Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Cardio & muscle gain .

mursa

I usually spend around 30-45 minutes doing Cardio work when I go do a workout .

In the end I usually spend around 1.30-1.45hr total time including muscle resistance training .

I've been thinking of cutting back my cardio so that I do not spend nearly 2 hours in the gym , Im looking into doing around 1 hr of resistance training .

PS... i do not need to loose weight , im simply striving to gain around 10-15lbs of muscle mass .

What are your thoughts on the subject ? Will cutting back on the cardio have negative effects on my muscle gain ?

:cool:

Performing cardio of 45 minutes, while performing weight exercises of 1hr could affect your goals negatively in the sense that your metabolism would have a greater tendency to become catabolic... in essence, your body could resort to breaking down muscle if it has exhausted it's fuel supply. If you are simply trying to "bulk up," I would suggest eating enough protein throughtout the day (not just one large protein drink and that's it). In my case, I consume a whey protein shake before (45min) my workout and immediately after, while eating plenty of chicken, beef or fish throughout the day. I have noticed fair results so far during the past six months... you should also cut down on the amount of cardio. IF you are looking to bulk up, I would limit my cardio to no more than 2 or 3 times a weekend and definitely not 45 minutes in duration... maybe 20 - 25 at most.

i do not need to loose weight , im simply striving to gain around 10-15lbs of muscle mass .

If your only goal is to pack on some muscle mass, I don't see why you're doing any cardio at all, as this can be counter-productive.

Regular cardio at the rate you have mentioned will only keep your rested metabolic rate (RMR) at such a high level that it becomes increasingly difficult to consume enough calories in the course of the day to accomplish what you want.

In order to add muscle mass -- especially since it seems that you're at a relatively advanced fitness stage -- is to consume enough calories over and beyond what your body naturally "burns" off on a daily basis. Eat as much protein as you like, but it will not build muscle if it is being burned off as part of your daily caloric expenditure.

That being said, I have this piece of advice.

The good news is that your workout sessions should definitely become shorter in duration. Shorter even than a hour. I would recommend that you do 30 minutes, 45 minutes max, no cardio.

The key is that you keep your workouts intense. Shorter periods of rest in between sets, even heavier weights, forced reps, drops sets, super sets, etc...

Good luck

Originally posted by voluptuary

If your only goal is to pack on some muscle mass, I don't see why you're doing any cardio at all, as this can be counter-productive.

Regular cardio at the rate you have mentioned will only keep your rested metabolic rate (RMR) at such a high level that it becomes increasingly difficult to consume enough calories in the course of the day to accomplish what you want.

In order to add muscle mass -- especially since it seems that you're at a relatively advanced fitness stage -- is to consume enough calories over and beyond what your body naturally "burns" off on a daily basis. Eat as much protein as you like, but it will not build muscle if it is being burned off as part of your daily caloric expenditure.

That being said, I have this piece of advice.

The good news is that your workout sessions should definitely become shorter in duration. Shorter even than a hour. I would recommend that you do 30 minutes, 45 minutes max, no cardio.

The key is that you keep your workouts intense. Shorter periods of rest in between sets, even heavier weights, forced reps, drops sets, super sets, etc...

Good luck

:aright: .... I very much leaning into taking this approach .