Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DJ Mag turns on Tiesto

Hyype

DJ Mag Turn On Tiesto

18/11/2004

DJ Magazine ridiculed their Top 100 poll winner Tiesto as an egotistical monster who's lost all grip on reality this week, after the Dutch trance star failed to turn up at their top 100 winners party in London.

According to the magazine, the Dutch star pulled out just hours before the party was due to start because he was struggling to perfect a magic trick for a dance festival scheduled the next day, prompting an enraged response from the British mag.

“Since his shock win in 2002, Tiesto has been feeding his ego with a score of high profile events; gigs in football stadiums, a gig in New York’s Central Park- a gig at the fucking Olympics,†DJ sneered.

“Fair play, no other top 100 winner has used the title for such shrewd and calculating PR. He’s the biggest DJ on the planet . . . but boy does he know it,†they added.

The mag went on to highlight the fact he’d got a mate to mix last year’s compilation Tiesto Presents Magik Muzik when he won last year and also mocked his choice of rider for this year’s event which included booze, Red Bull and a selection of cheeses.

“Rock stars ask for mountains of cocaine and racks and racks of whores,†they scoffed. “It says a lot for dance music when Tiesto is happy with a cheese fucking sandwich.â€

Elsewhere in the same issue, club reviewer Paul Clarke was equally scathing in a review of the night, focusing on the moment when editor Lesley Wright announced him as a no-show.

“There’s an understandable sense of disappointment from some corners of the crowd- alongside a sigh of relief from those of us who’d prefer to solder our ear together than actually have to listen to his turgid tosh (rubbish- slang Ed),†he spat.

“Much as we respect our readers’ choice, we don’t actually have to agree with it, you know?â€

Tiesto’s fall from grace could present opportunities for Armin Van Buuren, who came third in this year’s poll with a DJing style apparently based on minimal record shopping and relentless repetition. The Dutch trancer’s technique was revealed in a press release for his forthcoming mix compilation Universal Religion 2004, Live From Armada in Ibiza, which captured one of his seven acclaimed Amnesia sets this summer.

“This is a collection of summer memories from one of dance music’s heroes of the moment,†the press release explained. “The 14 tracks on Universal Religion 2004 could be heard in almost every set Armin played in Ibiza.â€

Universal Religion 2004, Live From Armada in Ibiza is out in January

Jonty Skrufff (Skrufff.com)

---------------------------------------------

Wah wah wah. DJ Mag are proving to be gay drama queens here with this response.

Bashing Tiesto for not going overboard on drugs? LMAO ooh yeah, I'm sure that's really going to disappoint his fans.

Not showing up for a party at a magazine that bashes Trance, and instead is rehearsing so his fans get their money's worth the next day? Is that really so bad?

DJ Mag needs to take a good look at itself in the mirror. The magazine rarely interviews Trance DJs, and rarely publishes articles on Trance, even though it is clearly the biggest sound in Dance music. I mean, it has already acknowledged that one third of the DJs voted for were Trance. Maybe if they stopped ignorning them, their circulation would go up. Nah, why bother doing that? I guess it's better to ridicule their own democratic poll, and the DJ who's helped put Dance on the map this year over at the olympics.

BTW, Armin in not likely to top the DJ Mag list until he gets regular gigs in places like...Miami. Appearantly, Miami is one of those key cities when it comes to top DJs. Both Tiesto and Paul Van Dyk were quarterly residents at Space in Downtown Miami. It's time for Crobar, Mansion, Space, or Nocturnal to start bringing Armin to town more often.

bad move on tiesto's part..

armin is da man . number one next year for my fav dj :):bowdown:

Is it me or does anybody just want to bash these 2 DJs skulls in...I am so sick of hearing about these 2 girls.

Tiesto the over-hyped egocentric bubble gum pop star of the dance music world equal to Miss Spears or a Jessica Simpson and Armin his even less talented little sister Ashley.

Same 14 tracks in almost every set...give me a fuckin break...Bling as Sadat would say..."MAAAAAN FUCK DAT - GET A NEW DJ!" My fuckin Epileptic one handed uncle could spin the same 14 tracks like a freakin magician if they were the only tracks he played for a year. I call Shennanigans on that...number 3 Dj my ass...I swear by baby Jesus if I ever see one of these fockers out I am kickin square in the nuts.

Is it me or does anybody just want to bash these 2 DJs skulls in...I am so sick of hearing about these 2 girls.

Tiesto the over-hyped egocentric bubble gum pop star of the dance music world equal to Miss Spears or a Jessica Simpson and Armin his even less talented little sister Ashley.

Same 14 tracks in almost every set...give me a fuckin break...Bling as Sadat would say..."MAAAAAN FUCK DAT - GET A NEW DJ!" My fuckin Epileptic one handed uncle could spin the same 14 tracks like a freakin magician if they were the only tracks he played for a year. I call Shennanigans on that...number 3 Dj my ass...I swear by baby Jesus if I ever see one of these fockers out I am kickin square in the nuts.

I want what you had for lunch today bruva! :bounce::spin2:

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

djmag.jpg

:bowdown::bowdown:lyrik:bowdown::bowdown:

Hmmmmmm, not sure I agree with you there, Lyrik.

In order to know if they play the same tracks, you'd actually have to listen to trance--and you don't, bitch. It's easy to judge from the outside looking in not knowing the genre. That's like me coaching someone on how to not be funny--that would just be silly. :pint:

I know, for a fact, that Armin plays different tracks all the time. Tiesto may play a lot of the same tracks, but Armin is KNOWN for playing some of the freshest, newest trance tracks out there.

Hell, there are several house DJs in Miami that play the same tracks week in, week out and no one ever says shit.

This trance v. house debate is getting old. We should instead be talking about how banged up we're gonna get this weekend. :beer: