Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Books

Destiny

I just finished reading 'The Bell Jar' again. Still one of my favorite books. Right now I'm reading Charles Murray's 'Losing Ground'. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're interested in American social policy from 1950 on. For a pleasurable and light read, I recommend any of Nicholas Spark's books, especially 'The Notebook'. I like him because he has great skill in character development, and all his books take place in Wilmington, NC. Everytime I read one of his books, I feel like I'm on a mini-vacation.

Originally posted by mala

I just finished reading 'The Bell Jar' again. Still one of my favorite books.

The Bell Jar is great, i read it years ago but i think i'll dig it up again before i go see the plath film... i got kind of annoyed reading the book because Esther was so brilliant but she couldn't see it herself... people like that depress me, but i still find them facsinating... planning on reading The Journals of Sylvia Plath as well, her husband did a forward for the book that will probably be quite interesting...

anyway, the last book i read was White Oleander... i had started it and gotten more than half way through before i got busy with school and i finally had a chance to finish it... wonderful book, heartbreaking story... i love the author's style, vivid imagery, some great quotes... definitely recommend this read.

don't know what to move on to next, i have so many books... i have a bad habit of buying books when i don't have the time to read them and let them pile up on my shelf...

Originally posted by mssabina

i got kind of annoyed reading the book because Esther was so brilliant but she couldn't see it herself...

I don't think she couldn't see it. She didn't care to see. What does brilliance mean when you can't even be happy?

White Oleander was a great book. I just caught the movie on HBO. Worth watching.

Originally posted by mala

For a pleasurable and light read, I recommend any of Nicholas Spark's books, especially 'The Notebook'. I like him because he has great skill in character development, and all his books take place in Wilmington, NC. Everytime I read one of his books, I feel like I'm on a mini-vacation.

Definately one of my favorite authors..I just finished the wedding...good book;)

Makes you do some thinking

Originally posted by Destiny

Definately one of my favorite authors..I just finished the wedding...good book;)

Makes you do some thinking

The Wedding..is that the novel where the women chooses between 2 men? if so, I have been trying to read that book for years and always forgot to pick it up...wonderful read I hear

Originally posted by solbeam

The Wedding..is that the novel where the women chooses between 2 men? if so, I have been trying to read that book for years and always forgot to pick it up...wonderful read I hear

No its the newest book by Nicholas Sparks. Its the followup to the Notebook I think:confused: ...anyhow, its one of my favs:)

Originally posted by Destiny

What's the last good book you read???

Any recommendations for good books?? (Where's Mala and Marko:tongue: )

What book are you reading now???

:)

havent read a novel in some time... mostly work related material, or cookbooks... however i read Rules Of Atrraction after i saw the movie damn good.. better than the movie... and i reread the melancholy death of oyster by tim burton for the thousandth time lol... but ive been slacking... somebody recommended a book to me on here however i forgot the title... had to do with couples and dating in manhattan, and one of the guys was a broker or a trader or something and the girl said it reminded her of me... wish i could remember it... two books on my list that i havent read yet is fountainhead, and a random walk down wallstreet... any recommendations for anything else???

does anyone know any good true crime mysteries? i love that kind of stuff but i wouldn't know where to begin looking... truman capote did something like that that was popular back in the day.. i think...?

truman capote... whoa... i havent heard his name in some time... :aright: good to see ppl know more than just dr.seuss and shell silverstein...

Originally posted by dgmodel

truman capote... whoa... i havent heard his name in some time... :aright: good to see ppl know more than just dr.seuss and shell silverstein...

hey now, i have lots of respect for dr. seuss and shel silverstein... i have Where the Sidewalk Ends on my shelf to read whenever i need to feel like a kid again :D

hey now, i have lots of respect for dr. seuss and shel silverstein... i have Where the Sidewalk Ends on my shelf to read whenever i need to feel like a kid again :D

lol i have an autographed copy of "where the sidewalk ends..." wanna buy it??? you think its worth anything on ebay??? another good book i read when i was a child was "james and the giant peach" lol so long ago i read it when i was home sick with the chicken pox...

Originally posted by dgmodel

lol i have an autographed copy of "where the sidewalk ends..." wanna buy it??? you think its worth anything on ebay??? another good book i read when i was a child was "james and the giant peach" lol so long ago i read it when i was home sick with the chicken pox...

i'll give you a dollar!

i think ronald dahl wrote James and the Giant Peach, he did a lot of great childrens books... Witches, Matilda... The Giant or something like that... i loved Eloise books myself, big fan of any little girl that can make the Plaza her playground...