Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Breaking News: Ricky Wlliams retires from the NFL

renzo2

:eek::eek::eek:

Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams has told the team he plans to retire after just five NFL seasons, The Miami Herald reported on its Web site early Sunday morning.

"He wants to get on with his life, wants to move on to bigger and better things," Herald reporter and ESPN commentator Dan Le Betard told SportsCenter.

According to the Herald's report, Williams wants to travel the world and is tired of the demands and restraints of a professional football career.

"I just don't want to be in this business anymore," Williams told the paper. "I was never strong enough to not play football, but I'm strong enough now. I've considered everything about this. Everyone has thrown every possible scenario at me about why I shouldn't do this, but they're in denial. I'm happy with my decision.

"I'm finally free. I can't remember ever being this happy."

According to Le Batard, the Dolphins are stunned by the news and members of the organization are still trying to talk Williams out of his decision, one the Herald says should be finalized this week when Williams faxes his retirement papers to the league.

Listening to Williams, who plans to travel to Asia without a return ticket, that appears unlikely.

"I have no idea what I'm going to do," he told the Herald. "Who knows? I just know it is going to be fun. Going to school again. Going to travel for the next six months. I'm halfway intelligent. I'll figure something out. I don't feel like I have to explain myself to anyone. All I end up doing anyway is giving rebuttals, and it is boring. I don't want to do it anymore. That's it. I don't want to do this anymore. If people really care about me, that would be enough for them."

His stunning retirement ends one of most unusual NFL careers in recent history. The Saints traded away almost an entire draft to make him their first-round choice in 1999, the fifth pick overall. To spice up his arrival, the Heisman winner out of the University of Texas wore a wedding dress for photo opts with the coach who engineered the trade -- former Saints coach Mike Ditka.

Unfortunately for Williams, New Orleans was a place that became a personal hell. He developed a personality disorder that required medication and often wore his helmet during interviews. He rushed for only 884 and 1,000 yards during the first two seasons with the Saints. After a 1,245 yard season in 2001, former Saints general manager Randy Mueller traded him to the Dolphins for two first-round picks and a swap of fourths in 2002.

In Miami, his career flourished. He trained harder, cutting his weight from 250 pounds to 228. In 2002, Williams led the NFL with 1,853 yards and was named to his first (and only) Pro Bowl. Last season, Williams rushed for 1,372 yards on 392 attempts, averaging 3.5 yards per carry. Over his two years in Miami, Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt made Williams the focal point of his offense, rushing him 775 times -- the most carries in the NFL.

For his career, Williams rushed for 1,000 or more yards in four of his five NFL seasons, totalling 6,354 yards on 1,589 carries and 41 touchdowns. Williams also had 1,806 receiving yards on 229 catches.

Williams was scheduled to make $3.735 million in a contract set to expire in 2006. But it's not the first time he's walked away from a fortune. With the Saints, he signed an unusual contract that paid him more than $10 million in signing bonus in 1999, but he was willing to accept minimum salaries for the remainder of the deal, hoping to make up the difference in incentives.

Financially, the deal was a disaster. The Saints challenged him to be the most productive back in NFL history to make those incentives. To hit the big dollars, Williams would have had to gain more than 6,400 yards in his first four seasons. Despite his productivity, Williams fell short of those numbers in five seasons.

This is also not the first time Williams skipped off to a foreign country on short notice. During one offseason in Miami, Williams went on a European vacation without informing Saints management. They were left scrambling to try to find him.

Williams won the Heisman Trophy in 1998 while at Texas and was considered one of the greatest backs in college backs in history. Williams seemed to enjoy the college game more than the NFL.

The Dolphins might have been tipped off that this might be an unusual season for Williams when management learned through a newspaper story Williams had failed a drug test and was being docked four games' pay this season

:no:

Why now? Why 1 week before training camp? WHY?????? :mad:

attachment.php?attachmentid=26946 R.I.P. 2004 Miami Dolphins...

Today was looking to be a great day in sports; Red Sox - Yankess game was outta hand, and then this retarded news about RW.... :splat:

Thank you Ricky...opens up the division for the JETS!!!!

do u think shaq would part time it on the O line?

i hope ricky's plane crashes on the way to one of his "travel" adventures! fuck'n asshole leaving us hi & dry. he is a pussy ass bitch who can't handle being so talented and he a deserter and a punk.

i just burned my r. williams jersey.

anybody wanna buy my season tickets?

in ur dreams......the Jets will still suck.....and the frick'n Pat-sy's will take the division again! fuck the jets & the pats & fuck that lil bitch ricky williams too.

I'm gonna spank ya next time you use that potty mouth of yours!!!

Pats are due for a letdown this year anyways...and Pennington and the boys will pounce!

Don't worry Fins fans...3 wins won't be so bad ;)

after all my years of supporting a team this is definitly #1 in terms of getting screwed over by your own player

miamis season ended back in december and he made the decision now

sure he had 5 great years and he was my favorite player on the dolphins but in those 5 years he never made the playoffs

smoking weed was more important to him than playing ball 3,4 more years what a joke

miamis season will be dreadful we still have that faggot fiedler who looks to start since he knows all the plays and that jackass coach

the only decent player on offense we have is chris chambers

and our te beat up on his wife---what a horrible preseason

they are talking about our next rb but alot of those players are all more or less backups,buckhalter,smith,one of the minnesota Rbs

the best thing miami can do is trade ogunleye who is a great talent but miami isnt giving him his money so he is holding out--and there is bad blood there once again thanks to the idiots managing the team

no wonder dan marino quit as GM

trading ogunleye for a decent rb but does it really matter---we should be happy if we go 8-8 :splat:

he's going off in search of the truth??? WTF???

The truth: He's a moron!

He's looking at this all wrong. If he wants to smoke weed., he needs $$$ to get it. He should keep playing to get more $$$ so he can have weed for the rest of his life :idea:

He's got money, no doubt, but it will run out one day. Just look at other sports figures out there who are now bankrupt.

Whatever, you have to be as insane as he is to understand why he did this....

the guy has had mental problems for years now nad his head just isnt into it , and quite frankly the guy loves to blaze , and already has 2 strikes against him for weed..

I hope they tell him he doesnt have to go all out in camp and enough calls from teammates changes his mind

nothing like fucking your team over with only a week to go before camp

I'm gonna spank ya next time you use that potty mouth of yours!!!

Pats are due for a letdown this year anyways...and Pennington and the boys will pounce!

Don't worry Fins fans...3 wins won't be so bad ;)

and as a Gag green fan i know you speak from experience :finger:

hopefully Rickeys hydro high doesnt last too long and he relaizes he wnats to play football otherwise Fins gotta try to pry away Onterrio smith from the vikes or at least give james stewart a look.

and as a Gag green fan i know you speak from experience :finger:

hopefully Rickeys hydro high doesnt last too long and he relaizes he wnats to play football otherwise Fins gotta try to pry away Onterrio smith from the vikes or at least give james stewart a look.

FUCK YOU MAN...we won 6 dammit!

lol

now if only we can get paul hackett to retire.........it would be the best possible thing for us jets fans........as far as the fish looking at stewart and smith,good luck......stewart would be hurt by the first week of camp like usual......he aint a money player