Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Vaughan's Bday - JAY J

sheldonp

Jay J & Miguel Migs

In The House

(Defected)

Simon Dunmore's seminal house music label rarely puts a foot wrong. Their A&R (Artist and Reportoire) is second to none, their licensing always shrewd and the compilations excellent.* Never more so than with the release of the latest collection, In The House, which has been mixed and matched by two deep house's finest; Jay J and Miguel Migs.

Defected's latest collection proffers twenty nine sublime tracks of melodic, deep and soulful house mixed across two CDs ranging from minimal jazzy dubs to sweet vocal euphoria. Some key players in the upper echelons of dance music have confessed that the scene is somewhat fallow at the moment. In certain cases this might be true but as In The House proves there are also fields yielding golden crops... you know, the ones that sway lazily in the breeze on a midsummers day.

Jay J kicks off the rhythmic seduction with the Masters At Work mix of Louis Vega & Jay Sealee's "Diamond Life" featuring Kings of Tomorrow collaborator Julie McKnight. With a stella line up behind and in front of the scenes you can't really go wrong.* Needless to say this is a classy slice of vocal house. Following that we are treated to the sumptuous bass and horns of Manijama's "No No No", Sir Piers' vocal jaunt "Don't You Love Me" and Jay J's own "Keep On Rising". The latter is a funk- mungous, uplifting cut and a real high point on the mix.

Miguel Migs takes things a bit deeper on the second CD opening with his own sax laden "City People" and "Bump Selecta" a little later on.* Rhythm Slaves deal us a dirty hand of boogie bass with "I Can Feel It" whilst the evergreen deepness that is "Changes" showcases Sandy Rivera as both a great producer and songwriter.

Similarly to the Naked Music and Lazy Dog mixes, In The House*gains merit by purveying a style of house that is musical.* Odd though that may sound, this collection is rich in melody and high on ability.* It takes skill and musicianship to write tunes like these. An absolute must for any one with a vested interest in house music.*

Reviewer: Andy Puleston

:pint: Drink Until the Patron is Gone !!!!! :drunk:

U bastards always do this to me... :splat:

I think you check my schedule to se when I'm out of town and plan an elaborate party without me :hat:

Congrats... and I'll see if I can bring a lil sumtin' sumtin' back for you V... There's a Cashasha trade show next door to where I will be :)

U bastards always do this to me... :splat:

I think you check my schedule to se when I'm out of town and plan an elaborate party without me :hat:

Congrats... and I'll see if I can bring a lil sumtin' sumtin' back for you V... There's a Cashasha trade show next door to where I will be :)

You and your global conquests! Where do your travels take you this time? Cashaca eh? Bring me back some! I love Caipirinhas!!! :D

Thanks B! Wish you could make it, but understand you have to take over the world :laugh:

Thanks for thinking of me though... sorry for being a bit clueless... WTF is cashaca??? Is it liqour??? If so.. I'm in! :laugh:

We'll party down for you!