of those song since 99. And thats not even his style anymore. Your quite wrong there. Ive been goin to websterhall for 4 1/2 yrs now and im there almst every sat night and believe me you wrong abotu at nigts. Dont confuse people here. And when rick does play old school he plays true classics like : LOVE AND HAPPINESS, I'LL BE YOUR FRIEND, FOLLOW ME. SO you dont know what your tlking about if your referrin to sat nighs. ANd believe me none of thse songs are good anyway. So if he was playig crap like that i wouldnt be goin still.

Thats ur problem. You go to the same venue for over 4 years and you become loyal to that venue. Y dont you go out and experience the rest of the world. Or let me guess...You sit at home all say and listen to WKTU and you think that that is good music. HA HA HA The music industry in the US is pathetic. We gonna open our eyes and take off the blinders people. The rest of the world is out there.

Thats ur problem. You go to the same venue for over 4 years and you become loyal to that venue. Y dont you go out and experience the rest of the world. Or let me guess...You sit at home all say and listen to WKTU and you think that that is good music. HA HA HA The music industry in the US is pathetic. We gonna open our eyes and take off the blinders people. The rest of the world is out there.

Seriously dude I don't think anyone here desires to listen to the crap ktu that you speak of and furthermore there is nothing wrong with supporting local talent. You talk about parties that need longevity and the fact that promoters are ruining the industry. We totally agree with you sir. That is why we support our rick corbo on saturdays. On this one as Silverbull would say : It is about the music.:hat:

Who the hell is talkin about KTU. Thats a worthless DANCE station. I listen to tapes from back in the day on 89.9 with dj disciple (have you heard of him) about 45 tape in that collection. Im stuck at home without 5000 vinlys from my bothers collection. Mixed cds from various dj friends i have, as well as all the albums that i like to support. GLOBAL UNDERGROUNDS,VICTOR CALDEONE,PETER RAUHEER,DAVID MORALES,SAEED PALASH, ALL OF DANNY TENAGLIAS CDS, ALL THE SHELTER CDS. And whatever artist is putting out satisfying HOUSE CD Dude please ktu doesnt exist in my life. I go out on 4 o 5 nightsa week with websterhall incuded, please im loyal to a place that has something for me.Thisweek alone im gonna be AT CIELO on mon for FRANCIOS K, TUES i will be at SALA, WEDS i will be at LE SOUK, thur at DISCOTHEQUE for ERICK MORILLO, SAT webstrhall. Dude ive been thru a lot of the clubs that have been around since 98, so please the loyalty is notto the venue its to the dj. RICK CORBO, DANNY TENAGLIA are the only djs i would follow anywhere even canada if i couldve haved off that weekend from work. IBIZA next yr for the closin parties.IANJOHN seems to be the MESSIAH of these boards so what are you plans. Mr ghhhhost i sure your the greatest person on these boards so your sympathy has made my night. See ya at SHELTER on oct 12 for LIL LOUIE VEGA wait as a matter of fact i could care less if i do. BEST places i enjoy goin every week: CHEETAH,WEBSTERHALL, LE SOUK, ARC,SHELTER. But its more about the dj not the venue. Perfect example WHEN DJ MERRIT is playing at CHEETAH on suns its a great night of music but when DJ (BORING) BORIS plays its a terrible night.

Congratulations to silverbull. The fact that you mentioned 89.9 I really do give you much love on that 1. I dont know if that is a college, non-commercail, or dare I even say pirate radio, but it is down below the commercial range. Having been in radio and dealing with the industry I feel like the commercial music industry in this country is a joke. It is all controlled by large corporations like Clear Channel. And what they dont see is the rest of the world.

I've been around. DJing at venues ranging from the Tunnel in NYC to the Sound Factory in San Fran. The US has got to open its eyes to the rest of the world.

The original intent of this whole post was the address DJs that shouldnt and DJs that dont stay current. I am tired of these promoters going to me and asking "can you bring people?". That is not my job, that is theirs. My job should be the music, and to bring the people back for the second week.

And in terms of the whole music issue, there is more music out there. Check out the dance, club, and record charts from Germany, Holland, and the UK.

There is plenty of new music in this world. I dont want to go to a main floor of a mega club in NYC, the best city, and hear music that I was spinning 3-5 years ago during prime time. Again, if anyone want to challeng me on this, I will be more than happy to throw them one of my demo CDs. And if there are any other talanted, no name DJs, like myslef, and they want to cut a demo, I will be more than happy to let them use my studio.

People like what they like...

I DO NOT GO TO WEBSTER HALL but im not gonna bash people cause they do...thats their scene...its where they are comfortable.

I go to Factory..im sure 95% of the people on this board hate factory.

I dislike ARC, love the music, hate the crowd.

Leave people be. Do you actually want them to see the light? I know I dont. Keep em where they are. This way...everyones happy.

Tek

I'd like to address this topic due to the fact that I sincerely think IanJohn was referring to WH on other nights, NOT Saturday. Some people like to play "carefully". My reaction to that is stop being a bitch; Jump into the fire.

Saturday's at Webster Hall in the Ballroom with Rick Corbo you will hear only the most up-to-date music. Not music on bullshit KTU. Oh my God - Rick would die. He gets most of his stuff way, way, way before the general public would even hear it on radio, or whatever anywheres like 8-10 months before. Direct from studios to his floor. He schools his crowd on music. A true dj does that. You say you've been in the industry for years. Well so have I - 20 + some years. I've heard the very best at the Garage and Loft and the very worst at other venues.

Maybe you were referring to the imposter DJ called Louie DeVito. Now that's a brother that plays the worst shit ever put on vinyl.

Have you seen the posts re Avalon. Supposedly the top djs are playing there but the music hasn't been good. Just because a club is "NEW" doesn't mean its better. Webster has been around for yeeeaarrrs and it's still going strong. Yes, some changes have been implemented by management but they definitely work.

When you refer to promoters - they can suck ass. You are totally correct. They have the balls to ask a dj "how many people, etc". What the f>>>K. That is your job. A DJ is to bring his music, make sure it is the most current with a dab of one or two true classics for a drop, his stamina and fierce mixes that most people wouldn't even tell one track beat from another.

I got a demo for you. Rick makes demos out of his studio when he's not working on remixes for people in LA, Portugal, France and other parts of the globe.

The decision makers at WH know that Rick is an asset to their Saturdays. Kudos to them!

this thread is not going at all the way I would like it too.

So let me throw it around.

There are 3 maybe 4, different types of DJs out there.

1. The Superstar big name DJs like Van Dyk, Tiesto, Okenfold, Sasha, Vicious, Etc. These names will always pack a venue regardless of what venue they are in. This is good and bad. The venue makes money that 1 night, but the crowd that goes is loyal to the DJ, not the venue. NYC was better in the days of Twilo, when that was the exclusive venue for these DJs. Now every venue is trying to be like Twilo.

2. There there are the promoter DJs and CD DJs. These arent DJs at all. They dont know how.

3. Are the talanted No Name DJs that are getting screwed right now. Again, it comes to the question "Can you bring people" again, that is not my job. You bring the people, Ill keep them for week 2. One of my best friends, how is one of the bigger promoters in the scene once said "Sorry Ian, It's not about talant anymore, its about bringing people"

4. the fourth kind is the resident in house DJs that DJ at 1 venue 1 night a week, and thats it. The crowd is loyal to them, and the venue.

3 and 4 need to merge more!

Did you ever wonder how 12 promoters could pack a club, but 200 promoters could only bring 30 people other than themselves?

Now you mentioned Avalon, did anyone see the backroom setup. Where the DJ had 2 cheesy Numark CD players and a cheesy Numark mixer?

When I started DJing there were no such thing as CD players with pitch control. It was only vinyl. ALL HALE THE MIGHTY 1200!!!

Originally posted by Teknojunkee

People like what they like...

I DO NOT GO TO WEBSTER HALL but im not gonna bash people cause they do...thats their scene...its where they are comfortable.

I go to Factory..im sure 95% of the people on this board hate factory.

I dislike ARC, love the music, hate the crowd.

Leave people be. Do you actually want them to see the light? I know I dont. Keep em where they are. This way...everyones happy.

Tek

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss:D

Originally posted by jonhenry

couldnt agree with u more.........all these promoters now a days see money, just because u make a flyer and hand them out DOES NOT MEAN YOUR A PROMOTER OR SHOULD B ABLE TO GET A VENUE!!!!!....stop taking the easy way out and stop ruining the scene

Just have to put my 2 cents here on this post. Not coming on rude but not all promoters see money. Understand one thing about getting paid. First you get by salary and then you get paid by list. If someone is passing out or making flyers for a party sorry to say but that is "promoting". If you dont call that promoting then what is it then besides emailing. Whats taking and easy way out and ruining the scene, us, NO! We are the ones giving out the info, giving out the comps, and reduces. Im sorry but your comment has no meaning.

If it wasnt for promoters then everyone will pay full price addmission and dont know what the hell is going on at a venue. I cant see how a promoter is taking advantage of the scene. If its anything its the owners not "promoters".

victor soto

red carpet promo

You could start by avoiding webster hall :aright:

Parties were always about money, btw. It's just that good music used to bring good money, and nowadays, it's shit music that brings good money.

IANJOHN reasons 3 and 4 are why me and a few others support RICK CORBO every sat or chance we get. I dont care much when people bash websterhall cause believe me i know what you guys all mean. But when it comes to rick thats a different story. Im sorry im not a dj and nor do i ever aspire to beone. But i still believe VINLY should always be the way to go. This is an interesting topicbut like everything else in life. Your strong points will be somebody elses weak points. And vice versa. Personally if theres only one thing im jealous of the NYC doesnt have, its the fact that HOUSE MUSIC or better yet ELECTRONIC DANCE MUISC isnt as respected or normal like in other countries. Unfortunatey somebody siad thats because of the way things are marketed t middle white mainstream america. A very good and funny point was something like this. IMAGINE A 13 YR OLD KENTUCKY WHTE GIRL HAVING A POSTER OF KEVIN AVAINCE IN HER ROOM.

ok ok ok

after reading all this i can see some ppl are just fed up

and others are looking for something different-

both people are almost clashing on their words towards eachother but therers somehting your all not seeing here....

you are all looking for the same thing..

a party that is about the music with great unknown djs,

Well? will someone please stand up and take action here?

Ok looks like myself and Vsoto will have to do it then

as everyone knows... ( the ones that know me well enough) ...

i dont bother doing things with cheesy promoters-

i only work with ppl that can market their services and talents-

Vic... i got something set up for later this month-

shall we do a collab on it-

make it a free admission for all CP members?

this can be done easily

i already have alllllll the info and djs set up-

theres nothing more to do then add to the "promotional" support on it-

im actually getting $50 to do this-

not cause i want it-- that just what THEY came up with as my expence for doing it encluding some cd burning to pass out music-

how can you go wrong with that?

Originally posted by liqidtouch

ok ok ok

after reading all this i can see some ppl are just fed up

and others are looking for something different-

both people are almost clashing on their words towards eachother but therers somehting your all not seeing here....

you are all looking for the same thing..

a party that is about the music with great unknown djs,

Well? will someone please stand up and take action here?

Ok looks like myself and Vsoto will have to do it then

as everyone knows... ( the ones that know me well enough) ...

i dont bother doing things with cheesy promoters-

i only work with ppl that can market their services and talents-

Vic... i got something set up for later this month-

shall we do a collab on it-

make it a free admission for all CP members?

this can be done easily

i already have alllllll the info and djs set up-

theres nothing more to do then add to the "promotional" support on it-

im actually getting $50 to do this-

not cause i want it-- that just what THEY came up with as my expence for doing it encluding some cd burning to pass out music-

how can you go wrong with that?

Thanks atleast some people understand ...

yeah hit me off with full details..I have alot going on with AVALON & DEEP. I just wnat to prepare myself you know.

victor soto