Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DJ's and Computers

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

even with mastering, the vinyl sounds better. when you go to a club, with a good sound system. you can tell the difference between a cd and a vinyl
Yeah I can tell, being that when I started DJing in 84 that there was only vinyl (house music wasn't even out yet) but most of the kids now could (& should) care less. I'm a veteran, but not a purist, I guess

This debate will go on forever, guys who invest in vinyl are going to say it's better, my opinion is there is nothing like going to the record shop or record pool and picking up new vinyl and dropping a needle on it at a club. It does sound warmer than cds, and you can trust vinyl. Cds are a cheaper way to go and the guys that build entire music collections by downloading music that they hear other jocks playing instead of going to the store and hunting out the great tracks for themselves are hacks(half of them don't understand the difference in the quality of the mp3s they download or don't care) and they drive down the pay rates since they have no investment in music. Technology is great, I like the fact that you can use a computer :type: to create loop discs for your sets, or a Pioneer cd 1000 and all it's great features. Not to mention you can carry less vinyl and more music with cds. The Peavey DAI is the next thing in djing, it just plug into your usb port and have your entire digital library at your fingertips, and access your cds through your computer as well. However, they keep saying vinyl is dead, dying, whatever, and it's still around-there must be something to it. Technology is good but VINYL IS KING.

This debate will go on forever, guys who invest in vinyl are going to say it's better, my opinion is there is nothing like going to the record shop or record pool and picking up new vinyl and dropping a needle on it at a club. It does sound warmer than cds, and you can trust vinyl. Cds are a cheaper way to go and the guys that build entire music collections by downloading music that they hear other jocks playing instead of going to the store and hunting out the great tracks for themselves are hacks(half of them don't understand the difference in the quality of the mp3s they download or don't care) and they drive down the pay rates since they have no investment in music. Technology is great, I like the fact that you can use a computer :type: to create loop discs for your sets, or a Pioneer cd 1000 and all it's great features. Not to mention you can carry less vinyl and more music with cds. The Peavey DAI is the next thing in djing, it just plug into your usb port and have your entire digital library at your fingertips, and access your cds through your computer as well. However, they keep saying vinyl is dead, dying, whatever, and it's still around-there must be something to it. Technology is good but VINYL IS KING.

Look who climbed out of his K-Hole to contribute..I think this topic was about D.J's useing laptops.

Not how K-Heads cook their shit.

if i was a club owner i would only hire vinyl dj's...............

Club owners hire djs to bring in a crowd and sell drinks. They couldnt give two shits if you played 8tracks as long as those first two factors were met.

Most of you cryassing about the laptop djs are the ones who cant afford a good laptop. Also , by the way, the good djs who use cd's dont download their songs, they are in cd record pools or get direct service from the labels.

This debate will go on a long time.

The "technology" we use to bring music to people will continue to evolve. Using that technology to allow your creativity to run wild and motivate a dancefloor is an awesome thing. Abusing it is sad and demeans anything and everything the rest of us try to do.

:hang:

You can use vinyl, CDs, and laptops to do whatever you want. But if you use anything that does the work for you (ie, beatmatching), then you're just a record-picker. Though programming is a huge part of being a good DJ, it's only one of the elements.

:)

Club owners hire djs to bring in a crowd and sell drinks. They couldnt give two shits if you played 8tracks as long as those first two factors were met.

Most of you cryassing about the laptop djs are the ones who cant afford a good laptop. Also , by the way, the good djs who use cd's dont download their songs, they are in cd record pools or get direct service from the labels.

The good dj's? that doesnt even make any sense.

Who's to say that a dj is good cause he gets his stuff from

a label or a store bought cd!? Just so you know there are tracks that you cant get from a label ,or a record pool.

I download songs ,buy cd's and upload the songs onto my comp

etc...... as I know alot if not most of the djs using laptops

are doing

i don't mean only vinyl, u would be able to spin cd's at my club, every once in a while.............scratching is a art, now with cd players anybody can scratch...... no skill needed........... beatkeepers r ghey, i bet alot of u say there okay........ sorry, if a dj came in with a beat keeper, i would laugh at him

i don't mean only vinyl, u would be able to spin cd's at my club, every once in a while.............scratching is a art, now with cd players anybody can scratch...... no skill needed........... beatkeepers r ghey, i bet alot of u say there okay........ sorry, if a dj came in with a beat keeper, i would laugh at him
beatkeepers are sooo ghey - if you can't hear a mix in your head give up

The good dj's? that doesnt even make any sense.

Who's to say that a dj is good cause he gets his stuff from

a label or a store bought cd!? Just so you know there are tracks that you cant get from a label ,or a record pool.

I download songs ,buy cd's and upload the songs onto my comp

etc...... as I know alot if not most of the djs using laptops

are doing

Who cares about tracks you can't get?? Its not 1998 anymore its 2004. People want mainstream especially the ladies, and without ladies a club is nothing. No one is going to come to a club because the dj has secret white label tracks......they are gonna go to a club where the hot ladies are and i bet that club is playing mainstream hip-hop/ktu format.

Who cares about tracks you can't get?? Its not 1998 anymore its 2004. People want mainstream especially the ladies, and without ladies a club is nothing. No one is going to come to a club because the dj has secret white label tracks......they are gonna go to a club where the hot ladies are and i bet that club is playing mainstream hip-hop/ktu format.

c'mon buddy that is non intelligent statment if I ever read one.

yes it is 2004 but there was alot of music that came out that is still being rocked in clubs ex-professional widow, music feels better , you dont know me,

the list can go on and on...

now hip hop -I got it made,mona lisa,my adidas etc....

And when I stated about tracks you cant get I wasnt speaking about old track I was refering to tracks that the independent artist makes that

wont make it big because their dist wasnt done right or there

promotions didnt do the right job to get it out there.

There is so much music out there that I play and people like

and IS NOT KTU FORMAT . If the music isnt good the girls wont go there.

Thats a fact! Plus there is music that you can download or get

from certain places that will hit the radio in 3 months but

you can be playing them before they get played out on the radio and every other dj jumping on the COMMERCIAL BANDWAGON.

:type:

Nothing personal, but this is such a 'jersey' thing to say.

I've been sticking up for the scene in NJ for many many years, but I can't do it anymore. And this statement pretty much says why.