Clubplanet Nightlife Community

God's Speed to My Florida Friends ...

lalate

lol, my sister was saying her house is gonna be made outta concrete, and i was like eww, thinking ugly gray concrete, and she's like her apartment now is made of concrete, i was like oh it is? it's not ugly.. she was like most things here are made outta concrete...

i dunno, we got a brick house...

lol, my sister was saying her house is gonna be made outta concrete, and i was like eww, thinking ugly gray concrete, and she's like her apartment now is made of concrete, i was like oh it is? it's not ugly.. she was like most things here are made outta concrete...

i dunno, we got a brick house...

i lived in a house that was made of concrete up until i came here to the states...it was very nice. dont remember a single problem with ti either...

...it wasnt big enough of a crack to threaten the structure that it would have to be rebuilt.....they patched it and eventually sold it.......the story is a little deeper because my father built half of it and then signed with a cruiseline as an electrician and sent money to have the rest of it built.....his sisters moved into the building.....eventually one moved out and my father settled down here......a few years ago, his sisters started an argument over sole ownership of the house......my dad is the only one with kids - both his sisters were married but never had kids.......so instead of fighting for the house - and rightfully so - he just threw his hands in the air and went over to greece and signed it over to his sisters......the one sister passed a few years ago........the other sister took sole ownership and sold the house.......none of the money has gone to my father but word is she is leaving us something in her will.......doesnt seem to make it feel any better........greed is such a nasty trait......

...my first thought would be $$.......then perhaps aesthetics.......but finance would prob be the cause.......i used to live in apartments in a part of jersey that were never meant for longterm housing......they were set up as temp housing for factories built during WWII for planes, parts, etc.....after the war, they left the buildings and people just moved in.......now everything is falling apart and keeps getting upgraded year after year......

it has to be more costly to rebuild every now and then, rather than building once correctly...

it has to be more costly to rebuild every now and then, rather than building once correctly...

......yes but if you move right into that area and dont have the $$ to set shit up right, what then?........you just dont move there?.......come on meng......stop being so black and white........

wtf are you leif erickson~?! youre not the first one there... ppl lived/live there before you have... and contractors had to build this shit at one time or another, so why didnt they just do it like that from scratch or with insurance claims rebuild properly the second or third time... disney was a wise man, he placed his theme park purposely in orlando because it still has the nice weather and is less prone to the hurricanes, (although from time to time it sees one as well...) but im saying an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure... and i just dont get it, why they dont see that... there has to be some real reason that im overlooking or not aware of...

natural selection...

i understand and im just being difficult for humours sake but there is some truth to this, and simply just dont understand why they dont take preventive measures... (correct me if im wrong but some insurance companies wont even cover down there because of these types of events, if you cant get insurance there shit has to bad... insurance companies love toeveryones money except for the ppls that theyll have to pay out on... so thats indication enough for me at least... who knows who cares... thanks for playing along...)

It all comes down to $$$ ... significantly more $$$... IF you ever notice though in news reports after hurrcanes it's always the wood frame / siding houses that get leveled. Have you ever heard of a reinforced concrete high rise condo complex going down?... Disneyworld? Epcot? Universal Studios?? any of the amusement parks? Office Buildings? Airport Buildings? A concrete block/brick house costs 2-3 times as much to build. Why?...Higher material costs, excavation, and much higher labor costs.. Even in the non union residential construction world a skilled mason earns twice as much as a non-union carpenter because most of the good ones won't work non union unless they're getting paid cash (Union scale is about the same for both BTW) The upside is that the facade is maintenence free, there no threat of termites eating through, the house is much better insulated and as stated before you wont be homeless because of mother nature. Unfortunately, there are very few residential builders who build houses this way. Most of what goes up new is pressure treated lumber with siding or stucco. Some builders will give the appearance of a brick home by setting "brick tiles" or "Brick face" on the facade (very common in staten island). It's not that thier trying to rip anyone off... Its just that the market demands new homes to be in a certain price range. If one builder buys a piece of property and puts up 30 wood frame townhouses that sell for say 189k and another builder in the same area is building concrete / brick townhouses with the exact same interior space features his price will be around double that and will drive him out of the market. People dont pay much attention to the exterior of a home when they're shopping. Think about it.... does a realtor ever show the outside of a house other that to show you the yard or a pool??

Well i look at it this way.... we had a bad year this year in Florida... I've lived here for 7 years now and this is the first time I've hung shutters for 3 of the 4 storms.... Only other 'canes we had caused minimal damage - which most of you's in the north probably never heard about.....

I donate money I guess because I would want someone to help ME in the time of need..... Just like I donated money during 9/11... NYC/Wash/PA needed help for something they couldn't control.. just like on occassion WE need help in my state for an uncontrolable storm/hurricane.

But hey, what do i know. lol

For the record, I do have home-owners insurance and pay extra for wind-damage since i am east of I-95 (24 blks from the ocean).. i hang my hurricane shutters when told and i have candles, water, etc in storage.. I am as prepared for the storm as the next guy. But sometimes, unfortuantely, Mother Nature wins..............