Clubplanet Nightlife Community

NJ Promoter Says to the DJ:

i would have to say if a promoter or owner has to tell a DJ what to play than its thier own fault. They should be hiring DJs who play the style of music they want to hear in thier venue. If someone told me what they wanted me to play i would be very nice about it. Just put on a mixed Cd and let him know im leaving and he should play what he would like the crowd to hear. Thats like hiring a band and telling them what to play.

ask Tooch bout the time he was asked to play hip-hop at taste :cry:

primo example right here SOUNDGARDEN

one time i went up in the booth when my boy was spinning, and there was a huge note taped to the side of the mixer. ATTN DJ'S DO NOT PLAY ANYTING BEFORE 11PM (OR SOME TIME)THAT WASNT ON THE RADIO BETWEEN X DATE AND X DATE BLABLABLA BLABLABLA

THANK YOU

THE MANAGEMENT

haha i was spinning with tooch when they asked for hip hop at taste....we compromised and said we'll play some whitney houston...so they all got excited, then we played this tribal mix of "Take me to the clouds above" ahahahahaha

anyways the owner comes up to us with a HIP HOP MIXTAPE...you know the ones with the dj's yelling their names and their drops every two seconds--and asked us to play that...we were getting ready to pack up and leave when a fight broke out and we fired up some nasty tech :) a fun time was had by all--

george i dj for the love of the music. But then again I dont depend on DJing as my main source of income and I think you were referring to dj's who do--

hahhah dood that night was great...we ended up rippin dirt like things to come and some marco bailey over a huge fist fight...good times!!!

Even though this post is 3 yrs old it just shows where we have come...and to say that dj's shouldnt play for the love is absolutely nuts...i dont dj for a career b/c i dont have to--i just love music bottom line!

Unfortunately because of a number of reasons previously discussed we no longer get to really play the way we used to unless the circumstances are ideal and that is a direct overall result of what has happened to the industry.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone realised that we are allready in the 21st century, almost 2007?

Promoters,Djs. The classics are from the 70's 80's more than 25 30 years old music, never mind KTU style cheezz. Not to mention Hip-hop and rap trash. What theese jersey people will dance 25-30 years from now if nobody will play the new music for them? Really I am at the wrong place at the wrong time in Nj ? Or heard enyone any music from europe lately?

Well not on any U.S.A. radio. tought...

• 2 weeks later...

wow this is funny, its a shame, new old whatever man as long as its good and they dance whatever, its not always abt playing the new tracks, but when n where n how.... if its played right it rocks... as far as NJ being non existent... stop booking the same djs at the same spots, every1 is playing classics anyway u can go to any1 spot n hear the same set at another the next day more or less

my 2 cents

I mean seriously Denny is famous for his classics sets. But it gets old real quick. Can't blame him though- he packs the place, everyone has a good time, and damn- he's got to get paid... The prob is that everyone knows hes good and what works for one place MUST work for the next. So you end up with the same shit every weekend...

So you end up with the same shit every weekend...

disagree to a point. Richie Santana is also bangin em out and unlike other owners in the NJ Club Scene, Richie Santana isn't told what he can and can't play. Club owners who have to tell their DJs to change their style or put a leash on em as far as what they can and can't play show a lack of faith in their reisdent dj or guest dj for that nite