Clubplanet Nightlife Community

State of New York Afterhours

Let's face facts. New York afterhours is basically dead. SF is pretty much done, Arc is over in March, and our last bastion of hope was Crobar which is no longer going that route. All that is left is Centro, which is trying to score a profit anyway it can because no one goes there anymore, and Discoteque, which is a zoo, and you can't even move.

It really blows. People can talk all they want about how it's actually better because only the druggies go out at that time, etc., but one of the great things about New York was that there used to be so much choice. Go out whenever you want, and always be surrounded by hundreds of people who wanted to go out the same time and party the same way you did. Now, clubs are open 10-4 (or 5 or 6), which means there IS NO MORE CHOICE. With all the money that you need to live/spend time in the city, what is the sense anymore? New York might as well be Boston, Chicago, Phoenix, Philadephia. What's to stop the "neighborhood watchdogs" from forcing the issue and making clubbing hours from 8- 1 am? You don't think it can happen? It is like that in a lot of places in this country.

Sorry for venting. It just pisses me off so much.

Originally posted by someclown

Let's face facts. New York afterhours is basically dead. SF is pretty much done, Arc is over in March, and our last bastion of hope was Crobar which is no longer going that route. All that is left is Centro, which is trying to score a profit anyway it can because no one goes there anymore, and Discoteque, which is a zoo, and you can't even move.

It really blows. People can talk all they want about how it's actually better because only the druggies go out at that time, etc., but one of the great things about New York was that there used to be so much choice. Go out whenever you want, and always be surrounded by hundreds of people who wanted to go out the same time and party the same way you did. Now, clubs are open 10-4 (or 5 or 6), which means there IS NO MORE CHOICE. With all the money that you need to live/spend time in the city, what is the sense anymore? New York might as well be Boston, Chicago, Phoenix, Philadephia. What's to stop the "neighborhood watchdogs" from forcing the issue and making clubbing hours from 8- 1 am? You don't think it can happen? It is like that in a lot of places in this country.

great points. I agree.

I thought that was just a rumor and i assumed after the bullshit smoking law, club and bar owners would be on top of this and not allow something like this to pass a vote. The paper said bloomberg was "proposing" this idea of 1 am or get a special license. Has it passed and if so, why wouldnt the big clubs just pay the extra $$$ for the license or is it, they will find a reason not to let them get it?

Is it official. This is terrible if it is. Just when places like Avalon and Crobar were bringing in such amazing acts too:(

BULLSHIT!

Is it official? What will happen when pvd, ferry, s&d and cox come in the next month or is it not official?

If it is official, is it really 1am? Why not 4am like the bars or is this just the start of the time they are going to get the bars to close as well? what the ????

Originally posted by someclown

:argue2::cuss:

Originally posted by crowina

:( i don't get out of work till 1am or so...i take a nap, then go out. what about all the resturant workers? were will we go?

You can sit home and cuddle up with a nice movie. How about doing that every weekend? Bloomberg sucks.

I cant stand when people say the SCENE is not dead you just have to know where to look ...Fuck you this is NYC you should not have to LOOK for anything...Compared to 98,99 yes the scene is dead,,,, Dont get me wrong i love NYC and i hope it turns around soon,,,,,,,,

I agree...bloomberg is fucking up NYC scene....the smoking law is bad enough....but think about the fact of how many people love and go to these clubs everyweekend....there is enough of us to do something about this...thats what the constitution is for.....the hardest part is to get everyone together and actually do something....and how hard could that possibly be.....lets take what is rightfully ours back....

Not all there, great post. (Yeah right) Great way to keep the scene, shouting out on a message board, the scene will be alive as long as there are drugs. Moron, that is one of the many reasons afterhours and that shit cannot go on, b/c kids are walking around the streets at 12 in the afternoon all cracked of there skull.

It is up too all of us, the true househeads to keep this scene alive. What we cannot do is parade around say "oh the drugs will keep the scene alive, and stupid shit like that. Think with your head people. The scene is going to stay alive because of the househeads that love and appreciate the music, and love going to a great party, and supporting the scene. I know a lot of people that don't get all drugged up to go out to a party, and have a great time, so too say the drugs will keep the scene alive is a wrong fn statement. Sorry everyone that just pissed me the f!@# off.

So with all said, support the scene to the fullest, and be smart with the shit that you all do, otherwise staying out till 4am and afterhours will be something we tell our grandkids about.

Later

MO

Not all there, great post. (Yeah right) Great way to keep the scene, shouting out on a message board, the scene will be alive as long as there are drugs. Moron, that is one of the many reasons afterhours and that shit cannot go on, b/c kids are walking around the streets at 12 in the afternoon all cracked of there skull.

It is up too all of us, the true househeads to keep this scene alive. What we cannot do is parade around say "oh the drugs will keep the scene alive, and stupid shit like that. Think with your head people. The scene is going to stay alive because of the househeads that love and appreciate the music, and love going to a great party, and supporting the scene. I know a lot of people that don't get all drugged up to go out to a party, and have a great time, so too say the drugs will keep the scene alive is a wrong fn statement. Sorry everyone that just pissed me the f!@# off.

So with all said, support the scene to the fullest, and be smart with the shit that you all do, otherwise staying out till 4am and afterhours will be something we tell our grandkids about.

Later

MO

Later

MO

Originally posted by puzzledprod

everyone has been saying great things about discotech's afterhours, no? Who asides from the usual jp, jr would be able to pull a good crowd.

Junior and Twilo :( :( :(

Man, that was my spot. Oh the memories...<sniff sniff>

Presidents Day parties..who remembers Danny T and Carl Cox... FUCK........... Fucking the luxury of Sasha and Diggers once a month......... The fucking huge wooden floor. <sniff sniff>

As long as i have my CD's my head will be ok, its my legs that are mad

Originally posted by i3igtimegq

I agree...bloomberg is fucking up NYC scene....the smoking law is bad enough....but think about the fact of how many people love and go to these clubs everyweekend....there is enough of us to do something about this...thats what the constitution is for.....the hardest part is to get everyone together and actually do something....and how hard could that possibly be.....lets take what is rightfully ours back....

I think you are right. There has to be a way that the club owners, promoters, and clubbers can politically manipulate the scene. Or is everybody too cracked out to even try?