Clubplanet Nightlife Community

M3 - Stick Or Smg

i'd like to give the smg a drive before even speculating...

from what i heard about audi's DSG from other TT owners, some prefer the 6spd, some don't... but the SMG is superior to DSG if i'm not mistaken.

SMG is not an automatic at all....

Its basically a clutchless manual. I've heard its better than Audi's DSG, and even more advanced than Ferrari's clutchless gearbox. I guess the only real way to know which to get is to test drive it yourself. IMHO, I would get the 6 speed. Nothing like winding throught the gears in a high reving M car :)

i drove the smg yesterday it wasnt bad it really feels like someone is switching the gears for you..dosnt feel like tiptronic at all ..the only bad thing is that u cant dump the clutch like a real stick ... they have a coupe with stick or a convertible with smg i have to make my choice soon

There actually is a way you can dump the clutch w/ SMG....

There are two modes in SMG's launch control...

1. Race Start

2. Burnout Mode

I'm 99.9% sure about this. I dont have an SMG so I'm not sure how to acutally do it. But if you search on bimmer.org or e46fanatics.com you're sure to find some info on it.

Originally posted by skeemr4

There actually is a way you can dump the clutch w/ SMG....

There are two modes in SMG's launch control...

1. Race Start

2. Burnout Mode

I'm 99.9% sure about this. I dont have an SMG so I'm not sure how to acutally do it. But if you search on bimmer.org or e46fanatics.com you're sure to find some info on it.

yeah there's a certain burnout start that you can do.. its supposedly a 'secret' mode but its all over the net now. I think after you do it 15 times your warranty is basically over.