Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DJ Baby Anne at Voodoo Lounge

patois

Tonight I went to Voodoo Lounge to see DJ Baby Anne spin...I was looking for something different....I'd heard that she did breaks and Miami bass...and that this involves crazy energy all night long.

Well that was only the beginning. I got inside and the floor was saturated....Baby Ann was on the decks putting everyone in their place. We were soaked with her ferocious energy raining down from her balcony.

From what I could tell, the breaks sound something like free-style but focus less on vocals and more on rhythm, which keeps changing as restlessly as prog-rock. The Miami bass just drilled through your ears and shook your chest.

There would be gradual short builds of feedback and other atmospheric sounds, which create the "ready, set, go" for the rhythm to go on another mad sprint, which invites us to follow in our own way. Some people got robotic, others did "Walk Like An Egyptian" moves....a few could even breakdance, spin around on the floor, do handsprings while the rest of us would cheer on....

Baby Anne's music was so powerful that it created a ferocious, hostile energy on the floor...it got the best of the competitors in one dance-off circle, and the resident security descended and swiftly broke up the altercation.

When I first got on the floor, however, most of the people were just standing around, either watching one dance-off circle or just populating the floor. Maybe because some people early on had not bargained for such powerful music as this. Around 1 am, most of the people also seemed sloshed and could not focus on dancing for more than a few minutes - and even then seemed to just be doing it as a joke.

But an hour later or so, more people came into their own dancing....to be on the dance floor then was simply incredible. Everyone was taken over.....it was exhilerating to be sharing the floor with other people just living out the music in their moves.

P.S....Great to see Koky, his friend Eric, Brnyeyedtrouble, and other CP'ers :)

:bounce: SCOOT OVER BLING !! WE HAVE A NEW REVIEWER !!! :bowdown: great seeing you btw patois !! and everything you said was right on point !babyannes music is just "ENERGY" !!! everyone was under that womans control the whole time she was spinning !! "AWSOME" !!

Tonight I went to Voodoo Lounge to see DJ Baby Anne spin...I was looking for something different....I'd heard that she did breaks and Miami bass...and that this involves crazy energy all night long.

Well that was only the beginning. I got inside and the floor was saturated....Baby Ann was on the decks putting everyone in their place. We were soaked with her ferocious energy raining down from her balcony.

From what I could tell, the breaks sound something like free-style but focus less on vocals and more on rhythm, which keeps changing as restlessly as prog-rock. The Miami bass just drilled through your ears and shook your chest.

There would be gradual short builds of feedback and other atmospheric sounds, which create the "ready, set, go" for the rhythm to go on another mad sprint, which invites us to follow in our own way. Some people got robotic, others did "Walk Like An Egyptian" moves....a few could even breakdance, spin around on the floor, do handsprings while the rest of us would cheer on....

Baby Anne's music was so powerful that it created a ferocious, hostile energy on the floor...it got the best of the competitors in one dance-off circle, and the resident security descended and swiftly broke up the altercation.

When I first got on the floor, however, most of the people were just standing around, either watching one dance-off circle or just populating the floor. Maybe because some people early on had not bargained for such powerful music as this. Around 1 am, most of the people also seemed sloshed and could not focus on dancing for more than a few minutes - and even then seemed to just be doing it as a joke.

But an hour later or so, more people came into their own dancing....to be on the dance floor then was simply incredible. Everyone was taken over.....it was exhilerating to be sharing the floor with other people just living out the music in their moves.

P.S....Great to see Koky, his friend Eric, Brnyeyedtrouble, and other CP'ers :)

GREAT REVIEW!!!!!

I TELL YOU WHAT.. BEING A BREAKS DJ FOR MORE THEN 9 YEARS NOW I HAVE SEEN MARY ANNE PLAY COUNTLESS # OF TIMES AND HER SKILLZ NOWDAYS ARE SERIOUSLY GARBAGE!! I WAS LISTENING TO HER OVER THE RADIO VIA 93.1 AND HER MIXINGS RAN SHORT SONG SLECTION WAS OK. BUT JUST THE SAME OLD SHIT.. SHE PLAYED ONE OF HER TRACKS THAT WAS AS OLD AS MY ABUELA! AND IT WASN'T EVEN A HIT THEN ( FREAKS MOVE I WANNA SEE YOU MOVE ) THAT SHITS GARBAGE! IF YOU WANNA HEAR SOME SERIOUS GET DOWN.. HIT ME UP AND ILL SEND YOU A CD OR WATCH ME LIVE ON WWW.THEWOMB.COM EVERY FRIDAY 2-4PM OR EMAIL ME @ DJDONL024@MSN.COM AND I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED ON EVENTS THAT IM DOING... AS FOR LAST WORDS ABOUT MARY ANNE... SHE IS A HAS BEEN AND WILL NEVER BE AGAIN.. THERE ARE DOPER BREAK QUEENS OUT NOWDAYS. LIKE MADAME MERCURY .. MISS GLASS .. & MIAMI'S OWN MEDLEY!!!

HOLLA!!!!

DONELL

DJDONL024@MSN.COM

OH AND I OPENED FOR OSCAR G. @ SPACE INFRONT OF 3000 PPL AND DROPED NASTY BASS & HI-NRG BREAKS ALL OVA THE MAIN FLOOR.. HONESTLY CAN ANNE SAY SHE DID THE SAME...

:bounce:

CLICK PIC FOR DJ DON-L & BABY ANNE ULTRA 2004......

Ehhh...personally I think shes waaay over-rated but Im glad you guys had fun. I got some good old-fashioned sleep last night. :D

i agree!!! i saw her once at the PAC and she just sucked. saw her again at ultra 4 and she had no energy or no interaction with the crowd....its like she got too good or something cuz her first couple of her cd's were bad ass, then it got to her head.....same shit with icey.

but its kool that you guys enjoyed the night...from that review it sounded like you guys were at a rave where people stand around and watch others battle.

im gonna check out Trip Theory tonight. hopefully that'll be good.

peace!

Guest brwneydtrouble

Ive seen Anne about 6 times now, in diifferent settinigs and I agree she has her days when she's good, and others when she's just horrible. Being a breaks fan and having missed the days of the raves, the Edge and the times when breaks were heard more often, I take what I can get. If I really want to hear quality, I go to the breaks party that Culture throws to hear my friends Ash, Wreck, Merlyn, Kaprah, Laura, and the rest of those guys. I itry to harass Wendel but he's not playing breaks too often these days. At least Anne can still pull a crowd tot be able to fill a place as big as Voodoo.

Yeah I'll be standing around most of the time waiting for the right groove, watching the circle, keeping my eye on the better dancers, and laughing to myself a little at the ones that think they belong in there but really shouldn't. But nothing beats the feeling of finally hearing that sweet beat, being egged on into the circle by someone that recognizes another fellow dancer and then really throwing it down to everyones surprise. Its just a feeling that you dont get when they play other genres......its that bass that you feel all through your body, with the complex rhyhms - I dunno, iits just something that moves me to dance.

So for those of you that dont go because she isn't great, i dont fault you but remember, she does what she loves, her style ISNT mainstream and she's at least stayed true to that all this time.

Makes me want to start buying more vinyl again, and take my tables out from under my bed.....:D

LOL!!! Koky the radio jock! Nice shout out, dude!

:laugh: ardis put me on the spot and i said what came to mind ;):biggrin:

and to the person that said her mixing ability were crap .. u are the only one that seems 2 think this .. a few dj's that heard her thought it was great !! her music is not what "EEEEEEVERYONE" listens to and she still pulls a crowd and some great dancers !! the last two times ive seen her the energy she expells is awsome and the good times i see everyone having is insane !! i give miss anne huge props and the ones that cant hang with her music , like i said last time are just too lame to hang with "THAT" kind of energy !! and btw.. you guys missed groove eric dancing his ass off to breaks :biggrin: i wish i had a camera !! you know if eric is dancing shes doing something very right !! peace out !! :)

:bounce: SCOOT OVER BLING !! WE HAVE A NEW REVIEWER !!! :bowdown: great seeing you btw patois !! and everything you said was right on point !babyannes music is just "ENERGY" !!! everyone was under that womans control the whole time she was spinning !! "AWSOME" !!

Thanks Koky.... :D I had a great time....and we need Bling's reviews too...he has a great deal of knowledge about the local scene that I lack...I just tell my story the way I see it, for anyone who's interested.

and to the person that said her mixing ability were crap .. u are the only one that seems 2 think this .. a few dj's that heard her thought it was great !! her music is not what "EEEEEEVERYONE" listens to and she still pulls a crowd and some great dancers !! the last two times ive seen her the energy she expells is awsome and the good times i see everyone having is insane !! i give miss anne huge props and the ones that cant hang with her music , like i said last time are just too lame to hang with "THAT" kind of energy !! and btw.. you guys missed groove eric dancing his ass off to breaks :biggrin: i wish i had a camera !! you know if eric is dancing shes doing something very right !! peace out !! :)

:laugh:

Next time I'll bring some more comfortable shoes/clothes :tongue:

Thanks Koky.... :D I had a great time....and we need Bling's reviews too...he has a great deal of knowledge about the local scene that I lack...I just tell my story the way I see it, for anyone who's interested.

aww gracias :love: . expect a detailed review of the spinoffs if i find parkin over there ...........

I TELL YOU WHAT.. BEING A BREAKS DJ FOR MORE THEN 9 YEARS NOW I HAVE SEEN MARY ANNE PLAY COUNTLESS # OF TIMES AND HER SKILLZ NOWDAYS ARE SERIOUSLY GARBAGE!! I WAS LISTENING TO HER OVER THE RADIO VIA 93.1 AND HER MIXINGS RAN SHORT SONG SLECTION WAS OK. BUT JUST THE SAME OLD SHIT.. SHE PLAYED ONE OF HER TRACKS THAT WAS AS OLD AS MY ABUELA! AND IT WASN'T EVEN A HIT THEN ( FREAKS MOVE I WANNA SEE YOU MOVE ) THAT SHITS GARBAGE! IF YOU WANNA HEAR SOME SERIOUS GET DOWN.. HIT ME UP AND ILL SEND YOU A CD OR WATCH ME LIVE ON WWW.THEWOMB.COM EVERY FRIDAY 2-4PM OR EMAIL ME @ DJDONL024@MSN.COM AND I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED ON EVENTS THAT IM DOING... AS FOR LAST WORDS ABOUT MARY ANNE... SHE IS A HAS BEEN AND WILL NEVER BE AGAIN.. THERE ARE DOPER BREAK QUEENS OUT NOWDAYS. LIKE MADAME MERCURY .. MISS GLASS .. & MIAMI'S OWN MEDLEY!!!

HOLLA!!!!

DONELL

DJDONL024@MSN.COM

OH AND I OPENED FOR OSCAR G. @ SPACE INFRONT OF 3000 PPL AND DROPED NASTY BASS & HI-NRG BREAKS ALL OVA THE MAIN FLOOR.. HONESTLY CAN ANNE SAY SHE DID THE SAME...

:bounce:

CLICK PIC FOR DJ DON-L & BABY ANNE ULTRA 2004......

You gotta be kidding me with your comments. This girl plays all over the U.S., Canada and Latin America every single weekend 3-4 times a week and the best you can say for yourself is "OH AND I OPENED FOR OSCAR G. @ SPACE INFRONT OF 3000 PPL " Get a fucking life!!!!!! Regardless of your like or dislike of her music you can't deny she's accoplished way more then most female DJ's out there. Also, you didn't seem to be much of a hater when you were trying to get a picture with her!!!!!!!

You gotta be kidding me with your comments. This girl plays all over the U.S., Canada and Latin America every single weekend 3-4 times a week and the best you can say for yourself is "OH AND I OPENED FOR OSCAR G. @ SPACE INFRONT OF 3000 PPL " Get a fucking life!!!!!! Regardless of your like or dislike of her music you can't deny she's accoplished way more then most female DJ's out there. Also, you didn't seem to be much of a hater when you were trying to get a picture with her!!!!!

:lol3: BWA-HA-HA-HAAAA!!!!! OWNEDD!!!!!

You gotta be kidding me with your comments. This girl plays all over the U.S., Canada and Latin America every single weekend 3-4 times a week and the best you can say for yourself is "OH AND I OPENED FOR OSCAR G. @ SPACE INFRONT OF 3000 PPL " Get a fucking life!!!!!! Regardless of your like or dislike of her music you can't deny she's accoplished way more then most female DJ's out there. Also, you didn't seem to be much of a hater when you were trying to get a picture with her!!!!!!!
:laugh: :laugh: :rofl: :rofl:

Hello everyone

I haven't posted hear in a long time. But this thread got my attention. "BABY ANNE BASHING" some of you have reached a new low. Give credit where credit is due. She’s been at the top an industry that caters mostly to men and continues to stay their while many of her pears have fallen by the waste side. I’ve been a fan of hers for long time and will continue to be so. Those that can do, others just hate that is exactly what some of you are doing, who cares if u opened for Oscar G at space, bottom line is, what can u say you’ve accomplished since then? Music is a gift!!! Stop bringing down others creativity just to boost your popularity that’s just low. Most of you know who I’m and how I feel about this so we’ll leave it at that.

Baby Anne and Breaks will be around for a long time, simple reason is she can still pack the place and make people like you “djdon-l†turn on the radio and listen, until you do that, than you have something to say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peace

From someone that knows BREAKS IN FLORIDA

:hat:

Hello everyone

I haven't posted hear in a long time. But this thread got my attention. "BABY ANNE BASHING" some of you have reached a new low. Give credit where credit is due. She’s been at the top an industry that caters mostly to men and continues to stay their while many of her pears have fallen by the waste side. I’ve been a fan of hers for long time and will continue to be so. Those that can do, others just hate that is exactly what some of you are doing, who cares if u opened for Oscar G at space, bottom line is, what can u say you’ve accomplished since then? Music is a gift!!! Stop bringing down others creativity just to boost your popularity that’s just low. Most of you know who I’m and how I feel about this so we’ll leave it at that.

Baby Anne and Breaks will be around for a long time, simple reason is she can still pack the place and make people like you “djdon-l†turn on the radio and listen, until you do that, than you have something to say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peace

From someone that knows BREAKS IN FLORIDA

:hat:

:rock: :rock:

Fuck breaks, id rather hear trance instead!

DOWN WITH BABY ANNE AND DOWN WITH DON L!! BREAKS SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!

lol j/k :hat: i like breaks alot and between you me and the wall, Don-L plays alot better breaks than baby anne does. baby anne has just been an icon in the scene for years, and has been churning out cd's and tracks with the best of them, not to mention the fact that she is a woman dj, which is so scarce these days. Think about it though, she cant light a candle around the likes of Jimi the Genius, Ash Rock, Jackyll and Hyde, Icey, Simply Jeff...etc... and you all get on George Acosta's case for still playing World in My Eyes, so because someone comes on here and says they dont like the dj everyone has to gang up on him? i thought this forum was to share thoughts (good and bad) abotu the scene. not to sling shit at people who happen to not like the dj *dodges flying turd originally headed for DonL's head* :hat:

- from someone that LOVES music :rock: