Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Ikon Review

Went to IKON last night for the first time since their "renovation"... got there around 12:30, there was a line, but it was not moving, I was with my best friend and by the time we got in the place we looked like we just stepped out of a shower... bad, but not too bad. When we walked in the dance floor was somewhat empty... but every couch was mad full... the rooftop was empty because of the rain, the red/pink/coral room had a good vibe, but everyone was standing around with a drink in their hand looking very confused, we wanted to dance, so we made our way to the hip hop room which as always is the hottest and sweatiest because people are actually dancing... within 2 songs we got mobbed and grabbed by like 12 different guys (that was the cue to leave)... we roamed around the club aimlessly for the next half hour. Eventually the main floor filled up and the people in the pink room started swaying from side to side a lil bit, but nothing like what this place was years ago. The 2nd level (the vip) was BORING... although maybe it got better as the sun came out. Around 3:30 the place seemed to be almost-kina-sorta-packed (proves that there is no use in going out in NYC before 2 AM)

Here's the short version:

What the whole night cost me: $50 (2 admission, parking)

What the drinks cost me: $0 (love the employees of this place)

Employees that offered me drugs: 3

Club patrons over 60: 2

Times a bartender fucked up my drink: 1

Bathrooms actually included in the renovation: 3

People with glosticks: 6

Times the fire guy seemed to actually burn himself: 3

Guys that told me they were going to Iraq in a week: 4

Guys that told me they just came back: 2

Three-way kisses with management: 2

Times someone told me not to sit somewhere: 0

Times someone asked me for any type of identification: 0

Overall, I'd come back, no one pushed bottles on you and bitches where you sit or stand... just come in around 2, and dance the night away

Hmmm sounds good...was deciding on goin there or avalon picked avalon worst night of my life there was no grls around my age...everyone i saw was like over 30...and the music in the hip hop room sucked...dj was using tryin to mix with burned cd's...Gonna go check out Ikon next week see how the atmosphere is...i hope majority of the people arent over 30 :)

Went to IKON last night for the first time since their "renovation"... got there around 12:30, there was a line, but it was not moving, I was with my best friend and by the time we got in the place we looked like we just stepped out of a shower... bad, but not too bad. When we walked in the dance floor was somewhat empty... but every couch was mad full... the rooftop was empty because of the rain, the red/pink/coral room had a good vibe, but everyone was standing around with a drink in their hand looking very confused, we wanted to dance, so we made our way to the hip hop room which as always is the hottest and sweatiest because people are actually dancing... within 2 songs we got mobbed and grabbed by like 12 different guys (that was the cue to leave)... we roamed around the club aimlessly for the next half hour. Eventually the main floor filled up and the people in the pink room started swaying from side to side a lil bit, but nothing like what this place was years ago. The 2nd level (the vip) was BORING... although maybe it got better as the sun came out. Around 3:30 the place seemed to be almost-kina-sorta-packed (proves that there is no use in going out in NYC before 2 AM)

Overall, I'd come back, no one pushed bottles on you and bitches where you sit or stand... just come in around 2, and dance the night away

Hillarious .. that is one of the best reviews i have ever seen . coz of those run-downs .. good job lilbarbiegirl

i went to ikon two times .. and i kina was ok with it . except for the door . which took us on the avg. 1.5 hrs to get in .. and so we end up paying . (we were supposed to be free before midnight . but not when u stay in line from 11-12.30 .. akhhh)

the music was decent .. especialy the pink room .. that was where Alex Peirce . and Jason Jollins .. some awesome DJs ..

eddie bais was ok one time . and ktu crap one time .. so i am confused about him .. hehe

the crowd was ok .. with lots of china town and sound factory style .. oh well

anyway ..ikon overall could be great club .. IF .. they let ppl in faster .. and they treat them with respect .

the door people .. are assholes big time . they think they own the world coz they let ppl in on a line .. pleaseeeeeeeeeee

peace

the MASK

well i think u can definitely say the weather played a role in it...nevertheless it turned out to be a great night...from what started out to be an empty floor, it did fill up when Darren came on...some good dancers in there especially this chick towards the back on the floor...she could freakin move man and she had a killer body...i didnt even know what her face looked like but it didnt matter....Darren killed it from what i thought (i am a bit partial to him though cause hes my favorite DJ out there)....the pink room had some really hot music....overall i had a great night...place is definitely huge but i think it can be filled when u have talent like Darren playing every week...the rooftop looked like it could rock too...unfortunately the freakin weather sucked but wait til next week...definitely a good job by the promo company...place definitely has potential and ull see me back there

:laugh2:

Good review.

really good review even though there is no mentioning of the music. Darren is a really good DJ and I did want to check him out but J00F is my fav so I went to avalon.

i think you should be careful with those comments about the employees hooking you up with drinks and drugs....you want that place to last longer than it has as Black, you shouldn't broadcast such info....just a tip

opie; i really think you went to a different club, not avalon.

first of all, avalon attracts some of the youngest peeps....(and that's why half the time the vibe sucks)

secondly....a lot of DJs spin CDs....their own burned CDs

You wanna get hooked up with some drunk teenage girl - why do you even care who plays what music???

interesting review....glad u seem to have a nice time, though I wonder why u paid for parking???theres plenty of free pking on 10th. somehow, my experience has been quite the opposite, each time I went there (I am not sterotyping or anything) but the place formerly known as (exit, exit2, black etc) is usually packed with asian partygoers, and somehow they all tend to stick to their own group, just sitting there or standing in the middle of the dance floor, I guess they are not too much into socializing with others or for that matter dancing.

though when the place used to be called exit, it had a nice mix, but nowadays its mostly an asian affair?? I guess the place is booked by asian promoters or something...

i got there at like 2 and i hhhhaaattteeedddd it.

the pink room was the only room i could bare being in. i thought the music on the main floor sucked balls. omg and the groping of the guys just got wayy outta hand. at one point i took my entire bottle of water and deliberately spilled it on one guy. but i gotta say mofo was persistant lol

i dunno wat time we left but the sun was sneakin its way up - jus went to an after party wayyy downtown in alphabet city.

i think you should be careful with those comments about the employees hooking you up with drinks and drugs....you want that place to last longer than it has as Black, you shouldn't broadcast such info....just a tip

PCR, is on !!! Besides they might have said that but, could they have

been trying to set you up instead, To check if you do shit or want to sell ....

or have shit on you .....

Big brother ...

the music was very good imo...i loved playing on that system and hope to get the chance again..

Benke fooking rocked it like Amaedeus...dayum..had the floor nice and bumping.

SoBL are a very talented crew, but the timing of their set should have been better cause it didn't flow right...but musically I'm sure in the right place at the right time they are great.

Darren played really techy..loved some of the choons he dropped...def had me moving even after hours of setting up, playing..etc etc..and what's better..he seems to really love playing, something i always look for from a headliner..some of them always look so blah.

notable mentioning goes to JJ who did very nicely with some pumping tribally beats..actually think i heard some electro influence too...the Pink was done up nicely!

that's it for now..if anyone has questions/comments/concerns/etc etc pls feel free to PM me.

peace,

dj

the music was very good imo...i loved playing on that system and hope to get the chance again..

Benke fooking rocked it like Amaedeus...dayum..had the floor nice and bumping.

SoBL are a very talented crew, but the timing of their set should have been better cause it didn't flow right...but musically I'm sure in the right place at the right time they are great.

Darren played really techy..loved some of the choons he dropped...def had me moving even after hours of setting up, playing..etc etc..and what's better..he seems to really love playing, something i always look for from a headliner..some of them always look so blah.

notable mentioning goes to JJ who did very nicely with some pumping tribally beats..actually think i heard some electro influence too...the Pink was done up nicely!

that's it for now..if anyone has questions/comments/concerns/etc etc pls feel free to PM me.

peace,

dj

Brendan was playing really good. His set was flowing very nicely. He was doing awesome job building up for Emerson. But when SOBL came on, it just killed all the flow. Please, don't have any live acts next time before the headline DJ. It just kills all the vibe and flow of the party.

p.s - I don't have anything against live acts but you need to have a totally separate night for them.

:pint:

yes the consensus is that the flow was hampered when the live act went on..

as far as having a seperate night for live acts, i don't think that's the way to think of it..it's just programming the night to ensure proper flow which has been worked on these last two days..expect good changes.

dj

peace,

dj

dude . u keep saying that .. but u dont answer people's emails ..

if i ask ppl to give me feedback .. the least i can do .. (courtsey) is to reply back to them saying . thank you ..

dude . u keep saying that .. but u dont answer people's emails ..

if i ask ppl to give me feedback .. the least i can do .. (courtsey) is to reply back to them saying . thank you ..

I am with Mask on this one,,, If the guy goes down to the club, brings

a crew w/him ($$$) at least reply back - you owe him that much !!!

yeah pretty much place could be better. Lines are long. door people are rude and think there are incharge of the whole club. If it wasn't for us loyaL clubgoers that club wouldn't be anything. We deserve to be treated with respect so we can enjoy our experiance there and keep going. CIN also messed that place up. club would open an hour after it supposed to be. hense, no free admision. o well sooner or later the management at ikon will realize that the clubgoers make that club what it is and popular not them.

-joe

I am with Mask on this one,,, If the guy goes down to the club, brings

a crew w/him ($$$) at least reply back - you owe him that much !!!

biscuit . i wasnt even referring to that .. i ws referring to the fact that my friend .. and myself spent that much time .. to come up with suggestions to this club .. and i am sure other people did the same

only to not even get acknoledged .. i am not talking specifically about thank you .. but more importantly an indication that they actually care for the comments .. or otherwise . we wasted our valuable time ..

u know i mean

peace

the MASK