Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Sasha dumping turntables and CDs for laptops.....

http://www.arjanwrites.com/arjanwrites/2004/07/the_end_of_the_.html

DJ Sasha has made a radical decision. The superstar DJ plans to stop spinning records and CDs. He might even thrash his beloved Technics turntables. But don't cry just yet. Sasha will continue to make music, but in the future he will only be using computers to produce and remix his signature dance tunes.

"I know it is controversial, but I've had enough of vinyl," says Sasha in an exclusive interview. "Computers are revolutionizing what DJs can do and how they can interact with the music. Not only in the studio, but also in a live environment. It will change what people are going to expect from a DJ performance."

Sasha's decision to go all digital will likely turn the DJ world upside down. Switching from vinyl to computerized remixing is a heated debate among DJs. Some of them prefer the vintage feel of vinyl, and others prefer the clean-cut sound and versatility of digital music. In fact, when it comes down to it most DJs end up combining both in their sets.

Sasha used the endless possibilities of digital mixing on his newest remix album "Involver." "The record started out a regular mix project," he says. "But along the way I decided to put the entire record together as one piece of music rather than separate tracks. I reprocessed all the tracks and their sounds to make them fit cohesively as one eclectic piece."

Subscribers of the :: arjanwrites :: newsletter will automatically enter a drawing to win an exclusive Limited Edition version of Sasha's "Involver." Sign up today! Winner will be announced by August 15th.

Sasha (born Alexander Coe) is considered one the most innovative and popular DJs/remixers in the business. He is often grouped together with some of the world's greatest club jocks including Paul Oakenfold, Paul van Dyk and Tiesto.

The North Wales native was catapulted into stardom together with fellow DJ John Digweed in 1994 when the remix duo launched "Renaissance: The Mix Collection." The two separated in the late nineties, which gave Sasha the opportunity to further his interests as a remixer, songwriter, producer and label owner.

Sasha's embrace of digital music technology might indicate the end of the DJ craft as we know it today. His fascination with technology is not unique, but it does put a refreshingly intelligent spin on his approach to remixing.

"I think the days of a DJ spinning records on a pair of Technics decks are coming to an end," he says. "Certain elements of dance music have become very stale and formulaic. The only way the DJ culture will evolve is if people start to push the envelope by embracing new technologies.

"Involver" is by far the most involved and personal remix project that Sasha has ever put out. The record's final set combines vocal and guitar-driven electronica from some of today's top electronic artists and emerging talents including UNKLE, Felix Da Housecat, Grand National, Spooky and Ulrich Schnauss.

The DJ's progressive house and trance sets appeal to a variety of audiences. Sasha is happy that his work reaches across different groups, including gays. He points out how much he respects his gay fans and their equal rights. "I'm all for gay marriage," he says. "It is civil liberty issue that needs to be sorted out."

He is not sure where he fits among the hordes of other DJs/producers in the dance landscape. "I'm just not one of those DJs that likes to sit back and play commercial tracks, he says. "I just like to keep myself creatively occupied by always looking for something different."

He believes that the dance music that is most popular and commercially successful is "the really shitty end of trance music." "DJs are always grouped together," he says. "So a lot of us are tainted by the few that play that crappy trance music."

:blown: :blown: :blown:

it's much easier... and a lot less to carry around.

the new programs are ridiculous.. beat matching, fading..every possible effect.

anyone can be a great dj with the new computer mixers....

i would love to see a show blow up because..

a) batteries weren't charged.

B) got a virus

c) any computer "glitch"

I just got one of those programs for home use... very cool.

i was thinking about picking up final scratch because in the end you wind up saving bc you're not buying records every week/month... but if dj's use programs to help them beatmatch then what's the point of even paying a dj to perform??? might as well just throw on a cd... im all for technology and whatnot but a program that helps you beatmatch is pushing it... it takes away the fun... every mix is perfect blah!!!

i was thinking about picking up final scratch because in the end you wind up saving bc you're not buying records every week/month... but if dj's use programs to help them beatmatch then what's the point of even paying a dj to perform??? might as well just throw on a cd... im all for technology and whatnot but a program that helps you beatmatch is pushing it... it takes away the fun... every mix is perfect blah!!!

not only that..i have "autodj" on the program I got...

you can pick the tracks.. set time.. (hours played) and it just does everything for you....

cool shite!

I'm an awesome dj now....! :)

It depends on the DJ... At this point I don't think Sasha has to prove to anyone that he can beatmatch. This would free him up to give more attention to track selection and/or programming. He could also literally create something completely new on the fly. I still think beginners should learn the basics but if your already past that point I don't see the big deal in this...

I'm no dj but I hate the fact that Sasha is switching from turntables to a laptop. I don't want to go to a club and see a dj work a laptop, I want to see him spin on those turntables. Knowing how to beatmatch on vinyl i think is part of the art of being a dj. When you use a computer program to do it, alot of what live spinning *is* goes down the drain. IMO.

Spending time beatmatching is simply a waste of time for a person like Sasha. Beatmatching isn't all that hard once you get the basics down. It's something that is covered in the very very basics of becoming a DJ. Sasha has more than proven he can do it consistently. I'm looking forward to hearing remixes in the fly, beat production in the middle of a mix and crazy loops and such. Something he can do a lot more of when he doesn't sit there and have to beatmatch. Mixers and turntables these days have beat counters anyways. It's not like you can't have a mixer beat match for you even if you use turntables.

also, for those using bmp counters on mixers/turntables...... :nono:

cheating indeed.........its a lost art man.......just like remote controls...

GET UP AND CHANGE THE CHANNEL YOU FAT FUCK!!!!!!!! :laugh:

i blame america for bpm counters lol

comps are cool for looping and shit.......but u should beatmatch the old fashioned way...IMO. whatever to each his own...

I'm yet to see a mixer w/ an accurate beatcounter, esp when you start mixing in breaks, etc.

As for Sasha, he is a cocky bastard and once people stop eating hype they will see that he still -with all the programs, equipment, etc.- is just mixing from track to track with the crowd thinking that he is making the music b/c they don't understand what DJ's do.

I just started playing w/ CD tables and I was shocked at how easy looping is on CD, I kill myself trying to loop w/ identical records on vinyl. I think the future is going to be producers going on tour and playing their own stuff that they have not released, and that will really start separating the men from the bitches!

cheating indeed.........its a lost art man.......just like remote controls...

GET UP AND CHANGE THE CHANNEL YOU FAT FUCK!!!!!!!! :laugh:

i blame america for bpm counters lol

comps are cool for looping and shit.......but u should beatmatch the old fashioned way...IMO. whatever to each his own...

def......comps are great for production work that used to be limited to those who could afford studio time.......now anyone with a pc and some decent software can start creating tracks.......

however, to me dj'ing is about performing......working the crowd over....bringing in a section of the track that's the meatiest, and dropping it out, dropping it back in, etc...........vinyl is just warmer sounding......

however, to me dj'ing is about performing......working the crowd over....bringing in a section of the track that's the meatiest, and dropping it out, dropping it back in, etc...........vinyl is just warmer sounding......

And how does the performance differ when the beats are matched by a computer vs a person? The DJ reads the crowd, selects the right sequencing of tracks, producing loops, efx in the key moments and creates a great vibe. I mean honestly, how long does it take to beatmatch 2 songs? It takes me roughly 40-60 seconds. I'm sure Sasha can do it in less.

As for the warmer sound, can you honestly say that when yur at a club, you can identify which tracks are coming from CD vs Vinyl? And does anyone care?

At the end of the day, I'm sure a lot of the digital format music is taken from a turntable anyways since they don't often make digital formats of some of the obscure tracks Sasha likes to play.

And how does the performance differ when the beats are matched by a computer vs a person? The DJ reads the crowd, selects the right sequencing of tracks, producing loops, efx in the key moments and creates a great vibe. I mean honestly, how long does it take to beatmatch 2 songs? It takes me roughly 40-60 seconds. I'm sure Sasha can do it in less.

As for the warmer sound, can you honestly say that when yur at a club, you can identify which tracks are coming from CD vs Vinyl? And does anyone care?

At the end of the day, I'm sure a lot of the digital format music is taken from a turntable anyways since they don't often make digital formats of some of the obscure tracks Sasha likes to play.

there's some things you can't do digitally...that you can with tables...you've only been talking about beatmatching.......

but hey, if I your into what sasha's playing these days then why not go digital.....

http://www.deephousepage.com/pumpupthevolume.ram