Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DJ's and Computers

Quote:

Originally Posted by soj

I find it easier to set up a cue on a turntable than a CD. I'm sorry if you think its harder on a turntable. I guess you need more practice. As for calling people names due to their opinions and stances on the equipment used to perform, well, that tells me a lot about you and its all I need to know.

Now step off and go practice turntables since you think its so hard.

Ha!

Double HA- HA !!!! :clap:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Club owners hire djs to bring in a crowd and sell drinks. They couldnt give two shits if you played 8tracks as long as those first two factors were met.

Most of you cryassing about the laptop djs are the ones who cant afford a good laptop. Also , by the way, the good djs who use cd's dont download their songs, they are in cd record pools or get direct service from the labels.

Ditto. I use a laptop and cd's. Forget about the beatmatch button guys that shit dont work anyway. The only thing I trust is my ears.

The nice thing about the laptop is how easy it is to find any song u wanna hear. WWW.BEATPORT.COM check it for some serious house music

Vinyl is where I started in 91' but cd's and laptops are the wave of things to come.

Just like carburators and fuel injection

Matt (reid) you do make a good point and i hear it all the time

"when you go to a club, with a good sound system. you can tell the difference between a cd and a vinyl"

but how many clubs have you and i spunn for and can say they had a good enough sounds system to tell if your

NOT A DJ ?

:hello:

never said anything about clubs ive djed at (and there had been clubs ive djed at that i noticed a vinyl sounds better). but i will tell you there is def a difference when you put that needle on a piece of wax. dont matter to me what anybody thinks. cause im a proud vinyl buyer. go shopping every week. and id rather have a banging track on wax than on mp3 that was downloaded

never said anything about clubs ive djed at (and there had been clubs ive djed at that i noticed a vinyl sounds better). but i will tell you there is def a difference when you put that needle on a piece of wax. dont matter to me what anybody thinks. cause im a proud vinyl buyer. go shopping every week. and id rather have a banging track on wax than on mp3 that was downloaded

very true

:werd:

this thread is sad (although it's good to see everyone has an interest in the subject)... every time technology advances, it freaks out those who don't understand it... when people become freaked out they defend what they know because they do not understand what is new...

it's the same argument everyone in the recording industry had when the CD came out... oh, it sounds like crap... oh recording on analog tape machines is the only way... UNTIL major manufacturers built several hundred thousand dollar DIGITAL TAPE machines... and then how about this, almost everything, if not everything, you hear on the radio was recorded DIGITALLY... either through multimillion dollar digital boards such as the CAPRICORN or 9000J and then routed to a DIGITAL tape machine (and or all who know what i'm talking about; yes i know there are also analog converters, etc but the point is that digital technology can co-exist with analog)...

so what is the problem then? in all reality, the music you hear IS digital... even though it may be "down sampled" to be sent to you through analog AIRWAVES (which will be gone one day too, ie SIRIUS or XM)...

so come on, does it really fuckin matter what an artist uses for his medium of expression? or is the real concern, how great of a result is achieved through the talent's craft and skill with a particular medium?

shit, i will take a a phat set from a lap-top any day over a poor mixed set from a vinyl purist... wouldn't you? and if you agree, then you might as well agree the medium makes no difference... it's the creativity and vision behind the technology that brings it to life... not the circuitry.

I have no problems with understanding technology. A few years ago i probably could have written software to mix music myself. My problem is it use to be someone saw a DJ and was captivated. Saved up money for tables and a mixer etc., bought vinyl and earned his way. Now for a few hundred bucks and connect to soulseek you too can be a famous DJ. I just feel some people work hard to be who they are and some use technology to make up for what they can't do.

How long will it be before some clubs hire just some guy for 5 bucks an hour to match beats on a laptop like its a jukebox to save some money.

As far as what someone said about Jersey. Jersey is commercial. The reason some of the clubs are not doing to well or have gone under is just that. The average Jersey person going out just wants to dance to what they hear on the radio and drink with thier friends. The true club heads always went to the city. When you brought non commercial music to jersey in all the clubs, the commercial crowd went elsewhere.

Whoever said something about JP using a laptop in the booth. Good for him he can pre program his tracks for long K holes. They guy is garbage and would never make it outside of NYC. He just flat out sucks and will always only play to a bunch of crack heads who are so shot they couldnt tell good music from bad until the sober up. Let him compare to Tiesto who can open for the olympics.

Technology has good and bad points. I just think too many people will get jobs taking the easy way out. youll see the DJ sitting at the bar for half the night doing shots with his buddies.

and taking over!! No need to argue about digital versus vinyl or computers or loops or sound quality, TITS win everytime! http://www.intuitivemusic.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=920

Like i said in an earlier post

theres a line between FAME and RESPECT

id rather take respect everytime

(even if i were homless and stuggleing on the street) <--- been there, dont that

• 2 weeks later...
And to the "dj" guy who spins hip-hop and ktu stuff, more power to you. There are two classes of dj's. The artist and those who are there for the ride. You are the latter. The manufactured "boy band" of the dj realm. You'll probably do well with your benefits and 401k plan, but you'll never get respect. You are probably right about playing to a larger audience, but that's what "boy bands" do. They play the most popular style catered to the unattentive. They are successful doing that.

But I wouldn't knock the others who are the real artists in the world trying to define their own space on their own terms.

I'm not knocking anyone and I prefer the harder stuff to the ktu crap. If I go out to a club I would rather hear an original DJ playing there own style....But in todays market if you want to succeed as a dj you have to play commercial. If you DJ as a hobby and want to work at the clubs that come and go, then fine............But as a business aspect.....Clubs are in business to SELL DRINKS!....and whatever format sells drinks is what you play if you are in it for the long haul. You newbies talk about respect and you all hate the mainstream format but its not gonna pay the bills. If you want to impress anyone lets see you work 3 turntables on a urei or bozak mixer and use a dx-7 keyboard or spx-90 to sample with....if you even know what that is. All you cry ass babies need a certain mixer, and a specific headphone and loud booth monitors to mix. Did you ever mix vinyl with no headphones? no monitor? just feel the cue point in your fingers??? you newbies!!! stick to your day jobs. Its not all about mixing, its more about programming.............and if you can't comprehend that fact you will not survive in the club business. Buy all the vinyl you want and add to dave mondo's fortune.

i understand where this topic is going but i honestly don't get why everyone is flipping out over this. so what if some joe schmoe goes to some shitty dump of a bar in jersey and gets five bucks an hour to spin on his laptop. that's as far as it can possibly go. you're acting like one day digweed is gonna come to nyc but because all these laptop djs are so prevalent some 14 year old is gonna take his gig. that ain't gonna happen so relax.

i have 1200s myself but i can see that there's def benefits with using cds as well, im not gonna rip on them just because i don't have them. i think the future eventually will be based on cds, but im not gonna start panic attacks just yet, vinyl has plenty of life ahead of it. and btw, you can't say that final scratch for example isn't a tight ass idea, pvd has been rocking that almost exclusively. so just because a dj is using technology doesn't mean that he's a jerkoff, it's all about how you use it. but i do think that technology should never be a replacement for skill.

Digital DJing is the future so get used to it. DJs that call using computers, and other digital formats cheating are probably just jealous because they don't have the equipment, software, or skills to learn the new technology, and trust me, it is an ongoing process and not easy. Eventually there will be a computer in every booth, with the ability for guest djs to just hook up a hard drive to the USB port and have all their music on the drive. And they will be able to digitally record and burn their set right there. Yes, I agree that the truest form of DJing is 2 or 3 turntables and a mixer, but you can only do so much with that. I do believe it's much easier for a dj that could rock a crowd with turntables and mixer to adapt to the new technology, God forbid if a new digital dj had to walk into a booth with 3 tables and a knob mixer, he probably couldn't do it.