Clubplanet Nightlife Community

How to window dress prison bars by Martha Stewart

Martha Stewart (news - web sites) was convicted Friday of obstructing justice and lying to the government about a superbly timed stock sale, a devastating verdict that probably means prison for the woman who epitomizes meticulous homemaking and gracious living.

The jury of eight women and four men deliberated three days before convicting Stewart of all counts against her. The charges carry up to 20 years in prison, but Stewart will most certainly get much less than that under federal sentencing guidelines.

Her ex-stockbroker Peter Bacanovic, 41, was convicted on all but one count against him, making a false statement.

The charges centered on why Stewart dumped about $228,000 worth of ImClone Systems stock on Dec. 27, 2001, just a day before it was announced that the Food and Drug Administration (news - web sites) had rejected ImClone's application for approval of a cancer drug, an announcement sent ImClone's stock plummeting.

Stewart and Bacanovic claimed they had a standing agreement to sell when the price fell below $60. But the government contended that was a phony cover story and that Stewart sold because she was tipped by her broker that ImClone CEO Sam Waksal was frantically trying to dump his own holdings.

Originally posted by iamme

whether she did it or not, based on the evidence and trial, she should and could not have been convicted!

fucking garbage

well said, alot of wall street boys do this shit all the fucking time and they walk away with a slap on the wrist... fucking shameful. I know for a fact that some people were always pissed at Martha for being a success and they would have sold their soul to get her ass on a sling... well, they got their wish. I say she doesnt serve more than 2 years in a Fed pen. and will come out smelling like fucking roses.

Martha, just hook up with Showanda and Lakeisha..they'll take care of ya ass in the pen. See you when you get out mama... you made it despite all the odds. :aright:

fuck that whizzore..im glad she's goin to jail...u think my broker woulda shouted me out that Waksal was dumpin his stock..HELL NO!..DGMODEL WOULDA SOLD HIS SHIT AND THEN LEAVE ME WITH WORTHLESS STOCK....

all jokin aside..im happy with this verdict..there was more than enough evidence to convict her fuckin two faced ass

Originally posted by funkyfreshdc

lol and for 228k....that's gotta be peanuts for her

the ultimate definition of "penny wise and pound foolish..." let me save my 228k while risking my multibillion dollar empire... smoooove mooooove slick... lol...

anyone know what happens to the kid? faneuil???

Originally posted by iamme

whether she did it or not, based on the evidence and trial, she should and could not have been convicted!

fucking garbage

i dunno what trial you were following but based on the evidence only a monkey wouldnt convict

...the government has been looking for examples over the past few years...fat cats to convict and blow up all over the press to make us feel like they are doing something and to instill fear into other big players...when the economy starting getting worse, the feds knew they'd have to whack some execs - this to me is a part of that process...fuck martha - i'm glad she got caught and is getting convicted...convictions are far and few in between when it comes to the rich - i'll take any one i can get...

Originally posted by bullseye

oj goes free, martha goes to jail, yea, thats justice.

agreed, also bin laden, all the crooked ceos from Enron, Adelphia and etc as well as Robert Blake enjoying the game of golf right now. But you know, we got Martha! Cause she was really bad!

what really did her in with the jury was the taped conversations with her broker when she refers to him as eraseable and assumes her usual holier-than-thou position she was known for. the jurors, who had an image of martha as this home maker sweetheart, were shocked by her demeanor and basically put her away for it.

im glad shes goin to jail...itll b a humbling experience ...so she can remember where she came from...she basically bought her pedigree