Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Today is 9/11...what were you doing three years ago when you found out what happened?

sgtfury

three years ago i woke up and went about my morning. its funny because i remember seeing 10 missed calls on my phone and never really thinking something must be up. i drove north on the turnpike and somewhere around 945 am i switched on the howard stern radio show. i turned it to the station but it wasnt the show..it was the news. ok..that was wierd and then i heard them talking about a explosion...ok, there has been some sort of plane crash ....and then the news person said..."for those just tuning in, 2 planes have just crashed into the world trade center and one of the towers has just collapsed"....i hit the brakes and listened and immediately turned across the median and headed back down south. turns out the missed calls had all been from family that had already seen the news. my thoughts immediately went to my sister who worked less than 5 blocks away from the WTC and to both my cousins (one NYPD and one NYState Highway Patrol)

9/11/2001 was a day that i will never forget. some of you may never understand why it hit me and other new yorkers a little harder than the rest of america. NY is where im from..i grew up there. i grew up looking south from upper manhattan down at the twin towers. when i was a kid i would wait for the bus in the freezing cold...i went to high school with Lisa Lisa (from cult jam)..i was at the world series in 77 at yankee stadium..i played basketball in madsion square garden...i got engaged at the top of the empire state building...i worked at the 75th floor of the WTC in 91-92.

take a moment out of your day today and remember all the lives lost in the most despicable act comitted on american soil. innocent lives that started thier day just like any other day. we all need to remember that we cannot allow this to ever happen again.

god bless america.

I had just started law school. I ended up sitting in what was normally my Criminal Law class with the rest of the students, watching everything unfold on the classroom TVs. My teacher, Bruce Rogow (who got a claim to fame for representing 2 Live Crew's freedom of speech in their album As Nasty as They Want To Be) watched with us. He was cracking jokes even then....a reporter grabbed someone off the street, questioned them about something. It looked like the guy was taking advantage of someone but he said he was just trying to help them....something like that. That's when Rogow said, "Never trust a witness" and the class laughed. It was so strange for there to be laughter in that room...but apparently it was needed comic relief.

But then the towers fell in front of us...I just shouted "No!" I thought about my brother, sister, and my visiting mom in Brooklyn...

I lived in NYC for about 2 years after finishing at Rutgers, with my then-boyfriend. We always went all over the city...trying to see everything there was to see. I loved the World Trade Center...we went up together the first time and then I went when I had a day off unexpectedly from work. I wrote about the first time in my journal, which I shared with my school right after the attacks, and that I have posted below....

September 20, 1996, my diary entry

We walked back to the World Center, because I'd said I wanted to go to the top. He wanted to sing songs about flying when we got to the top. When we got in we found out, to our shock, that it was $8/head. However, we shelled it out. We waited in the rollercoaster-long line to go up. Once we got there, I was very impressed with the height and also by having the vast view beneath me be intelligible, and not some meaningless jumble of buildings, streets and rivers. We looked first over the Bronx, Coney Island and out to the ocean. Then we sat for a long time looking uptown. That was where we saw the most to recognize. He pointed out the arch of Washington Square Park. He was kind of my own personal guide of the view. Then, after being hypnotized by the view for a long time, it occurred to us to go up to the roof. That is what we did. I was amazed by what we found there. It was a calm, windless, slightly warm sundeck we found up there 1035 feet high, with the occasional clouds drifting right overhead. We walked excitedly around the rectangular walkway, taking in the view hemmed in by nothing but sky. We leaned there against the railing. Then we skipped around to the other side and parked ourselves on a bench facing the Jersey view. The moments were out of sight. I felt then and there that I was immersed in heaven. As we descended, the sun was setting.

I had woken up late to go to work and saw it on the television on my way out of my house. When I left we had only known that some plane had struck. Then I had arrived to Eckerd drugs on 16th street and 107th on the way to work and they had the tv's on in there. The second tower had just gotten hit and the shock was starting to hit everyone. By the time I got to my job both towers had fallen.

Three years later nothing has been resolved. Our soldiers are dying in Iraq for the benefit of the business of war.

Four years is enough, alright. Don't vote for Bush!

I was still going to school in PA, 2 hrs west of nyc...

I was shaving before leaving my house that morning....

One of my roomates who was also still in the house at that time, was eating breakfast with the tv on, and i heard him scream " Holly Shit!!!!" I quickly ran over to see what happened, razor in hand, face half shaven, and could not beleive wht my eyes were seeing.. The first tower had been hit.....

I cannot even explain what i felt that moment, and soon after, before i could even begin to understand what was happening... the second tower was hit...

When those buildings started crumbling down, and as the images showed the collapse of the wtc, I stood there in complete awe and disbelief. One of the darkest days in the history of this coutry and in the world, for that matter...

To the families and friends of those who lost their lives that day,

My sympathy and my respect go out to you.

After three rather eventful years, we stand united.

We will never forget.

attachment.php?attachmentid=33744&stc=1

i was sleeping in my bed in brooklyn. my sister woke me up with the phone, my step mother was on it hysterical.....i turned on the tv and found there was no reception(the antenna was located on the top of one of the towers)....shortly after the smell of it reached where i was, miles away.

we watched it fall on the tv in horror...i was holding on to the antenna so we could make out a picture.

i rode on my bike to the river where thousands people were walking across the manhattan bridge to get to brooklyn. i watched the smoke billow up from what was once a magnifigant skyline, now a skyline with something missing.

the towers were something that helped you know where you were in the city, almost always in sight looking downtown. i used to eat my lunch there, right in the middle of the 2 towers. after i would always like to look up, it would look like they were arching on top of you because of their size...

ny has not been the same with out those 2 buildings, and is still in the process of recovery. the loss of people was too great to ever forget. 9/11 changed every american's life and way of thinking forever.

I was at work and just going to the machine for my early morning coffee when the first plane crashed. I tried to go back to work and many people at the office initially dismissed it as a small private plane accidentally crashing into the building (it happened to the Empire State building once, I believe). So while back to being busy, the second airliner crashes and that's when we ALL glued our eyes on the boob tube... :(

I was in the USAF Reserves on station in Homestead ARB. After finishing a few things at the unit in the morning. I was called into the briefing room of the 93rd fighter squadron. We watched it all unfold before us. Needless to say, it was a long day on duty...........

I've gotten out of the reserves since...after i served my time...God bless all that was lost on that day...

I was in Colombia....still trying to wake up. Suddenly my dad comes in my room and turns on the TV, he was screeming and I did not understand what he was saying. When I saw the TV I thought it was a movie. When the second plane I was already awake. But I couldn't believe it. Up until this moent...I still thing it is a movie, very good XF.

Did anybody loose any friends or family there?. Did anybody from CP was there and survived?

Is anybody voting form Bush???

I was in Colombia....still trying to wake up. Suddenly my dad comes in my room and turns on the TV, he was screeming and I did not understand what he was saying. When I saw the TV I thought it was a movie. When the second plane I was already awake. But I couldn't believe it. Up until this moent...I still thing it is a movie, very good XF.

Did anybody loose any friends or family there?. Did anybody from CP was there and survived?

Is anybody voting for Bush???

At 9am I was heading from my apartment in Brooklyn to JFK airport to fly to Miami for work for a week...I saw the super in the elevator and he said some plane had crashed into the WTC...while in the cab to the airport on the belt pkwy I saw the towers burning...

halfway to the airport they said the first tower had collapsed and that the airports had been shutdown...at that point I headed back to my apt and watched tv for the next 3 days straight

I was the first one at work (as almost always) I was already writing something on the comuter, when the cleaning lady asked me to watch the tv and explain to her if what she was seeing was real or just a movie...I gasped!

From that point on...I didn't utter a single word, just sat in front of the tv while my co-workers slowly started arriving one after the other...by the time the second plane hit, I went into a trance...I felt as if the building had gone down my throat and out my feet (the weirdest thing) all consequences of this event went through my mind in a matter of 10 seconds or so...and then I got up...I said "this is really fucked up"...left the room and went to smoke a cogarrette...stayed in shock for almost three weeks...I had to fly almost a week and a half after and I felt as if I was a criminal, almost got stripped...and was treated nothing short of brutal by airport security...lines were ridiculously long, soldiers with assault weapons all over the place...nerve-wrecking.

i arrived at a job site and the owner of the house comes out and says...."oye!!!!!un avion le dio a uno de las torres en NY!!!!!".. i was getting tools ready and i was like huh!!! went inside and watched tv and tried to work....saw the second plane hit...i also thought it was a movie or something.....i went to nyc last week and like someone said earlier the NYC skyline was missing something. although ive never lived there, watching that on tv i had a lump in my throat and it was tough watching people jumping to their deaths and the chaos in the city.

not a good day in USA history