Clubplanet Nightlife Community

"What if" Job question...

If you were offered a promotion that would include a $20k compensation increase, but some of the cons were as follows:

* Your daily commute would increase one hour per day on the average.

* Your average hours worked per day would increase from 7.5 to 9.5 or 10.

* You would incur additional bridge & toll/gas expenses of $3.5k/year.

* Could impact your ability to go to the gym nightly and could ruin your body to some degree.

* You are ready to go back to school for an MBA, so it might be a juggling act between work/school.

* Current position has travel to South Beach 3x/year and Cali 1x. New position would be 0.

* Current position is in a building with 200 employees; new position is 20 employees (Full-time).

What would you do? There are a ton of pros including career advancement, high profile position, etc., but lets only focus on the negatives...

Well..You gotta ask yourself, do the positives outweigh the negatives? If yes. Go for it.

If this position is going to give your career a push, I personally would go for it. Where is this position going to be located?

Also, working for a smaller company sometimes has it's advantages. You don't have to deal with the politics you do in a corporate environment. It's a really different atmosphere...Other questions I would ask myself would be, in the new position, would it be easier to advance to a higher position within the company?

iamme - I would be working there til I decide to move on, which would be the equivalent of 2-3 years at the earliest or 3-4 years depending on completion of my MBA (haven't started yet).

chris - it's definitely a career push. Would be moving from finance manager to senior financial analyst of a major business unit. The company I am currently in is high profile, but advancement within is difficult due to the small size/nature of our business. My goals coming in here were to switch from public acct (auditing) to finance and build the necessary skill set. I love what I do and want to continue with finance. Short range goals are to advance to a senior analyst position (which is the case I'm being offered now) with eventually going to back to school and tackling a management position (ie CFO) elsewhere within a ten year time frame. The main negatives right now are personal life impact, but I think I just need to bite the bullet for a couple years since it will pay off in the long run...

It wouldn't be that hard of a decision to make, but the acceptance window (time) is very small right now considering that the individual is leaving next week. My head is spinning... :(

if you choose the alternative, and go full-time MBA, wouldnt that give you many more options for this type of position once you graduate....especially since you also have the necessary skill set for the position already?

what are the chances you do this for 2-3 yrs then go full-time MBA...or even part-time while you are killin yourself at the new job?

how about a CFA while you work? (do you already have one?)

i would do it.

i guess it depends on how you feel about your current job

also depends on your possibility of moving up at both jobs, where do you think you will end up if youre at either place in for the next 2+ years

how bad do you need the extra money (like if youre already making 6 figures do you really care about an extra 20k when youre only supporting yourself??)

do you get bonuses at either place, vacation, which has better benefits??

these are the questions i would ask myself to make a decision like this. i am definitely money hungry, i figure if it brings me closer to where i ultimately want to be, i will work more hours & travel farther. if its just about money & its at a riskier company where i might not get promoted for a LONG time, or even worse they might not be around in a year, i wouldnt bother with all the extra time.

That extra hour of commute sux. Traveling to south beach and cali. tons of fun and you would be losing that. The extra money is great. However, if you moved closer to your new job your life would be a lot easier. You can still make it to the gym. Looking long term is the best thing you can do. If this job offers better advancement you will end up making more money and take all the trips to south beach that you want.

1. Iamme - I can't go back to work full-time since it will affect my social security benefits come retirement (two $0's for your average salary going towards social security - they take an average of your last 30 years of salary into consideration when calculating benefits). Not that I am relying on SS by that age since it will probably be non-existent, but any bit can help.

2. Chris - you made a great point. These days, what seperates two candidates sometimes is not the schooling you have under your belt, but rather the positions (degree of difficulting) you have worked. I have a number of friends with CPA's and/or Masters degrees and they are making either the same or less salary than me... I have neither a CPA or Masters.

3. BabyFace - my parent's own a multi-family house and I have roughly 950-1000 sq ft with a nice gym setup as well. Finding a comparable place elsewhere would double my rent easily, if not more. :(

4. Somebitch - do I need the money? Real answer - no since I am living comfortably now and have what I want (except for a girlfriend, hah). Would the extra money be of assistance? Absolutely yes... especially with today's real estate market. With the new job (if everything works out) I could actually invest in property before I am 30. Mult-family house that is.

5. TC55 - you brought up a great point about paying for South Beach myself with the extra money.

I'm glad I posted this on this site. You guys have opened my eyes towards focusing on the positives rather than the negatives. When I take this into perspective almost 10 hours later, I have a totally different outlook and its positive. Thanks! :)

My only problem is that I made so many good friend in this office and by moving offices, I won't get to see everyone as often... and I lose my lunch buddy, hah. :( Oh well, such is life...