Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DJ Mag turns on Tiesto

Hyype

...so untill then .. philipio keep listening tou your soulfull house and getting no punani and you will be ok .. cause if your soulfull house would make you so kool and was the best out there you would def be able to get laid more than once in a lifetime .. so please drop the ignorance ;):D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

http://www.arminvanbuuren.com/playlist/episode173XXXXXL

Armin always delivers on playing new tunes. Not just on his weekly show, but as you can see he also drops them in his live sets.

As for Tiesto, I'll take his productions anyday over most of the crap coming out of the House camp these days, like cheesy 80s loops of Steve Winwood anthems, or that overplayed "Lola's Theme". "Valerie" sounded great in the 80s, but Eric Prydz butchered the tune as do many House "producers" when they take on other 80s tracks, or the 70s. It's amazing how many of the leading House DJs havent even gotten out of the 70s sound yet - Disco is ova! Vietnam is over, Mash the TV show is over. Move on to something new, instead of trying to claim Trance fans are close minded.

Both Tiesto and Armin are amongst the best producers out there, way better than most of the House producers (and Armin has produced House in the past). They're both in general not just some of Dance music's best producers, but some of the world's best producers in general, period!

It's mainly the Soulful House producers who seem to have the talent when it comes to House these days, but their style is too slow to pump up most of the Dance crowd.

http://www.arminvanbuuren.com/playlist/episode173XXXXXL

Armin always delivers on playing new tunes. Not just on his weekly show, but as you can see he also drops them in his live sets.

As for Tiesto, I'll take his productions anyday over most of the crap coming out of the House camp these days, like cheesy 80s loops of Steve Winwood anthems, or that overplayed "Lola's Theme". "Valerie" sounded great in the 80s, but Eric Prydz butchered the tune as do many House "producers" when they take on other 80s tracks, or the 70s. It's amazing how many of the leading House DJs havent even gotten out of the 70s sound yet - Disco is ova! Vietnam is over, Mash the TV show is over. Move on to something new, instead of trying to claim Trance fans are close minded.

Both Tiesto and Armin are amongst the best producers out there, way better than most of the House producers (and Armin has produced House in the past). They're both in general not just some of Dance music's best producers, but some of the world's best producers in general, period!

It's mainly the Soulful House producers who seem to have the talent when it comes to House these days, but their style is too slow to pump up most of the Dance crowd.

If you think soulful producers are essentially the only real talented producers left in house...you're not finding all the good house...but I agree with everything else you said (see its not just trance people)...I am with ya 100% on the Eric Prydz shit and basically everything else including Lola's theme..BLAH....Soulful house producers are a talented bunch these days but they are not the only ones....believe me when I say there is whole other house sound out there that DOES pump and is hard but much different from the usual big room recycled crap...Derrick Carter...Heather....Mazi....Raoul Belmans....Justin Long...Dan X....Honey Dijon...JT Donaldson...Joey Youngman...Jonene...Desardi...Sneak...Farina...Fiasco...Paul Woolford..East Coast Boogiemen..Yousef...etc etc etc....(some can play soulful at times)....but more so this is what is considered by many as the real underground house sound...chunky...funky...REAL acid not this fluffy shit that the mainstreamers are now catching on to...elements of jazz, swing..roots house..hip-hop...spoken word...all rolled up into one...to me this is where the pulse of underground house is and has always been.

Well those are good DJs you mentioned, but some of them don't produce.

Heather takes it to a new lovel by singing, on top of producing and excellent technical mixing skills, but she's seen as too much part of the Soulful House sound.

Guys like Derrick Carter and Dan can spin with the best of them, and most Trance DJs will admit they're not up to par with the mixing skills those guys have.

I was just trying to show that all this talk about how only Trance is cheesy is not true. Yes, some Trance is very cheesy, but so is a lot of the House music that's getting attention.

PS I'd have no problem with seeing a non-Trance DJ at the top of DJ Mag's poll. Why does DJ Mag have a problem with its own democratic poll? They asked their readers, and all Dance fans in general to vote, didn't they?

They got offended that Tiesto didn't show up for their event b/c he didn't want to let down 50,000 fans who were going to see him in the 2 days ahead of their party. They bashed on Tiesto for not doing enough drugs (or was it a joke?). They just shows me how childish they are, and how Tiesto is really dedeicated to his fans, and is about the music not the drugs.

hey you can spin it any which way you like but Tiesto and his lowest common denominator trance are overhyped, overpriced and tired.

and Koky you listen to candy raver music -deal with it. and that's just like teenie boppers loving Hillary Duff and Britney Spears greatest hits.

very :laugh2:

btw continue to post your photoshop diahrrea cos i dont care :)

Well those are good DJs you mentioned, but some of them don't produce.

Heather takes it to a new lovel by singing, on top of producing and excellent technical mixing skills, but she's seen as too much part of the Soulful House sound.

Guys like Derrick Carter and Dan can spin with the best of them, and most Trance DJs will admit they're not up to par with the mixing skills those guys have.

I was just trying to show that all this talk about how only Trance is cheesy is not true. Yes, some Trance is very cheesy, but so is a lot of the House music that's getting attention.

Thats the common misconception of house Djs in general...and thats if they don't spin the usual mainstream - Morillo-Junior Jack etc etc big room recognizable sounds...they are labeled as deep or soulful...Heather can rock a party like no other Dj I have ever seen and is probably one the most talented on the decks....comparisons have been made to Mills.....but the statement about cheesy house and trance holds true...there is a ton of crap on both sides and it seems like the shit always floats to the top...of the charts that is....but the charts are a laugher too. I read an article about how many records it takes to become a chart topper...that "call on me" sold a total of like 23,000 or so copies to hit number 1..future number ones are projected even lower and a decade ago it would have taken at least twice that amount to break the top ten. Now it takes only 2000 give or take to break the top 40...its a joke.

Lyrik, you're right about the amount of copies "Call On Me" sold in the UK. I think the whole ringtones business is helping to wipe out their Singles chart, and in the USA the Singles Sales chart seems to mean very little these days - it's all about radio airplay. Still, it looks like "Call On Me" is now also topping the Pop charts in Germany as well :(

I guess I wouldn't mind hearing "Call On Me" on a Top 40 station - it would fit right in with Ryan Cabrerra, Eminem, Britney, and whatever else is currently charting.

It's gets annoying though when some of the big House DJs drop it for months on end, and then those very DJs claim it's the Trance DJs that are being cheesy and repetitive.

:???: Not sure why no one has stated this yet.....

But many know that most SuperStar DJ Carrers are built on bussiness agreements and deals between labels, promoters, & media...

As a business man I would be pissed and bash him too...

DJ Mag did pretty much make his carrer (along with Blackhole)

:splat: By not showing up he "bit the hand that fed him"! :splat:

And don't think I'm bashing Tiesto etiher, he's actually a pretty chill guy to say he blew up overnight and stayed there for a long time... IMO He's much better than PVD or Oakey anyday (even though I don't care for that style)

I don't think he owes DJ Mag all that much. His fans catapulted him to the top, not the magazine itself. The magazine barely gave him the time of day, and yet he still managed to top their annual poll three times now.

He started gaining a lot populariy through his remixes of songs like "Silence", through some decent productions like "Flight 643" (which was later fused with Koshee's "Hide You"), through his connection with Paul Oakenfold who helped set him up with important gigs in the UK and Ibiza, and b/c a lot of people were digging his sets when they saw him live. A lot of the Trance bashers on this very board, even guys like Matas and Lola, used to praise his sets at Space.

His live sets got very popular in 2000-2002 with the cyber junkies downloading music fron Napster and AudioGalaxy. That, probably more than any other reason, is how he rose so quickly in terms of popularity.

My favorite DJ, John Digweed, dropped out of DJ Mag's Top 10, which I sort of expected. He hasn't been playing as many gigs this year as in the past. Kiss 100 London is also about to drop his show, and will instead give Tiesto his own weekly show, which quite frankly is long overdue. Shame though that it has to come at the expense of Digweed, but from a ratings point of view it makes a lot of $en$e.