Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What Grade do you give the club scene this year in Mia

Guest saleen351

What Grade do you give the Miami club scene this year.  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What Grade do you give the Miami club scene this year.

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Guest bluboy

Saleen, how can you post a poll and then bug a promoter who doesn't give it the same grade as you? You're biassing your own poll. Just wait and see once more people vote what the outcome will be. I for one gave it a D as well (compared to NYC).

bluboy gives it a "d" compared to nyc? what, are we grading on a class curve here? why not compare miami to its geographical neighbors, instead? or how about a grade that reflects its performance vs. potential?

looks like we need our own standardized fcat - the florida clubland achievement test.

Guest bluboy

If I had to give it a grade on its performance vs potential, I'd give it an F. Miami has some really great dj's who get very little or no recognition for their talent which helps to preserve an underground scene but at the same time, larger clubs are bringing in big names that really contribute very little to the Miami scene in the way of new music. They just serve as entertainment for one party on one good night. And there isn't very much wrong with that (many people cherish those nights and they make good memories) but if Miami wants its own club culture, it has to respect some lesser known home-grown talent as well as what's been termed as "the nu-breed" class of dj's. I'm not just talking about house music.

:D:hat: thank you.

Originally posted by bluboy

If I had to give it a grade on its performance vs potential, I'd give it an F. Miami has some really great dj's who get very little or no recognition for their talent which helps to preserve an underground scene but at the same time, larger clubs are bringing in big names that really contribute very little to the Miami scene in the way of new music. They just serve as entertainment for one party on one good night. And there isn't very much wrong with that (many people cherish those nights and they make good memories) but if Miami wants its own club culture, it has to respect some lesser known home-grown talent as well as what's been termed as "the nu-breed" class of dj's. I'm not just talking about house music.

attachment.php?s=&postid=1935031

I would have been a C+

> But unfortunately, I know too much about what was supposed / should / could have happend....

(not saying that others don't know, but most here have vested interests.... and don't compare Miami's Scene on a Global Scale :tongue: )

However , I do feel hopefull for 2004 :cool:

That's funny you mentioned that.. it's those same djs that you were prob all over 3 years ago. You know, the one's you thought you discovered when everyone else was on the PVD/Okie tip. The Lawler's, Kleinenberg's, Burridge's, Howells, etc. of today. Those same guys are HUGE now & it seems like it's not "cool" to like them anymore becuz they broke thru. Are you telling me these Nubreeds of 2001 don't "contribute" to the scene anymore like they used to?? I'm not takin' a shot @ you Phillip, I just find your statement interesting.

feel free to elaborate.. enlighten me... :blank:

Miami has some really great dj's who get very little or no recognition for their talent which helps to preserve an underground scene

Underground is where it's at.

More appreciated!!!!!

Understood more!!!!!

I tend to agree with Pod and Bling. I think South Florida as a whole (Miami-Ft.Lauderdale-West Palm Beach) should actually get an A, and Miami a B+

There's really only about 3-4 other cities in America that have a better scene than Miami. New York, San Francisco, Chicago, and L.A.

There's a lot of cities that have good club nights, but overall are the following cities better than Miami for clubs?:

Boston? Washington? Atlanta? Seattle? Houston? Philadelphia? San Diego? Dallas? Detroit? Minneapolis? Phoenix?

You think Hip Hop isn't big over there as well? Chances are if most of those clubs weren't playing Hip Hop they'd be playing what most of you consider very mainustream Dance/Pop, ie Freestyle, Euro, and remixes of Pink and Britney Spears.

Or what about this whole discussion with Dubby West Coast House? Isn't that mainly played in the smaller lounges over there? I mean, how many of those guys hold a residency in a big club in Cali?

In South Florida you can sniff around a bit and can find every week parties for House, Loungy House, Breakbeat, Trance, Progressive, Techno, etc. Not in a tiny shack, but in a decent sized club.

Miami is not to be compared on a global scale? What a load of crock! Miami leads the Global scale compared to most scenes, with the exceptions of maybe England and Holland. Oh, and you'd be surprised how many clubs in the UK close at 2 or 3 AM while standard closing hours are 4-5 AM in Miami.

In Germany and France a lot of the worlds leading DJs rarely ever get booked if at all, b/c France is so stuck on having everyone sound like either Daft Punk, Laurent Garnier, or ultra commercial stuff. The country seriously lacks variety. Italy? Where many cities are STILL mainly stuck on Italo-Euro, and where there's usually only very few clubs dedicated to Techno, or to Progressive. In Germany it's hard to bring acts from abroad b/c ppl usually don't want to pay $20-30 to see a foreign DJ (although in 2004 it'll finally start to catch up).

South America? You mean countries that barely had a scene 3-5 years ago, and where the economy has currently gone to hell?

Or maybe China and India dictate the "global scale"?

Want to find a wide selection of 21+ club nights? That's not a problem in Miami. Want to go to some decent 18+ club nights? That's not a problem if you head out to Ft. Lauderdale or West Palm Beach. In a lot of other cities the crowd is either too young, or the 21+ clubs are too small.

Overall, Miami is one of the few cities where promoters and club owners actually take more chances than some of you whiners actually realize. If only the rest of America was as good as Miami...

overall I rate the Miami scene with a "B".we have a ton of international DJ’s that come through this city. not to mention ,the deep pool of home bred talents we have. some of whom have been presented on an international level.

I wish someone would take the word "underground " and dump it in the trash where it belongs. I have yet to meet a Successful DJ. who said I want to be an underground DJ. IMO the goal should be to get your music out to the masses. while maintaining your creative integrity. the word underground IMO just screams of music elitism. this is not what dance music should be about. .

the frustrating aspect of our scene. is we have so much quality home bred talent, and not a large enough audience to support them. hopefully this aspect changes soon.

;)

Originally posted by CHRles

I tend to agree with Pod and Bling. I think South Florida as a whole (Miami-Ft.Lauderdale-West Palm Beach) should actually get an A, and Miami a B+

There's really only about 3-4 other cities in America that have a better scene than Miami. New York, San Francisco, Chicago, and L.A.

There's a lot of cities that have good club nights, but overall are the following cities better than Miami for clubs?:

Boston? Washington? Atlanta? Seattle? Houston? Philadelphia? San Diego? Dallas? Detroit? Minneapolis? Phoenix?

You think Hip Hop isn't big over there as well? Chances are if most of those clubs weren't playing Hip Hop they'd be playing what most of you consider very mainustream Dance/Pop, ie Freestyle, Euro, and remixes of Pink and Britney Spears.

Or what about this whole discussion with Dubby West Coast House? Isn't that mainly played in the smaller lounges over there? I mean, how many of those guys hold a residency in a big club in Cali?

In South Florida you can sniff around a bit and can find every week parties for House, Loungy House, Breakbeat, Trance, Progressive, Techno, etc. Not in a tiny shack, but in a decent sized club.

Miami is not to be compared on a global scale? What a load of crock! Miami leads the Global scale compared to most scenes, with the exceptions of maybe England and Holland. Oh, and you'd be surprised how many clubs in the UK close at 2 or 3 AM while standard closing hours are 4-5 AM in Miami.

In Germany and France a lot of the worlds leading DJs rarely ever get booked if at all, b/c France is so stuck on having everyone sound like either Daft Punk, Laurent Garnier, or ultra commercial stuff. The country seriously lacks variety. Italy? Where many cities are STILL mainly stuck on Italo-Euro, and where there's usually only very few clubs dedicated to Techno, or to Progressive. In Germany it's hard to bring acts from abroad b/c ppl usually don't want to pay $20-30 to see a foreign DJ (although in 2004 it'll finally start to catch up).

South America? You mean countries that barely had a scene 3-5 years ago, and where the economy has currently gone to hell?

Or maybe China and India dictate the "global scale"?

Want to find a wide selection of 21+ club nights? That's not a problem in Miami. Want to go to some decent 18+ club nights? That's not a problem if you head out to Ft. Lauderdale or West Palm Beach. In a lot of other cities the crowd is either too young, or the 21+ clubs are too small.

Overall, Miami is one of the few cities where promoters and club owners actually take more chances than some of you whiners actually realize. If only the rest of America was as good as Miami...

Amen.

Check your PMs.

Guest saleen351

1. there is no such thing as underground, those who speak of it, just play music, only a few like. Clubs are designed to have mass apeal.

2. with our only real club, old space, is gone, i can't really see how anyone can rate our scene higher than a D.

3. we had roland and oscar g spin at nerve, and 20 people showed up. just another reason why our scene is a D

4. Rivera drew in 20 people at maze, just another reason why our scene is a D

5. space was so desprate they put oscar on the patio, and i found out later it was his idea (oscar just play music and let LP handle where you spin) and it was a huge disaster. Ruined space for the short term, thus the only real club in town now had a resident dj you only could see if you smoked crack and stayed out till 10am. That really hurt clubbing in this town. People were accustomed to og in the main room, banging it out. Now we got trance in the main room and house on the patio. Our routine as clubbers was totaly fucked after this dumb dumb move.

6. Roland has fallen out of the public eye, yea I blame much of that on him and biz, but I also must blame the scene. There is no way a DJ as versital and talented as Roland should be relagated to spinning 2 hours a night at space, thus refer back to my #5 post. When they got nervous over there, they paniced and got away from the rountine that drew us in. It alienated the clubbers and djs like oscar an roland lost a lot of fans this year.

7. Rivera who is one of the best, can't pull crowds down here. People have zero appreication for him

8. Space closeing parties, nuff said

9. nerve and all thier bs. though they are doing better, but won't count for this year

10. crobar, still not a club

11. privilage, won't be around soon

12. nv, nuff said

13. pm sesssions, 5 venues, nuff said

14. maze, nuff said

15. ultra bs, nuff said

16. DT crying, nuff said

17. djs are so scared to play anything else in this town, it's like someone cloned og and 20 ogs spin around town, same bla shit you hear at every club. no one with balls.. though TKC reportedly hammered nerve one night.

18. infusion was sick, but only came back once.

19. pvd and tiesto continue to pack them in, while the tribal/house guys fail. I blame the music the house guys play, they don't get it, and will never get it. but one of them will have to change his style, but I can't leak that info right now, sorry.

20. banning saleen, nuff said

etc

etc

etc

etc

i can keep going,

the scene a -D at best...

I don't compare miami to any other city, I compare it to miami and miami only.