Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Hello From New York

obby

For all of you that say New York puts Miami to shame.

I myself have been here three days already. Been club hoping here and there and must say…..very disappointed. The clubs it’s itself are very beautiful but the sounds….how can I say this in a nice way……the sounds are very feminine. I went to check out one of New York’s best DJ’s Little Louie Vega who I though would impress me but unfortunately did not. So far all I have heard is retro disco sounding house. I am guessing this is the “classic†stuff Saleen is always requesting Miami to play

DON’T DO IT MIAMI

I do give the DJ’s here props for their mixing skills but come on. Disco is out. Been out. So far I have yet to find a good Progressive House or Deep House event so as of now. I am already looking forward in getting back home to beautiful Miami and my vinyls.

For the record guys, we have it made in Miami!!!!! Keep that in mind. Miami has more Euro sounds which to me are way more advanced than many other cities. DEEP and INTELLIGENT.

Nevertheless, I am having a great time here in New York. The restaurants are great and the people have been nothing but friendly to me. New Yorkers have my respect. I will be hitting all the vinyl shops for the next three days so expect some fresh new "Euro" sounds when I get back.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

Peace,

OBBY

Sounds Of The Underground

Obby

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did'n't say the music sucks. Just not my style.

I am looking more forward to the Winter Music Conference concidering that that is basiclly the only time I find myself surrounded by true Electronic Dance Music (and the CP BBQ's).

:D

Our locals are great and they have my support all the way but the vibe I crave usually only comes around two weeks out of the year.......WMC. (Call me Euro)

and in my bedroom of course :D

Never the less, I am still open minded to most sounds so I will make the best of what New York has to offer.

Have fun in Miami everyone.

PS: xxgrooveericxx

I am having some buddies here hunt down a copy of "Jayn Hanna - Lost" for you so if I find it....expect an early Christmas Gift. No promises though.

Peace,

OBBY

Originally posted by obby

I did'n't say the music sucks. Just not my style.

I am looking more forward to the Winter Music Conference concidering that that is basiclly the only time I find myself surrounded by true Electronic Dance Music.

Our locals are great and they have my support all the way but the vibe I crave usually only comes around two weeks out of the year.......WMC

and in my bedroom of course :D

Never the less, I am still open minded to most sounds so I will make the best of what New York has to offer.

Have fun in Miami everyone.

I am having some buddies here hunt down a copy of "Jayn Hanna - Lost" for you so if I find it....expect an early Christmas Gift. No promises though.

Peace,

OBBY

we already have it bro ... ;):tongue::D

and yeah obby ... that shit they play over there is gay as fuck .. but hey , fuck it .. i dont plan on goin clubbin over there any time soon after these reports

:laugh: :laugh:

Guest saleen351

this will go down as the jackass post of the year

JP

DT

Jr V

JV

EM

LES

RH

VC

PR

etc

they play disco? bro i have live set after live set after live set after live set from all the nyc jocks, far from disco, far from not being advanced. NYC house is back and euro trash house is out, but then again house is over and the scene is over.

Your post makes little sense, and go to show all of yous miami people whether in miami or outside of miami, miami people are just clueless on tunes.

COME ON PLEASE TELL ME, EM, DT, JR V, JV ETC PLAY CHEESEY DISCO........ IT'S AMAZING HOW MIAMI FOLKS ARE LOST... Where did you go, webster hall or speed:laugh:

Originally posted by saleen351

this will go down as the jackass post of the year

Sorry Saleen. Didn't mean to touch a nerve but...

You filled the "jackass post of the year" category a looong time ago Saleen. I doubt mine will fit.

COME ON PLEASE TELL ME, EM, DT, JR V, JV ETC PLAY CHEESEY DISCO........ IT'S AMAZING HOW MIAMI FOLKS ARE LOST... Where did you go, webster hall or speed:laugh:

We are not lost.....we just evolved unlike others.

Respectfully,

OBBY

Obby,

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the music. Yeah, it was classics night at Cielo (hey I did warn ya!!). I was planning on making my way there but it was too fucking cold. I was happy just sitting in front of my fireplace.

If you're staying through Monday, Francois K does a progressive set at Cielo on Monday nights you might like. ;)

Did you make it out anywhere else?

Guest brwneydtrouble

Meli, you know you can always bring her, there were a couple kids there.

Rain, I think that there will be a Rabbit show in miami pretty soon....at least that't what I heard through the grapevine.

And Obby, you are missed, come back safely!

Originally posted by obby

I did'n't say the music sucks. Just not my style

So in other words: Not your cup of tea? :tongue:

:werd:

That would be great! Good lookin out :aright:

Originally posted by brwneydtrouble

Rain, I think that there will be a Rabbit show in miami pretty soon....at least that't what I heard through the grapevine.

i wish it were soon. i spoke to Bunny on sunday and he told me that they were approached to perform in Miami, tonight. however, they turned it down because it would be too close to the conference. so it's either wait till then, or go to NY. I could wait till the conference, but seeing Rabbit on NYE in NY, would be outta hand no?

Obby, just so you know, euro sounds are not deep and intelligent. They are commercial garbage. The problem with electronic music in Europe is that it has almost embedded itself in youth culture so it is mainstream. It's analogous to hip-hop in the States. On tv, on the radio even commercials play trance and other electronic genres to lure the young consumer. Anyone who wants to go clubbing and knows music avoids superclubs these days. That's why Cream closed. That's why Gatecrasher @ The Republic in Sheffield closed. That's why MoS is changing format completely. That's why DC10 and so many other smaller venues opened in Ibiza. That's why Agia Napa tried to steer clear of it all by choosing to be a haven for UK Garage (at least when it first became popular). I agree with Macboy that he had warned about Lil Louie Vega's Flashback party at Cielo. When he came to Crobar for the VMA LA I heard he played very well with lots of latin sounds. I heard him at Shelter with Marques Wyatt and he was amazing. Just soulful, deep, funky house. Keep in mind that many of the major genres of electronica did not start in Europe. Europeans just picked up on the trend and brought it to fruition. Techno comes from Detroit (remember Juan Atkins and Derrick May?). Trance is a close cousin to techno. House comes from Chicago (Frankie Knuckles ring a bell?). Luckily, with so many people in the States choosing hip-hop and pop and country, many genres of electronica remain on the backburner which helps preserve quality to an extent.

I used to think that trance and all that crap was purely european and very elitist and better than everything else and totally intelligent. Then I woke up. I started finding out about real parties and clubs in Greece and the Greek Islands. They were few and far between but it was truly something different. Then everyone found out about them. I mean Greek singers now look to trance for melodies over which some studio techie plops a recorded greek vocal. Total cheese! Look at the french example. What they call french house. It evolved from house but the french wanted to put their own twist on it. It has now become their pop music. Cassius, Bassment Jaxx, etc.

Why pollute the somewhat more pristine US electronic scene with such awful mutants of dance music??? Leave the Europeans to fuck with it all they want!!! I'm not saying this out of hate for europeans. I am one of them. I'm just trying to portray a realistic picture. By the way, this past summer in Athens, clubbers were discovering hip-hop. This is cause they have completely commercialized and exhausted all possibilities for a different electronic sound. ANd I know Greece isn't the only country where hip-hop is starting to make its mark as the alternative dance music.