Clubplanet Nightlife Community

NJ Promoter Says to the DJ:

"OK, brother, your on in 10 minutes... Wow, we have a packed house with TONs of chicks...siiiick. Now, a few last minute things, can you play looooots of Vocals first, b/c no one wants to hear any trance or hard stuff.....riiiiight..... YES, Appreciate me would be a siiiiick opener. Now once the chicks are dancing to the vocals I want you to play some play sing along vocals (whats that wooooo oooo wooooo oooo song from the Yankee games?) b/c I need to keep my crowd here, Your Love Is My Love puurrrfect, then I want you to do a Retro Metro ...cough cough... I mean "classics" set for all the girls to dance to. Hey, that JP factory stuff, NOOOO !!!!!

take it easy brother, this is New Jersey and we want, I mean the crowd wants KTU style jams. Now once you get people going, I will you give you a nice playlist for you to choose from and if your good Ill let you close with Aftermath....

OK good luck, hey where is everyone going on route 4 east?"

More reasons things suck this year in the non existant NJ scene.

CD

bro you are wrong here....I have NEVER been told by a promoter what to play

instead all of these DJ's decide to play this shit on their own b/c they want to keep getting booked...its like a vicious cycle

"'classics' keep more people on the floor than new music does--which leads to DJ's being afraid to break new records--"

this thinking is maybe why u call the scene "non existant"

Originally posted by djmikebugout

bro you are wrong here....I have NEVER been told by a promoter what to play

instead all of these DJ's decide to play this shit on their own b/c they want to keep getting booked...its like a vicious cycle

"'classics' keep more people on the floor than new music does--which leads to DJ's being afraid to break new records--"

this thinking is maybe why u call the scene "non existant"

MIKE calm down, take it down a notch with a little Flow and then play Flowers..... easy... Platnum has some cool dude running the place, be happy you work for him, I can't see him saying that buy you never know.

Premo sees the light....

Originally posted by thesandman

MIKE calm down, take it down a notch with a little Flow and then play Flowers..... easy... Platnum has some cool dude running the place, be happy you work for him, I can't see him saying that buy you never know.

Premo sees the light....

F L O W E R S, F L O W E R S

Classic song!

Victor Soto

I think the key is to wedge a hot new track in between some floor fillers...any good dj knows this if they want to stay employed. My beef w/ djs is that if they play classics it tends to be the same classics every week. There are plenty of good "old" records out there to select from w/o repeating the same ones every week

"OK, brother, your on in 10 minutes... Wow, we have a packed house with TONs of chicks...siiiick. Now, a few last minute things, can you play looooots of Vocals first, b/c no one wants to hear any trance or hard stuff.....riiiiight..... YES, Appreciate me would be a siiiiick opener. Now once the chicks are dancing to the vocals I want you to play some play sing along vocals (whats that wooooo oooo wooooo oooo song from the Yankee games?) b/c I need to keep my crowd here, Your Love Is My Love puurrrfect, then I want you to do a Retro Metro ...cough cough... I mean "classics" set for all the girls to dance to. Hey, that JP factory stuff, NOOOO !!!!!

take it easy brother, this is New Jersey and we want, I mean the crowd wants KTU style jams. Now once you get people going, I will you give you a nice playlist for you to choose from and if your good Ill let you close with Aftermath....

CD

Ive never once told any DJ what to play, Maybe discussed some tracks with richie that i wanted to hear, or what i think would go over well at the present time, but NEVER told him what to play and when to play it. Especially cheeese tracks. you need to stop Categorizing EVERY jersey club and EVERY jersey promoter, its kinda ridiculous. You maybe right that SOME do this but Not ALL.

Premo sees the light....

i know you are just kidding around and Platinum is nice like that where i can play some new music and the crowd likes it...

but i agree with binoy, by generalizing the whole scene it demeans it. There are some parties worth going to and some DJ's worth hearing...

:D

Mike

Originally posted by binoys

Ive never once told any DJ what to play, Maybe discussed some tracks with richie that i wanted to hear, or what i think would go over well at the present time, but NEVER told him what to play and when to play it. Especially cheeese tracks. you need to stop Categorizing EVERY jersey club and EVERY jersey promoter, its kinda ridiculous. You maybe right that SOME do this but Not ALL.

Binoy.... sit in the corner and don't come out til you think you can behave... someone needs a time out.

I was just posting to get a good discussion going, and if you read the replies it worked.......

Binoy.... sit in the corner and don't come out til you think you can behave... someone needs a time out.

I was just posting to get a good discussion going, and if you read the replies it worked.......

Just sayin you always say EVERY CLUB and EVERY Promoter, there are plenty of us that are tryin to do diff things and keepin it real and about the music.

CD

ok, i never really post but i had to on this subject. i didn't read all the reply's so forgive me if i repeat somebody else. the first thing, if a promoter has to tell a dj what to play and when GET A NEW DJ. any dj that has been doing the job for any amount of time knows how to dj and should be able to read a crowd. any good dj nows that u dont start playing HARD tracks at 10:00 . vocals were always for the ladies. if the ladies are happy, they will stay and the boys will come. a playlist, what kind of party are u having a wedding? anyway, that is some funny shit :laugh: mike i agree with you, that alot of dj's are scared to play new stuff. if people would have an open mind and "just dance" drink and have a good time. ok i feel better now :hat:

Originally posted by djfrankie

ok, i never really post but i had to on this subject. i didn't read all the reply's so forgive me if i repeat somebody else. the first thing, if a promoter has to tell a dj what to play and when GET A NEW DJ. any dj that has been doing the job for any amount of time knows how to dj and should be able to read a crowd. any good dj nows that u dont start playing HARD tracks at 10:00 . vocals were always for the ladies. if the ladies are happy, they will stay and the boys will come. a playlist, what kind of party are u having a wedding? anyway, that is some funny shit :laugh: mike i agree with you, that alot of dj's are scared to play new stuff. if people would have an open mind and "just dance" drink and have a good time. ok i feel better now :hat:

OMG.... someone read my post. laughed and also saw my point.... theres a first...... thanx dude

• 2 years later...

This is a great thread Sandman.

Sucks the some DJs had to back down their style that used to play back in 2002 and 2003 only cuz you have promoters and owners tell em not to get too hard and scare away the girls

but if thats the direction they wanna go, so be it

im sure no one realised that this post was from like 3 years ago lol.........sandman!!!!!

Ya know what though hype, the reality of it is.....the djs that changed the style from 2002 or 2003 are still the biggest djs in the scene in jersey.....the ones who did not change.......are spinning in resturants, and begging for gigs. Thats where the so-called scene went. When you put a real party together,play the right music (in the PEOPLES eyes, NOT the djs ) it will be a scene and a vibe like everyone is searching for. Its not brain surgery.Remember, its not that cool for a dj , or the club,to be spinning for no one in a room.

Also remember, djs do not spin for the "love of music", if you believe that one.....remind the so called "big djs" that when they are in discusion for their fee to be paid, then you will find out who is really keepin it real, u would be surprised.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

im sure no one realised that this post was from like 3 years ago lol.........sandman!!!!!

Ya know what though hype, the reality of it is.....the djs that changed the style from 2002 or 2003 are still the biggest djs in the scene in jersey.....the ones who did not change.......are spinning in resturants, and begging for gigs. Thats where the so-called scene went. When you put a real party together,play the right music (in the PEOPLES eyes, NOT the djs ) it will be a scene and a vibe like everyone is searching for. Its not brain surgery.Remember, its not that cool for a dj , or the club,to be spinning for no one in a room.

$

i look at it as expansion and exposure

if they are happy collecting a paycheck and not being able to spin in different venues, not gaining exposure and being labeled as a Party DJ, more power to em

the ones who didn't change are also the ones spinning outside of jersey in big name clubs and be recoginized by DJs and producers nation and world-wide.

i just bumped this thread cuz it was a good one to use as 10k post

Also remember, djs do not spin for the "love of music", if you believe that one.....remind the so called "big djs" that when they are in discusion for their fee to be paid, then you will find out who is really keepin it real, u would be surprised.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$125k to spin 2 hours....one DJ must be doing something rite

i would have to say if a promoter or owner has to tell a DJ what to play than its thier own fault. They should be hiring DJs who play the style of music they want to hear in thier venue. If someone told me what they wanted me to play i would be very nice about it. Just put on a mixed Cd and let him know im leaving and he should play what he would like the crowd to hear. Thats like hiring a band and telling them what to play.