Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Hear ya Go: I want To clear something UP: Trance & Tij

djdekan

Ive had a few and am on my way to Sum Yum Gai for All you can drink if you purchase $10 in chinese food so ILL be back to this one....

Exhibit A: Tiesto

Yes a pioneer of trance and a genre/dj I like...

Exhibit B: Tracklist from Ultra

01. Tiësto - Forever Today

02. ID

03. Solid Globe - Sahara (Original Mix)

04. Tiësto feat. BT - Love Comes Again (Original Mix)

05. Ton TB - Dream Machine

06. Riley & Durrant - Candesco

07. Tiësto - Traffic (Montana Re-Edit)

08. Mike Robbins - Are You A Freak?

09. Rah - Pole position (Airbase Remix)

10. Radiohead - Street Spirit (Tiësto Remix)

11. William Orbit - Barbers Adagio for Strings (Tiësto's Magikal Remake)

12. Marco V vs. Jens - Loops N' Tings Relooped (Marco V Remix)

13. Tiësto - Lethal Industry

14. Delerium feat. Sarah McLachlan - Silence (Tiësto's In Search of Sunrise Mix)

Add a couple Trainwrecks in there and I see a dj going commercial and cheesing quick. His set could be played on party 93.1 daily. That is not the Tiesto I know......

Also when people walk away saying Junkie xl was the best set of Ultra ............ Houston we have a problem, he doesn't MIXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

Now for few....

I was listening to Tiesto's set from Ultra a little while ago, and yes he trainwrecked quite a bit. But hey, he is only human! I've never been the biggest Tiesto fan, but to me, he can still bring it! Tiesto @ Space for WMC was sick!!! Yes, he did trainwreck there too, but you know what....fuck it! Big deal. I guess I tried not to focus on the negative and look at the positive. As for the Ultra set, not his best, but still was alright.

Originally posted by xxgrooveericxx

I was listening to Tiesto's set from Ultra a little while ago, and yes he trainwrecked quite a bit. But hey, he is only human! I've never been the biggest Tiesto fan, but to me, he can still bring it! Tiesto @ Space for WMC was sick!!! Yes, he did trainwreck there too, but you know what....fuck it! Big deal. I guess I tried not to focus on the negative and look at the positive. As for the Ultra set, not his best, but still was alright.

damn i thought i was the only one who thought the same thing. so what if he trainwrecks every dj trainwrecks....how many people who go to ultra or clubs listen for trainwrecks?? i go to have fun. i cant wait till 6-18 to hear tiesto tear it up at space again....

Originally posted by trojanman

damn i thought i was the only one who thought the same thing. so what if he trainwrecks every dj trainwrecks....how many people who go to ultra or clubs listen for trainwrecks?? i go to have fun. i cant wait till 6-18 to hear tiesto tear it up at space again....

or do you mean you can't wait to go pay a lot of money to go stand in a sweaty ass crowd of people where you move an inch every 20 minutes??

Originally posted by trojanman

wrong...many DJs are absolutely so brilliant at mixing it's scary...that's why the get paid the big bucks

if your #1 there is no room for error, step down and let the next guy take over

although I love trance...one thing about trance DJs....the tracks themselves do all the hard work...

with prog house or house each track is less 'self-containing' so the DJ needs to do more work to build their own breaks and buidups

I have been a big Tiesto fan in the past but he needs to get in gear again...that track listing is pathetic

Originally posted by tired

or do you mean you can't wait to go pay a lot of money to go stand in a sweaty ass crowd of people where you move an inch every 20 minutes??

yea thats the only bad thing..i hate it when its sooooo packed...the last time i was at space and it was packed like that was for pvd in nov...and tiesto in may.....oh my god i wanted to kill half the room ..but hey standing in that main room with that system is def worth it ...

and i dont mind paying 30 bucks one time out of the many times ive gotten in for free :D

Originally posted by southof5th

wrong...many DJs are absolutely so brilliant at mixing it's scary...that's why the get paid the big bucks

if your #1 there is no room for error, step down and let the next guy take over

well i wasnt saying i was right or wrong i was just stating my opinion.

hes already at number one ...so hes just riding it till the next guy takes over....

which i think by the dancestar awards pvd got #1 and i think he is weak with his tracks...but imo better at mixing than tiesto

did any of this make sense?

:bong:

Personally as far as productions go, I'll take "Love Comes Again" anyday over Wink's "Oakish", or his older records like "Don't Laugh" (like that's supposed to be innovative and underground?). There's nothing underground about many of the so called "Techno" DJs these days, they're just playing loops of different beats, with a supposed dark atmpshere added to it to "enhance" the experience. It gets old quick.

There is a Poppy element to "Love Comes Again" (commercial Top 40 stations in Europe like Beat 106 Scotland and Radio 538 Holland are already playing it in regular rotation), but the same was true for his remix of "Silence", or his Tech/Pop record "Traffic". It's not like Sasha never collaborated with Maria Nayler on Poppy vocals, or Carl Cox didn't make Happy Hardcore back in the day. Diversity is good, and sometimes it creates catchy/somewhat cheesy records that are fun to listen to, and sometimes it creates cool futuristic tunes which blow our minds. I rarely encounter neither of these scenarios with many of todays pure "Tech" DJs. Tiesto is fun to watch, Wink's okay to go see, but he was better as a DJ 10 years ago. I'm not basing this on any facts, just my own personal opinion.

Many of you guys didn't even care about Techno until it was big for a while with Progressive DJs in 2000-2002, and then became somewhat big with a certain Italian DJ, a former UK Hardhouse DJ who hosts a show on BBC Radio 1, and Dutch Trance DJs like Tiesto and Marco V. that incorporated some crossover Techno last year. I bet many of you who are bashing Tiesto now were last year or the year before his biggest fans, and were caught up in those stupid PVD vs. Tiesto threads...

While we're at it, even when I compare Tiesto's Nyana to Armin's A State of Trance 2004 (though Armin's recent Mixmag CD was excellent!!!), the Nyana CD is the better sounding of the bunch. The only Trance DJ I prefer to Tiesto is PVD. He's the one that's been spinning and producing Trance most consistently for a lot longer than most of the Trance and even Progressive DJs. There, another stupid addition to the "Which Trance DJ has the biggest penis" threads...

If generally speaking you're a fan of the pretentious styles of EDM (ie yuppie Jazzy House ala Mark Farina, or Hawtin style Techno) then you probably won't enjoy Tiesto, or Erick Morillo, or John Digweed. If you like FUN EDM that doesn't go overboard on cheese like NYC guido anthems and Freestyle on the one hand, or on too much dark overtones and slow BPMs on the other hand, then there's a good chance you'll like Tiesto's set.

BTW, what do you mean by Tiesto stepping down from number one? The readers voted for him, he didn't elect himself.

Originally posted by CHRles

Personally as far as productions go, I'll take "Love Comes Again" anyday over Wink's "Oakish", or his older records like "Don't Laugh" (like that's supposed to be innovative and underground?). There's nothing underground about many of the so called "Techno" DJs these days, they're just playing loops of different beats, with a supposed dark atmpshere added to it to "enhance" the experience. It gets old quick.

There is a Poppy element to "Love Comes Again" (commercial Top 40 stations in Europe like Beat 106 Scotland and Radio 538 Holland are already playing it in regular rotation), but the same was true for his remix of "Silence", or his Tech/Pop record "Traffic". It's not like Sasha never collaborated with Maria Nayler on Poppy vocals, or Carl Cox didn't make Happy Hardcore back in the day. Diversity is good, and sometimes it creates catchy/somewhat cheesy records that are fun to listen to, and sometimes it creates cool futuristic tunes which blow our minds. I rarely encounter neither of these scenarios with many of todays pure "Tech" DJs. Tiesto is fun to watch, Wink's okay to go see, but he was better as a DJ 10 years ago. I'm not basing this on any facts, just my own personal opinion.

Many of you guys didn't even care about Techno until it was big for a while with Progressive DJs in 2000-2002, and then became somewhat big with a certain Italian DJ, a former UK Hardhouse DJ who hosts a show on BBC Radio 1, and Dutch Trance DJs like Tiesto and Marco V. that incorporated some crossover Techno last year. I bet many of you who are bashing Tiesto now were last year or the year before his biggest fans, and were caught up in those stupid PVD vs. Tiesto threads...

While we're at it, even when I compare Tiesto's Nyana to Armin's A State of Trance 2004 (though Armin's recent Mixmag CD was excellent!!!), the Nyana CD is the better sounding of the bunch. The only Trance DJ I prefer to Tiesto is PVD. He's the one that's been spinning and producing Trance most consistently for a lot longer than most of the Trance and even Progressive DJs. There, another stupid addition to the "Which Trance DJ has the biggest penis" threads...

If generally speaking you're a fan of the pretentious styles of EDM (ie yuppie Jazzy House ala Mark Farina, or Hawtin style Techno) then you probably won't enjoy Tiesto, or Erick Morillo, or John Digweed. If you like FUN EDM that doesn't go overboard on cheese like NYC guido anthems and Freestyle on the one hand, or on too much dark overtones and slow BPMs on the other hand, then there's a good chance you'll like Tiesto's set.

BTW, what do you mean by Tiesto stepping down from number one? The readers voted for him, he didn't elect himself.

do they sell cliff notes for what u wrote? :confused:

Originally posted by CHRles

At the Dancestar usa by ....my number one dj right now is tiesto..hes the only one that ive seen jump around and have fun and i like the tracks he plays..even though they are cheddar's finest they are fun tracks....i dont go to a club to just stand there and be like ummm thats a good track gee the mixing was good...i wanna go jump around and have fun. i saw morillo go nuts but didnt stay long enough to enjoy his set but i could tell the guy was goin off