Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Education and Significant Other

iamme

How important is it for your girlfriend/boyfriend to have a certain level of education? how important is their job to you? would it bother you if you found someone you really clicked with but she never went to college, or even dropped out of highschool?

she has to be a high school graduate. w/o, what kind of impression is that on the kids we might have. these days, i think you have to be an idiot not to finish high school. as far as college and or job she has, that doesnt matter as long as shes happy.

Just b/c someone has a college education doesn't mean they're remotely intelligent or interesting. And vice versa. What a person does for a living, imo, is more important... as long as he has drive and ambition, and doesn't plan on spending his life in a dead-end job... that's all I really care about.

Dropping out of highschool now, hmm, that's a toughie... I'd say it really depends on why they dropped out, and what they've done since then.

Originally posted by tastyt

Just b/c someone has a college education doesn't mean they're remotely intelligent or interesting. And vice versa. What a person does for a living, imo, is more important... as long as he has drive and ambition, and doesn't plan on spending his life in a dead-end job... that's all I really care about.

Dropping out of highschool now, hmm, that's a toughie... I'd say it really depends on why they dropped out, and what they've done since then.

i agree there are reasons why someone would drop out of hs. but my little brother who is a junior tells me the same things that i remember when i was in hs. ppl drop out because their either stupid or not willing to learn, criminals, or get pregnant, all 3 of these things are not unavoidable.

Originally posted by bullseye

i agree there are reasons why someone would drop out of hs. but my little brother who is a junior tells me the same things that i remember when i was in hs. ppl drop out because their either stupid or not willing to learn, criminals, or get pregnant, all 3 of these things are not unavoidable.

That's where the "what they've done since then" part comes into play. Everybody fucks up one way or another, some worse than others. If you've moved on to bigger and better things, I don't think you should always be forced to pay for a stupid mistake you made when you were just a kid.

Originally posted by tastyt

That's where the "what they've done since then" part comes into play. Everybody fucks up one way or another, some worse than others. If you've moved on to bigger and better things, I don't think you should always be forced to pay for a stupid mistake you made when you were just a kid.

agreed :aright: , though i dont consider someone in their junior or senior year a kid.

College education isn't really a big issue for me...College isn;t for everyone & some people luck out & find great jobs w/out needing college....As long as they are in a stable job that they like it doesn't matter.....But h.s. is a different story...There's no excuse why someone shouldn't have a HS diploma...Even if they don't graduate...at least get a GED or something....

I definately agree with you all that highschool is for certain a thing that should be completed, lets say even something horrible and rare occurs, at least a GED by means of following up on it is ok.

As far as college goes, my ideology is different. There is a misconception that all, and I repeat all college graduates are intelligent. But of course that is far from the truth, sadly a bunch of the time.

As far as career. Very un-important. She could be anywhere from a supermarket bagging woman to a special ed school bus driver to a noble prize winner, as long as two very important things exist. Love, and passion. Passion meaning generally speaking.

If she has passion, whether it be about stamps or writing poetry.... whichever... Im bringing her home to meet the fam.....:)

Never judge a person by their career.... use it for an idea about him or her, but to do so soley would be unfair.

i value education... and i value intelligence... but no i dont think that just because a person has gone to college means that they are more intelligent, however someone who goes to college, learns something and gets a great job out of it, then college is important to me.

Originally posted by linabina

i value education... and i value intelligence... but no i dont think that just because a person has gone to college means that they are more intelligent, however someone who goes to college, learns something and gets a great job out of it, then college is important to me.

Sweet irony.

I mis-worded that part with all who attend college, I meant only a few.

Hmm:laugh:

And coincidentally I didnt finish either. I did the off and on thing and have been off longer then I should have.

I was just reminising about this one guy I went to school with. He had a 4.3 gpa and was the head of the class, obviously, and had no real intelligence what so ever. Sort of scared me, or better yet, blemished my opinion of the education system.

as least some college experience is important to me... I'll still be bothered by him not finishing college unless he's really intelligent and smart and just doesn't need college like Bill Gates... =)

otherwise i just feel silly cause i finished my masters and going for phd while working and he'll be a undergrad drop out...

if its a relationship for fun and not actual commitment that leads to marraige than its ok.

Thrillfire, didnt mean to devalue the whole idea of education, I love people who strive for knowledge, I wasnt clear at all with what I saying. I was refering to the select few who just pass along with a degree in pottery and and then devalue a bit (to me at least) the whole idea of that piece of paper.

As far people like yourself, rockstars as far as ambition goes.

:rock:

Originally posted by bullseye

agreed :aright: , though i dont consider someone in their junior or senior year a kid.

Maybe it depends on how you were raised, but there is NO doubt that I was still a kid at 16 and 17! No matter how strongly I may have felt otherwise, lol.

i dated a girl that was 23 with a9th grade education and she had a decent job. Dumb as a fucking rock though, i had to dump her because i couldnt even hold a convo with her, she wouldve made a good wife though. because why would you want to have a convo with her if you were married anyway?

all iw ant is a good looking italian girl with a job/sweet and loves me.

Originally posted by iamme

How important is it for your girlfriend/boyfriend to have a certain level of education? how important is their job to you? would it bother you if you found someone you really clicked with but she never went to college, or even dropped out of highschool?

are we speaking about having a degree or some sort of formal education or a simply a well read / educated person???

Originally posted by eccentricmofo

Thrillfire, didnt mean to devalue the whole idea of education, I love people who strive for knowledge, I wasnt clear at all with what I saying. I was refering to the select few who just pass along with a degree in pottery and and then devalue a bit (to me at least) the whole idea of that piece of paper.

As far people like yourself, rockstars as far as ambition goes.

:rock:

ooooh.... ok, i remember going to undergrad and listening to people talk about how they are getting Ds just to pass because they knew their parents would set them up with a good job. just got a little bit on my nerves because some of us have to work very hard since we don't possess those types of connections. I think if my daddy knew someone who could set me up with a cushy job i wouldn't have gone to grad school.

Originally posted by thrillfire

ooooh.... ok, i remember going to undergrad and listening to people talk about how they are getting Ds just to pass because they knew their parents would set them up with a good job. just got a little bit on my nerves because some of us have to work very hard since we don't possess those types of connections. I think if my daddy knew someone who could set me up with a cushy job i wouldn't have gone to grad school.

Yup, exactly what I meant. I should of just said it instead of confuse even myself on that one. Also believe it or not, there was one particular situation that cut my passion/ambition towards a degree nearly in half and I feel made me knock down it a few notches on my self-priority list.

A little pretense.

I was that kid in highschool that ALWAYS was sent to the couselor for assumed drug use. (even though I never even tried anything til after highschool), I slept maybe average of 4 hrs a night which probably added to the druggie persona.

Anyways, I also was lazy, meaning if it bored me..I didnt even bothered. Started at the top of the class first 2 years then by senior year blah.. I think ranked 316 out of 326...horrible.

So, the education drive/lust/passion for knowledge did not occur until afterwards. And I went head over into writing. I loved to write poetry to stories, essays etc.

To make a long story shorter.

I wrote a beautiful paper, spent hours upon hours on it. Made two people I hardly knew tear after reading it etc.. and this guy shot me down, failed that paper or maybe a D, but all becuase I got into a debate about philosophy with him on the first day of class. I did something I call a "how bout dem apples move" where as not only did I prove my point but I gracefully made him look like a moron. On the topic of philosophy to remind you.

Well turns out, after reading the open outline of the semesters dealings, I noticed his name on the bottom, with a subtitle "phd in philosophy".

So you could imagine how I pissed this guy off to the extreme. And even though I shouldnt of allowed him to get to me that semester, he did.. in turn changing my whole perspective of the college scene.

I was foolish...but have learned.

And..Im rambling..so I shall end this rant...with...

a fish beating....

:deadfish: :deadfish:

if youre up to date on current events, geopolitical/political issues, have knowledge of the arts, do not just repeat shit you hear other ppl say and pawn it off as your own thoughts and beliefs, have manners, and you pick out european countries on a map... youre a quarter of the way there for me...

you wouldnt believe how many ppl could not do this, or even the united states... its odd... i could understand some of eastern-block its new terrority theyre always effing around over there and ish, but like italy france spain the big ass funny shaped ones... c'mon...