Clubplanet Nightlife Community

I want this camera ! ! ! ! ! !

elementx

No one bought me the one gift that I really really really wanted for X-mas...

The New CANON EOS REBEL DIGITAL 6.4 MP :drool:

Of course I did not ask anyone for it. And it is roughly between $1,099.00 and $1300 depending on the package...

But the camera is absolutely incredible... I own the Canon Eos Rebel 2000. And I am ( Up until now ) More of a fan of Standard cameras as opposed to Digital. I love photography and I love my cameras. Just waiting to get some extra cash together to add this one to my collection.

Here are the specs for anyone interested...

eos300d-frontback-001.jpg

eos300d-specs.jpg

eos300d-withgrip-001.jpg

Canon EOS-300D / Digital Rebel

Wednesday, 20 August 2003 18:00 GMT < Prev Next >

Canon has today announced the EOS Digital Rebel (US name) / EOS-300D (Rest of world) / Kiss Digital (Japan name). This six megapixel digital SLR is essentially a feature reduced EOS-10D in the EOS-300's silver body (plastic). It will have a body only priced of $900 in the US, €1,100 in Europe and 120,000 YEN (US$1,013 / €911) in Japan. This camera will be available as a "body only kit" or a "with lens kit", the latter will include a new 18 - 55 mm EF-S lens which has been "optimized" for the size of the D-SLR sensor (sounds familiar).

Although rumours have been floating around in the public domain for the last few days, Canon chose to take the unusual step of not pre-disclosing any information to us or any of the major publications prior to announcement. This despite our never breaking an embargo or NDA made with them or any other manufacturer. Hence we have not had the usual preparation time in which to produce our detailed analysis of this camera. Canon has not yet supplied sample cameras, so no previews are available.

Press Release (Canon Europe):

Canon EOS 300D - 6 Megapixel digital SLR for the consumer now a reality

Amstelveen, The Netherlands, August 20, 2003 - Canon, a leader in photographic and imaging technology, today launches the EOS 300D 6.3 Megapixel digital SLR. The lightest and most compact digital EOS camera ever is expected to ship with a price of approximately 1,200 EURO.

"Canon expects 400-500% growth in the digital SLR segment from 2002 to 2003 in terms of shipping volume2," says Hiroshi Komatsuzaki, Head of Canon Consumer Imaging Europe. "The EOS 300D will play a key strategic role in this growth. By dropping the price so significantly, Canon is very deliberately putting high performance EOS digital technology into the hands of the consumer at a time of accelerating demand for high performance digital cameras".

The EOS 300D bundles proven high performance technologies (such as seven-point, high-speed predictive auto focus, 2.5 frame per second burst rate, 35-zone metering and DIGIC image processor) into a camera affordable to everybody.

Canon has declared the EOS 300D to be the single most important consumer SLR since the AE1 in 1976. Just as the AE1 triggered an SLR revolution by being the world's first camera with an embedded microcomputer, Canon believes the EOS 300D will be seen as the point in history when the SLR market shifted irrevocably to digital.

Precision optics, unrivalled sensor quality

At the front end of the EOS 300D is the lens system and digital sensor. Film EOS users considering the move to digital will be pleased to learn the EOS 300D works seamlessly with any of Canon's renowned EF lenses, of which there are currently more than 60.

An APS-C sized sensor gives the camera a 1.6x magnification over 35mm film format. In order to furnish EOS 300D customers with the equivalent 28 90mm zoom range so popular with 35mm film EOS users, a new EF S 18 55 f/3.5 5.6 lens32 has been specially developed. This lens takes advantage of the compact sensor size, employing a 'short back focus system' which mounts the lens closer to the sensor than previous models. This provides high-quality images in a remarkably low-weight, short-length lens.

The 6.3 Megapixel CMOS sensor is almost identical to that found in the EISA award-winning EOS 10D which remains the benchmark for image quality. ISO speeds of 100, 200, 400, 800 and 1600 are selectable, giving film users a film speed range with which they will be comfortable.

Print straight from the camera

The EOS 300D is the first digital EOS camera to support the vendor-independant PictBridge print standard from launch date. Lab-quality prints can now be produced without the need for a computer by directly connecting the EOS 300D to compatible photo printers via standard USB cable. A large 1.8" LCD is used to select and review photographs to be printed and set print variables.

Fast image processing with superb results

Underpinning the camera's technical superiority is Canon's high-speed DIGIC (Digital Image Core) processor. In the days of film, image processing was the role of film companies and mini-labs. With digital, the critical role of image processing must be handled by the camera. Complex algorithms required to accurately process functions such as white balance and color rendition are integrated into the DIGIC processor, resulting in high quality images with no trade-off in camera responsiveness. "A great digital image requires both quality raw ingredients and quality processing" says Komatsuzaki. "Superior lens and sensor technologies ensure the best raw ingredients. It is what DIGIC does with these that gives the EOS 300D the edge".

Wide area, high speed focusing

7 selectable focusing points give an ultra wide AF area generally only found in advanced SLRs. Focusing modes include One-Shot AF (for fast, accurate single-shot focusing), and AI AF which can automatically switch to AI servo AF for continuous tracking of subject movement - well suited to sports photography. A Manual Focus override is selectable from the lens.

High-end exposure control

The EOS 300D boasts 35 zone TTL metering, essentially covering the full frame. Three metering modes (evaluative, partial, and centre weighted average) assure balanced exposures in every situation. Along with the full range of automated and manual shooting modes expected in a high-end SLR, the EOS 300D features Programmed Image Control modes such as Night Portrait, Sports, Close-up, Landscape, Portrait and Flash OFF. A built-in automatic flash pops up nearly 90mm above the optical axis to lessen the chance of red-eye for better flash photos.

Shooting adaptability

The EOS 300D is superbly specified to deliver outstanding results in virtually any shooting situation. The camera has a shutter speed range of 1/4000 - 30 seconds, bulb and high speed x-sync at 1/200s. Simultaneous recording to both RAW and JPEG (middle/fine) formats is possible, while 2GB and higher CompactFlash cards, Types I and II, are supported. Optional wired or infra red wireless remote control is available. Adobe RGB has been added to the standard sRGB colour space. There are seven Auto White Balance settings (such as cloudy, tungsten, fluorescent, etc.) plus custom White Balance and +/- 3 stop White Balance Bracketing (WB-BKT).

Comprehensive accessories, software and online access

The EOS 300D comes complete with battery pack, charger, USB cable, video cable, wide embroidered anti-slip neck strap. Purchase of the EOS 300D entitles customers to membership of the CANON iMAGE GATEWAY web portal for a 100 MB online photo album for image uploads. A full software suite is included for handling image file transfers between camera and computer, managing and printing files, and preview and conversion of RAW image files. PhotoStitch is included for seamless merging of panorama shots.

Canon EOS-300D Specifications

List price

(Body only) • US: $899 (Canon Rebel Digital)

• EU: €1,099 (Canon EOS-300D)

• UK: £899(Canon EOS-300D)

• JP: 120,000 YEN (Canon Kiss Digital)

List price

(Lens kit: Body & 18-55 mm lens) • US: $999

• EU: €1,199

• UK: £999

Body material Plastic

Sensor • 22.7 x 15.1 mm CMOS sensor

• RGB Color Filter Array

• Built-in fixed low-pass filter

• 6.5 million total pixels (3152 x 2068)

• 6.3 million effective pixels (3072 x 2048)

• 3:2 aspect ratio

Image Processor DiGiC

Image sizes • 3072 x 2048

• 2048 x 1360

• 1536 x 1024

File formats • RAW

• RAW + JPEG

• JPEG (EXIF 2.2)

File sizes (approx.) • 3072 x 2048 JPEG Fine: 3.1 MB

• 3072 x 2048 JPEG Normal: 1.8 MB

• 2048 x 1360 JPEG Fine: 1.8 MB

• 2048 x 1360 JPEG Normal: 1.2 MB

• 1536 x 1024 JPEG Fine: 1.4 MB

• 1536 x 1024 JPEG Normal: 0.9 MB

Color space • sRGB

• Adobe RGB (no parameter adjustment available)

Lenses • Canon EF / EF-S lens mount

• 1.6x field of view crop

Focusing • 7-point TTL

• CMOS sensor

• AF working range: 0.5 - 18 EV (at 20°C, ISO 100)

Focus modes No selection available, depends on exposure mode:

• One shot AF (Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Night Scene, A-DEP)

• AI Servo AF (Sports)

• AI Focus AF (Auto, Flash Cancel, P, Tv, Av,M)

AF / MF Switch on lens barrel

AF point selection • Auto

• Manual

AF assist Yes

Metering • TTL 35 zone SPC

• Metering range: EV 1.0 - 20 EV (at 20°C, ISO 100, 50 mm F1.4)

Metering modes No selection available, depends on exposure mode:

• Evaluative 35-zone (All modes except M)

• Partial 9% at center (Also with AE-Lock in P, Tv, Av, M, A-Dep)

• Center-weighted average (M only)

AE Lock AE lock button

AE Bracketing • +/- 2.0 EV

• 0.3 or 0.5 EV increments

Exposure compen. +/-2.0 EV in 0.3 EV steps

Sensitivity • Auto (100, 200 or 400)

• ISO 100

• ISO 200

• ISO 400

• ISO 800

• ISO 1600

Shutter • Focal-plane shutter

• 30 - 1/4000 sec (0.3 EV steps)

• Flash X-Sync: 1/200 sec

• Bulb

Aperture values • F1.0 - F91 (0.3 or 0.5 EV steps)

• Actual aperture range depends on lens used

White balance • Auto (3000 - 7000 K)

• Daylight (5200 K)

• Shade (7000 K)

• Cloudy (6000 K)

• Tungsten (3200 K)

• Fluorescent (4000 K)

• Flash (6000 K)

• Custom (2000 - 10000 K)

WB Bracketing +/-3 levels

Processing params • Parameter 1 (sRGB) - Default

• Parameter 2 (sRGB)

• Standard (sRGB)

• Adobe RGB

• Set 1 (sRGB)

• Set 2 (sRGB)

• Set 3 (sRGB)

Custom params • Contrast (+/-2)

• Sharpness (+/-2)

• Saturation (+/-2)

• Color tone (+/-2)

Viewfinder • Pentamirror

• 95% frame coverage

• Magnification: 0.88x (-1 diopter with 50 mm lens at infinity)

• Eyepoint: 21 mm

• Dioptric adjustment: -3.0 to +1.0 diopter

• Fixed laser matte screen

Viewfinder info • AF points

• AF/FE lock

• AEB

• Shutter Speed

• Aperture

• Exposure Level / Compensation

• Max. burst

• AF/MF focus confirmation

• CF warning

LCD monitor • 1.8" TFT LCD

• 118,000 pixels

• 5 brightness levels

• 10x zoom playback

Record review • Off

• On

• On (Info, inc. histogram)

• 2 / 4 / 8 sec / Hold

Flash • Auto pop-up E-TTL auto flash

• Guide number approx 13

• Modes: Auto, Manual Flash On/ Off, Red-Eye Reduction

• X-Sync: 1/200 sec

External flash • E-TTL auto flash with EX-series Speedlites

(No PC Sync terminal)

Shooting modes • Auto

• Portrait

• Landscape

• Close-up

• Sports

• Night portrait

• Flash off

• Program AE (P)

• Shutter priority AE (Tv)

• Aperture priority AE (Av)

• Manual (M)

• Depth-of-field (A-Dep)

Drive modes • Single

• Continuous: 2.5 fps up to 4 frames

• Self-timer 10 secs

Direct printing • Canon Card Photo Printers

• Canon Bubble Jet Printers with direct print function

• PictBridge

Other features • Orientation sensor

• Automatically writes FAT16/FAT32 depending on capacity

• LCD panel illumination

Auto rotation • On (playback uses orientation data in file header)

• Off

Playback mode • Single image

• Single image with info (inc. histogram)

• Magnified view (1.5 - 10x in 15 steps, browsable)

• 9 image index

• Auto play

• Image rotation

• Jump

Custom functions None

Menu languages • English

• French

• German

• Spanish

• Italian

• Dutch

• Swedish

• Norwegian

• Danish

• Finnish

• Chinese

• Japanese

Firmware User upgradable

Connectivity • USB 1.1 (inc PTP)

• A/V out

Storage • Compact Flash Type I or II

• Microdrive supported

• FAT 12/16 and FAT 32 support

• No CF card supplied

Power • Lithium-Ion BP-511/512 rechargeable battery (supplied & charger)

• CR2025 Lithium battery (date/time backup)

• Optional AC adapter

Dimensions 142 x 99 x 72 mm (5.6 x 3.9 x 2.8 in)

Weight (inc batt) 645 g (1.4 lb)

Canon EOS-300D More Pictures

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Originally posted by glowgrlnyc

6.4 MP :eek: :eek: NICE!!!!

Sony has an 8mp

But I like this one cause it is the exact camera that I have in the standard film version... And the lenses from both are interchangable!!!

Good shit. Gonna wait till I get my tax return for this beauty... :D

ISO 100 - 1600 !!! Have not seen many Digital Cameras where the ISO is that high...

Too many incredible options to personaly go over the ones that most impressed me... But when I get it I will be sure to post my work. ;)

Originally posted by elementx

Sony has an 8mp

But I like this one cause it is the exact camera that I have in the standard film version... And the lenses from both are interchangable!!!

Good shit. Gonna wait till I get my tax return for this beauty... :D

ISO 100 - 1600 !!! Have not seen many Digital Cameras where the ISO is that high...

Too many incredible options to personaly go over the ones that most impressed me... But when I get it I will be sure to post my work. ;)

and this whole time im thinking my camera RULES....its 4.0mp :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ooo, elementx - just have to throw in my two cents on this one:

my store has sold about 15 or so of those, and three have been returned, defective. that's a terrible percentage :eek: . the advent of the digital rebel was really exciting and the camera has been selling very well, but it seems to not be well-made. i do agree that digital slrs are the shit and i want one myself, but i strongly advise against the digital rebel.

that said, i have never seen the digital rebel cost more than $999. anyplace selling it for more than that shouldn't be considered. ritz, wolf, inkley's, and kits camera all have it for that price (they are all encompassed by the co. for which i work; there's a wolf camera in nyc on b'way in the upper 80s), and so do all of our local competitors. since there are ritzes and wolfs in new york, the other stores ya got should have it for the same price, if they wanna compete.

i reiterate, though, that i don't recommend it, and that there are a lot of other digital slrs out there now from which to choose.

Originally posted by weyes

ooo, elementx - just have to throw in my two cents on this one:

my store has sold about 15 or so of those, and three have been returned, defective. that's a terrible percentage :eek: . the advent of the digital rebel was really exciting and the camera has been selling very well, but it seems to not be well-made. i do agree that digital slrs are the shit and i want one myself, but i strongly advise against the digital rebel.

that said, i have never seen the digital rebel cost more than $999. anyplace selling it for more than that shouldn't be considered. ritz, wolf, inkley's, and kits camera all have it for that price (they are all encompassed by the co. for which i work; there's a wolf camera in nyc on b'way in the upper 80s), and so do all of our local competitors. since there are ritzes and wolfs in new york, the other stores ya got should have it for the same price, if they wanna compete.

i reiterate, though, that i don't recommend it, and that there are a lot of other digital slrs out there now from which to choose.

Would you mind listing a few. And maybe places to find them...

The price on the Rebel was including all kinds of extras for $1200 the actuall price of the camera alone I have seen for between $899 and $999.

$899 just being the Body. $ 999 with lens.

Maybe there have been problems with the model because it is something new. Maybe the company will work out the bugs. At least I hope so. Like I said I have the Rebel 2000 and love the camera. Get great pictures with it and have never had any problems. I would like to stay in the same family for 2 reasons. Because I have one already and because I believe I can use my lenses that I already own on the Digital version...

Thanks for all the input. :kiss2: