Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Whats the deal....

Guest brwneydtrouble

I asked a couple "superstar" DJs and.....more and more DJs are requesting the pioneer for 2 reasons. Most clubs have the Rane rotary mixer. The Rane does not allow you to easily control and regulate the input signal for each channel. Different tracks have different levels and they should be leveled, especially when mixing or a song is going to come in too low or too high. The pioneer has easy to read LED read outs for each channel so you can easily adjust the input gain. Also, more and more guys are prefering using slide faders as opposed to the rotary knobs. Also..some guys like to headphone cue more than one channel and a time and the Rane does not allow that.

I asked a couple "superstar" DJs and.....more and more DJs are requesting the pioneer for 2 reasons. Most clubs have the Rane rotary mixer. The Rane does not allow you to easily control and regulate the input signal for each channel. Different tracks have different levels and they should be leveled, especially when mixing or a song is going to come in too low or too high. The pioneer has easy to read LED read outs for each channel so you can easily adjust the input gain. Also, more and more guys are prefering using slide faders as opposed to the rotary knobs. Also..some guys like to headphone cue more than one channel and a time and the Rane does not allow that.

What he said...

If I had the luxury to spec my own mixer, god knows I'd do it too!

Personally, I think I'd lean towards the Pioneer as well, mostly for the ability to leak some of the master output in my headphones along with the cue...the timing of things in the headphones is gonna be spot on...though I've never really had any time differential issues when on the rane. My style just lends itself better to faders and a central cross-fader position.

If I had the luxury to spec my own mixer, god knows I'd do it too!

Personally, I think I'd lean towards the Pioneer as well, mostly for the ability to leak some of the master output in my headphones along with the cue...the timing of things in the headphones is gonna be spot on...though I've never really had any time differential issues when on the rane. My style just lends itself better to faders and a central cross-fader position.

yeah but this is TIESTO, you little dj you :rofl::tongue:

Interresting topic....

We're in the process of specing the mixers for Nocturnal and it seems there is as much debate about this as there is about overall sound systems.

The Pioneers don't test well on a big system which is why you rarely see one in a club with a high end system. The A&H tests very well except in the high freqs. The Rane is pretty good across the board and is DJ friendly so they usually win out. The Phazon tests great but a lot of DJs don't like it. There's the question of slides vs rotary. English guest Dj like different things than Germans or Dutch.

The best thing to do is make your booth versatile.

From the looks of things, OG, a mixer that suites the majority of the needs for a broad array of possible mixing styles would have to do. With the likes of Craze holding down a residency, he'll definately have some needs in a board that others might not ever think of....hell...he probably already has a mixer designed to his specs already ;)

anyways...I've found that as long as the Rane has the X-fader and eq attachment, I'm a happy camper. If I wanna get 'jiggy' with it....I can flip on the X-fader and get slap-happy to my heart's content! Although it's true that cueing options in the phones is limited, most clubs that have had the decency to install a quality mixer like the Rane usually has taken that attention into all the other aspects of the install...and the monitoring situation is above par. Getting more control in the phones is an added perk, but as long as have little time delay from the mixer to the monitors, it's not a necessity.

Whats the deal with Tiesto requesting a DJM600 at space??

Great thread Jackie... but what's the deal with you wondering what the deal is??/ :laugh:

I agree with you on a matter of preference. I love the overall sound quality and "feel" of the Rane, especially because I learned on one and I am personally more comfortable on it. I have also held a residency somewhere for over a year with the Pioneer and had a lot of "fun" with it! As long as the RANE has the XP with it, it would seem to be the best "overall" mixer for most styles. But as a promoter, I have seen more and more jocks requesting the Pioneer. As far as sounds goes, they each have their pros/cons and really depends on the system and how well it's maintained too!

The Phazon sounds great but SUCKS as far as giving you any room to work with EQ's or gains... Have heard MANY complaints from certain jocks playing @ Nerve for example.

To tackle Jackie's quesiton....

There's a huge difference between the Rane and the Pioneer as far as functionality goes, Jackie...

Stating the obvious, the Pioneer has a group of on board effects that the Rane does not. Most likely that is a big reason why he'd request that one over the other...though I have seen Tiesto play up close...possibly ever...perhaps he has a tendency to use those on board effects to a certain degree that he feels enhances the quality of his performance.

All in all, if someone is requesting something in particular that enables him or her to make the performance more unique and taylor-made for that performance, more power to 'em!

To tackle Jackie's quesiton....

There's a huge difference between the Rane and the Pioneer as far as functionality goes, Jackie...

Stating the obvious, the Pioneer has a group of on board effects that the Rane does not. Most likely that is a big reason why he'd request that one over the other...though I have seen Tiesto play up close...possibly ever...perhaps he has a tendency to use those on board effects to a certain degree that he feels enhances the quality of his performance.

YEA...but i believe that Space has a Pioneer EFX-500, why would he NOT use that over the on board effects?

They used to have one in the womb...I found the on-board effects easier to use. I just didn't know exactly how the thing really worked to well...and as a DJ, it's not too much fun to try and learn an essential tool in the middle of your set....better be safe and use what you're already comfy and familiar with...not that I'm defending him in the least...just don't think this is really worth bitchin' about (no offense Jackie)

Unlike the efx500 with a 2016 or similar, you can add effects to an individual channel on the djm600. An efx is great with the rane, but only one efx means you have to effect on the master...meaning effects accross all the channels in the mix, which can take away from creativity. The rane mp2016 is by far one of the best fidelity audio mixers in the industry not to mention its extremely rugid design...I've seen demos by rane where they pour cola on it while in use and it works without a hitch. The 2016 can benefit with assignable effect sends for each channel to use an external effects processor (which is a feature the 600 has in addition to the onboard effects) and a mixed cue ability (which the 600 has too). A Rane rep answered that these features would simply add to the already high price it takes to build this mixer ( I asked the Rane rep when I was a buyer for Mars/Sam Ash) because of the supperior components and craftsmanship, thus placing it in a higher price bracket...which in my opinion is kind of silly since the person that has enough dough to buy this in the first place along with the xp2016 , probly can shell out another $100-$200 for the added flexibility.

Both are industry standard throughout the world.

SS

Guest brwneydtrouble

Good points everyone. I wasn't bitching, I was just curious as to the reasoning behind what seemed to me a strange request.