Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Curiosa Festival doesn't disappoint (The Cure blew me away!)

funketeer

It's 1:20am, I just walked in from a full day dedicated to The Cure and The Curiosa Festival's launching event at the Sound Advice Amphitheater...wowee kazawee!!! and what a day it was!!! :eek:

robgoth.jpg

Robert Smith

We interviewed Robert Smith and Melissa Auf Der Mauer, both were very gracious and cool, power to them, zero star attitude...no poses, no egoes, it's nice to see there's still artists out there who couldn't give three shit about being pop stars...very good vibes and nothing but intelligent/enlightening answers...all our goals were achieved, like I said before...what a day!!!

interpol.jpg

Interpol

I saw many of my favorite new bands perform today, all were picked by Robert Smith himself, a-la-Ozzfest only this was no heavy metal...lots of new wave/goth revivalists in the house...Interpol has a taking-headish/curish quality to their, yet they're not imitating anyone, they honestly have their own thing going...they fucking rock the house!!! The Rapture is funky, with a disco-ish backbeat and the freakin' cow-bell going on that just makes it impossible for anyone to stay still...Funk was in full effect for this one ;)

Thursday I also enjoyed a lot, it's kinda like Incubus but less stylish, more trashy...epic/punky...probably the band that moved the crowd the most (aside from the headliners of the night, but that's a different story) Cooper Temple Clause were probably the darkest band of the evening, their sound is unique, but they do borrow from great bands...they might be young and fairly new but they sound like they've been together for a decade or so, tight as hell...everyone was just watching them in awe...then Melis Auf Der Mauer took stage B and rocked the house, literally...the only female performer ended up being the heaviest act on the bill...Auf Der Maur is a Hole and Smashing Pumpkins veteran, sexy as fuck, playing her bass like a beast and shaking her tush...flawless, she looked good enough to eat...yummy! :bowdown:

melissabdo1.jpg

Melissa Auf Der Mauer

The Cure sounded better than ever, this is my third time seeing them perform...with the difference that my two earlier encounters with Smith and company had been in circumstances that the band was going through somewhat of a fallout from the music industry and the artists in general...sticking to their guns, they basically painted themselves to a corner...there was no space left for The Cure on a radio infested by the poppy boy band and slutty teenage cum-gusslers...The Cure went on hiatus.

cure.gif

The Cure

Tonight though, they performed cleaner and sharper than I'd ever thought they would...I had heard complaints about Robert's energy on stage...bullshit!!! Robert Smith is singing like a beast, hitting every single note like a fine tubed stradivarious, the whole band is energetic and punchy, they play their instruments with such ease that it's truly amazing and refreshing to know they're back...that shit was gooooooooood!!!

What a day! :pint:

just got back myself..melissa was cool....the cure did a LOT off disintegration........overall pretty happy...would have loved primary or killing an arab..but its all good...im wasted and i found my way home is all that matters

that was my first time seeing the cure and it rocked. def a long drive but nice service at the bar and plenty of shaded places to chill but still hot outside and even worse in the women's bathroom. robert smith's voice is the same - same - same. he still hits those notes and it makes ur heart skip a beat. plenty of old and some awesome newer stuff. truly enjoyed being there to hear songs that were so important many moons ago!

The Cure provided us with a flawless performance...Robert Smith is still the same..great voice...loved the new songs and the all time favorites..peepz loved "Close to Me" and "Boys Don't Cry" as closing songs. For a moment I thought I was back in the 80's. :hat:

:smoke:

071504thecure.jpg

The set was very well programmed, The Cure managed to introduce their new material in an unobstrusive-non-shocking manner, very subtle...I for one I'm sold, it's The Cure at its best, playing better than ever and doing all-things-known-cure...the single fingered piano, catchy bass lines, finger-picked guitars (a-la-violin) lyrics are solid and current and most surprizingly to the old fans, were two joints they busted that sounded very heavy and athmospheric...

the drumming on this two songs was amazing, this drummer is not the same drummer from the "Boys don't cry" session...28 years don't come and go for nothing...the same punky irresponsable drumming is there but aged to perfection...every drum roll and every double snare...I could ramble on about it for hours.

there was just plain elegance to the whole event...the lights were sick, whoever designed the lighting is an artist on his own right...it was a low placed rack with multicolored spots, the lights were place uneven so the visual effect was more like they were being showered by'em not lit...very entertaining too, just like watching fireworks...:eek:

The encore brought the promised goods...Robert walked back on stage and thank everyone, then he said something like "Its time to send you all out in a very good mood, I've been wanting to sing this song all night" as soon as he finished saying this, the band launched into "Close to Me"...the crowd roared!!!

:bounce:

roughly the song-list of their encore set (what I can remember)

Close to Me

Love Cats

Friday I'm Love

Why Can't I be You?

In Between Days

No chopped liver! :biggrin:

071504thecure.jpg

The set was very well programmed, The Cure managed to introduce their new material in an unobstrusive-non-shocking manner, very subtle...I for one I'm sold, it's The Cure at its best, playing better than ever and doing all-things-known-cure...the single fingered piano, catchy bass lines, finger-picked guitars (a-la-violin) lyrics are solid and current and most surprizingly to the old fans, were two joints they busted that sounded very heavy and athmospheric...

the drumming on this two songs was amazing, this drummer is not the same drummer from the "Boys don't cry" session...28 years don't come and go for nothing...the same punky irresponsable drumming is there but aged to perfection...every drum roll and every double snare...I could ramble on about it for hours.

there was just plain elegance to the whole event...the lights were sick, whoever designed the lighting is an artist on his own right...it was a low placed rack with multicolored spots, the lights were place uneven so the visual effect was more like they were being showered by'em not lit...very entertaining too, just like watching fireworks...:eek:

The encore brought the promised goods...Robert walked back on stage and thank everyone, then he said something like "Its time to send you all out in a very good mood, I've been wanting to sing this song all night" as soon as he finished saying this, the band launched into "Close to Me"...the crowd roared!!!

:bounce:

roughly the song-list of their encore set (what I can remember)

Close to Me

Love Cats

Friday I'm Love

Why Can't I be You?

In Between Days

No chopped liver! :biggrin:

nice long fuckin encore!

:bowdown:

the cure did not play friday i'm in love. and i know for a fact b/c one of the ppl in our group really wanted to hear that song.

was a great concert. very surprised that they played so many songs from disintigration. went by way too fast tho.

That's right...it's confirmed no "Friday I'm Love"...they did play "In Between Days" and many, many, many songs from their old catalog...ok, bye! :pint: