Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Review of Spirit Opening Last PM- It wuz not Twilo

So you've been anticipating the opening of this place holding out hope that some magic clubbing might return to NYC. I hope you didn't hold your breath. Overall, it was a huge disappointment.

The music was mediocre at best and sucked at worst. The DJ (David Morales) could have slapped on a good CD and done a better job keeping people dancing. The placed closed promptly at 4:10 am. There were more people over 50 years old than under 25 years old, the average age was 30. There were few hotties, and although no completely goofy, unsexy people there (like the hairy glow stick guy from Twilo), the crowd didn't strike you as sexy, groovy, or energetic.

The physical space is nicely done, especially the location of the DJ booth on the second floor just over the dance floor- its great to have a good view of the DJ. There is a restaurant on the top floor that is dark with a type of Asian minimalist furniture. A chill out room (the old coat check upstairs) with tarot card reading, massages etc, but no music in there. The VIP room is a narrow balcony that wraps around the circumference of the place overlooking the dance floor.

Few of you are probably familiar with upscale clubs in London where people go to eat a later dinner and then say for music/drinks/dancing (who the hell wants to eat if you're gonna use elements!)- but it looks like Spirit is an attempt to replicate a club like China White in London- an upscale place with a more "sophisitcated" (meaning middle-aged) crowd that is chilled out.

The physical space is still great, and when the club/restaruant/massage area flops, they can revert to having slamming music that pumps til 11 am.

BRING BACK SASHA AND DIGWEED!!!!

Originally posted by drbabybutt

So you've been anticipating the opening of this place holding out hope that some magic clubbing might return to NYC. I hope you didn't hold your breath. Overall, it was a huge disappointment.

The music was mediocre at best and sucked at worst. The DJ (David Morales) could have slapped on a good CD and done a better job keeping people dancing. The placed closed promptly at 4:10 am. There were more people over 50 years old than under 25 years old, the average age was 30. There were few hotties, and although no completely goofy, unsexy people there (like the hairy glow stick guy from Twilo), the crowd didn't strike you as sexy, groovy, or energetic.

The physical space is nicely done, especially the location of the DJ booth on the second floor just over the dance floor- its great to have a good view of the DJ. There is a restaurant on the top floor that is dark with a type of Asian minimalist furniture. A chill out room (the old coat check upstairs) with tarot card reading, massages etc, but no music in there. The VIP room is a narrow balcony that wraps around the circumference of the place overlooking the dance floor.

Few of you are probably familiar with upscale clubs in London where people go to eat a later dinner and then say for music/drinks/dancing (who the hell wants to eat if you're gonna use elements!)- but it looks like Spirit is an attempt to replicate a club like China White in London- an upscale place with a more "sophisitcated" (meaning middle-aged) crowd that is chilled out.

The physical space is still great, and when the club/restaruant/massage area flops, they can revert to having slamming music that pumps til 11 am.

BRING BACK SASHA AND DIGWEED!!!!

when the Fillmore east closed, it wasnt that it was the best of its kind, it that it was, the ONLY ONE of its kind.= UNDERSTAND???

This from someone with such classic posts as:

"i have been there three times, and each time it has been mad shitty...i went there in sept, and it got busted up and i was rollin face..."

posted here:

http://bbs.clubplanet.com/showthread.php?threadid=956

I'm sorry my contribution to clubland is not as significant as yours :rolleyes:

My advice to you is quit while you're ahead.

Originally posted by beatsfreak

that is the lamest thing i have ever read on this board, and believe me, ive read some lame crap.

piss off.

peas.

Shit, I TOLD YOU SO!!! HA HA HA!!! I think Avalon proved to us in NYC that its not gonna be the same. I lived at Tunnel, Limelight, and Twilo. I went to Avalon grand opening weekend, and it fawking sucked. I have not been there since. I told you all Spirit, wouldnt live up to Twilo.

Now Tunnel...? I DJed there for a year and a half. Out of all the venues that I have played at that was my favorite. But I hate to say it. If Tunnel reopened, I probolly wouldnt go.

NYC Is Dead. Im Outta here. The Local DJs are getting faked in NY. The whole scene is whack. Fak this shit.

DJs unite. Next time a promoter says "Can you bring people?" Tell him to fak off!!!

Originally posted by mattm2o

No it's not twilo nor will anything ever be!

Exactly...and if you go in there thinking it is Twilo you will be dissapointed. Twilo will never be duplicated, it is worthless to even try.

Spirit is something totally new and different. I truly feel it will do very well and bring about a whole new way to look at going out after a while.

As far as last night goes, I cannot comment on David. I thought his set was pretty good, and many people I talked to last night really enjoyed his music.

As far as the crowd goes, well it was a Grand Opening, so you will ALWAYS have a different and usually little older crowd there Many invites go out thru the PR companies, marketing companies, anyone affilliated with the club etc...

Im sorry but most of the influential people in the area that I know of are not the 22 year old clubbers. I do not forsee all of those people coming back every week. It was the grand Opening so they received an invite to come out and they wanted to check it out.

Throw 2 days of snow in and you know the people are not going to be out in full force. I talked to many people out last night and EVERYWHERE was empty. dont judge the crowd on yesterday. That would just ridiculous.

Every club takes a little while to work out the kinks, find out what works, music, crowd, staff etc...

to stereotype a place based on there grand opening (especially during a snowstorm) would be a little foolish. Give it a few weeks, come back and then make up your mind.

it is not intended to be a club in "factory" or "twilo" terms.. who told you is was gonna be like that????

had you paid attention to any posts or even had checked the website once, you would have realized that.

I thnik the place is great... it's not a club. It's an evening out. Takes care of all your needs.. food, entertainment, great vibe and beautiful people....

If you just wanna get all banged up and sweat, be around 20 year olds.. go to the jersey shore.

it's a friggin shame some people can't appreciate it....

.... and to say something should burn down???!!!:eek:

Originally posted by reddog4063

This from someone with such classic posts as:

"i have been there three times, and each time it has been mad shitty...i went there in sept, and it got busted up and i was rollin face..."

posted here:

http://bbs.clubplanet.com/showthread.php?threadid=956

I'm sorry my contribution to clubland is not as significant as yours :rolleyes:

My advice to you is quit while you're ahead.

way to post something from over 2 years ago, moron. first off, youre ignorant for what you said. how someone could wish something like that upon something or someone is crazy. second im sure youre one of the people that will go to spirit or have gone there and will leave saying, "its not twilo. nothing will ever be twilo." :rollseyes:

you must really be hurting for a reply if youre looking back two years ago.

quit while im ahead??? what are you gonna do tough guy? contribution to clubland??? rrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiigggggggghhhhhhhttttttt.

youre a tool.

:laugh: :laugh:

peas.

Originally posted by ianjohn

Shit, I TOLD YOU SO!!! HA HA HA!!! I think Avalon proved to us in NYC that its not gonna be the same. I lived at Tunnel, Limelight, and Twilo. I went to Avalon grand opening weekend, and it fawking sucked. I have not been there since. I told you all Spirit, wouldnt live up to Twilo.

Now Tunnel...? I DJed there for a year and a half. Out of all the venues that I have played at that was my favorite. But I hate to say it. If Tunnel reopened, I probolly wouldnt go.

NYC Is Dead. Im Outta here. The Local DJs are getting faked in NY. The whole scene is whack. Fak this shit.

DJs unite. Next time a promoter says "Can you bring people?" Tell him to fak off!!!

ppppssssssstttt...

hey buckwheat, spirit's been open a week.

you and lamedogg8675309 should hang out.

peas.

Originally posted by silverbull

DAVID MORALES not good i doubt it. You guys probably dont appreciate DEEP HOUSE. Theres more to house then LOUDER AND FASTER.

the beats were on.. David involved the entertainment and everything else going on...

some nice vocal house... and the some deeeper faster beats... a lil latin flavor... real nice.

Originally posted by silverbull

yo joe i was talkin to the person who startd this thread. Ive read your posts b4 and i know you know what the deal is.

I am not a hater... just cause it's not your style per se, doesn't mean you can't try to see the :) in it...

Spirit is different..it is, and noone is denying that... but don't knock it bruddas and sistas.. it's very cool.

clubs, entertainment were built on sharing an emotion, a vibe, a state of mind.. experiencing ...

the music is art, the Dj is an artist.. the design is art.. and where you take yourself through a night.. is art.

expression... that is what they are doing at Sprit. Hats off to them. I think they will do just fine.

...does that sound too flaky?!!! :)

when a dj comes into the both and looks at the floor

its like hes got a bag of puzzle pieces with him

the music is in pieces - its his job to assemble in so the people can understand the FULL picture and relate to it:D

my 2 cents

yes spirit and ALL the places would have had a bad turnout for the weather so lets stop with that and just be real here-

its ATMOSPHERE that we want right?

well all i see is what...two or three ppl that didnt like it?

so?

go back in a couple weeks

(WITHOUT MEMORIES OF TWILO) i mean this is 2003 and almost 2004

get with reality, twilo, as much as i did like it, is gone

accpept it and goto Spirit with the eyes of a NEW style of place--

its just that simple -stop thinking of the past.......;)

hell just cause i know some ppl looking for a NEW spot that is somewhat diff

comming in from the UK

im just getting done with telling them to come to spirit the 12th-

AZTEC

ill be shooting yo a message later this week

All the people that responded negatively to Spirit and the grand opening, etc. just seem to not get it. If you go Spirit with Twilo driven expectations and/or Avalon with Limielight in your head than it is no surprise that you are leaving dissapointed. Did anyone ever say, " go to Spirit its gonna be like Twilo used to be..." or "Limelight is re-opening its gonna be like the old days"

---->answer, NO... You should be able to go to these clubs with an open mind and be willing to welcome the changes IMO.

Its no secret that the big NYC clubs like twilo, exit, factory, limelight... etc. are not as popular as they once were and have been hurting lately. So when people take the initiative to try and rebuild and revive the nightlife in our city and do good for "the scene" which we all love so much, why not try embracing the change and the efforts instead of bashing and critiquing them.

With new clubs opening like crobar, deep, avalon and spirit you would think people would be happy but it just seems like everyone would rather be a jerk and just complain about how NYC clubland is dead and R.I.P blah blah blah. Wake up people, its almost 2004 and face it, clubland and mostly everything in general just isnt the same as it used to be. So why live in the past???

and i dont like to call anyone out usually but this thread pissed me off... but ianjohn, instead of complaining about how nyc is dead and your outta here... why not move out of here if you hate things so much. I cant speak for all of us but personally, i wont really miss your bitching...

my 2 cents...

Yeah we need to get a grip when comparing old clubs to new clubs, etc. Remember that PvD interview when he said he remembers playing to a half-full Twilo? It just takes time for a club find its niche and see what the market want/can bear...just as Az-tec says.

Also, we really need to remember, especially the peeps who've been clubbing for 5+ years and have probably seen it ALL, that the scene has gotten very mainstream now. I mean that electronic music has gain credibility leaps and bounds over the past few years because of the undergroud Limelight/Tunnel/Twilo experience. We are much more educated when it comes to the music, the drugs, and what we expect (all of us being music snobs and all) That being said VERY few things surprise us. S&D's residency was impressive because they brought a sound which was forgein to our ears so it kept us coming back every last Friday of the month. Now, with the internet and such, there aren't many DJs who can't be heard and therefore we know what to expect when they come to NY.

I know us clubbers are just looking for a place to call home and we've grown impatient because we've had it so good in the past. We just need to wait a little bit and eventually the market will drive the club owners to develop a place we can call home again. The club shouldn't create great memories for us, it's what the people bring that we'll remember.

My .02

Does this guy ever stop? Go ahead and get the fuck out of NYC already! Enough of your bitching. You were apparently lucky enough to get a gig wherever you were DJing, and didn't have the stuff to keep your job, whether it's because you don't "bring the people" or because you don't "play their music" or whatever reason it is. If you want to be a DJ apparently there are ropes that have to be jumped(as with any job), and apparently you're not willing to jump them (= no promotion at work). So be the fuck out, and quit telling us about and go do it. :blown: