Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Lifting Question...

donvito

Been working out steady for a while now and i've built a real good base. Meaning ive turned a lot of fat into muscle, but now im looking to shred it and tone up a little more. In order to do this should i switch from free weights to circuit training or just switch to light weight/more reps?

I know cardio is key, so i'm keeping up with that as well.

more reps........whatever u do...

Been working out steady for a while now and i've built a real good base. Meaning ive turned a lot of fat into muscle, but now im looking to shred it and tone up a little more. In order to do this should i switch from free weights to circuit training or just switch to light weight/more reps?

if you can give me your stats! weight, height, body fat %! also what is your diet like?

if you want to "shred it up" diet is #1, i would suggest not to go to circuit you may loose the muscle you have. lift hard if thats what you are doing. your diet should consist of high protien and clean carbohydrates. so if you weigh 200lbs. you should at least (minimum) have 200 grams of protien per day. eat 5- 6 small meals a day. tuna, chicken, steak, oatmeal!!!!, yams greens, wheat bread. stay away from fast food, candy, cake etc.

cardio. 30- 45 mins 3-4X's per week.

keep lifting hard it will happen in time but not over night. and do not think if you use supplements ex. diet pills that thhis is key. some work some dont. you need a little energy focus. have a liilte cup of coffee before you work out does the same shit. also if you eat right you will not need this boost and your weight should def. start to come off. oh most important drink lots of water it flushes bad toxins and stimulates healthy absorbtion of protien and carbohydrates into your system. goodluck!

Doesn't matter a whole hell of a lot what your weight routine is that much. I'd say just stick with whatever has been working for you. Weight training doesn't shed fat. 90% of what you need to do is all in dieting and cardio.

:stupid: If you wanna shred and look more toned I would be more concerned with diet.

i think he wants to have a cut-up look...thats why I suggested more reps in his workout...

Not to offend you. But, you have obviously been watching to many bowflex comercials.

He should continue doing what he is doing. The "cut-up" look will be obtained by diet and cardio. Not, increasing the number of reps.

People actually think that doing more reps will in some way breakdown muscle tissue differently and cause a special type of rebuilding other than doing more weight and less reps.

I am not sure where in our recent history did some morone decide to insert this into the mainstream way of thinking. Perhaps, it was someone trying to make some money???

Nautica

This is from my own experience, before I used to do less reps but more heavier weights, the result, big mass accumulation with of course large muscles...then I switched to a more intense more rep work out, result was of course lower weight, but significantly more cut-up muscle shape...

I guess you have to try it to believe it...

i think he wants to have a cut-up look...thats why I suggested more reps in his workout...

Not to offend you. But, you have obviously been watching to many bowflex comercials.

He should continue doing what he is doing. The "cut-up" look will be obtained by diet and cardio. Not, increasing the number of reps.

People actually think that doing more reps will in some way breakdown muscle tissue differently and cause a special type of rebuilding other than doing more weight and less reps.

I am not sure where in our recent history did some morone decide to insert this into the mainstream way of thinking. Perhaps, it was someone trying to make some money???

Nautica

the cut up look is the lack of fat around your muscle. your objective for cutting is getting rid of fat while maintaining as much muscle mass as possible. when dieting you will lose both but you want to lose as little muscle as possible. so def eat up the protein like people suggested.

fresinha12 you said that you switched to a more intense more reps workout, by doing more reps quicker you basically achieved a more cardio like effect by keeping your heartrate higher during the workout, therefore burning additional calories.

thats right...and the key is, my diet didnt change...same amount of protien/calories intake....

going on a diet looses your muscle mass, which i believe is not what the original poster said he wanted to do, he wanted a more cut-up look which you can accomplish by maintaining same muscle mass but more cardio type routine with weights...

the cut up look is the lack of fat around your muscle. your objective for cutting is getting rid of fat while maintaining as much muscle mass as possible. when dieting you will lose both but you want to lose as little muscle as possible. so def eat up the protein like people suggested.

fresinha12 you said that you switched to a more intense more reps workout, by doing more reps quicker you basically achieved a more cardio like effect by keeping your heartrate higher during the workout, therefore burning additional calories.

thats right...and the key is, my diet didnt change...same amount of protien/calories intake....

going on a diet looses your muscle mass, which i believe is not what the original poster said he wanted to do, he wanted a more cut-up look which you can accomplish by maintaining same muscle mass but more cardio type routine with weights...

What are you talking about? Just stop it. Where are you getting any of this advice you're dispensing?

This is from my own experience, before I used to do less reps but more heavier weights, the result, big mass accumulation with of course large muscles...then I switched to a more intense more rep work out, result was of course lower weight, but significantly more cut-up muscle shape...

I guess you have to try it to believe it...

I have tried just about every type of workout known to man. But, if you had a basic understanding of the intracellular/intercellular mechanisms of muscle breakdown and recovery (hell, you don't even need to go that deep, you could probably find this information in a high school level anatomy book), you would understand that your statement was incorrect.

Basically, the muscle cells experience micro tears, which sends signals and the body releases growth factors to repair these tears, which eventually leads the muscles cells themselves to grow (not devide). The signals do not have a brain nor the ability to read "Men's Health". They do not understand whether to create a "bulky" or a "cut-up" look. They simply tear and then repair. It is as simple as that.

As far as the cardio aspect from higher reps, which you mentioned. Studies have been done to show that once glycogen has been depleted from the body, fat is utilized for energy. Glycogen will be depleted much quicker with higher intensity workouts.

If you were burning more fat with higher reps it was solely due to the fact that your actual workout time was longer. And, no I do not mean your time in the gym, I mean your actual lifting time. For example, if you lay down and do 15 reps and it takes you 15 seconds to complete the set, you will or may not use any more energy (atp) than if you do one rep that took you 15 seconds.

Now if you are doing low reps, then you get up and bull shit with your buddies for a couple of minutes, then you are not helping your self burn fat. Either do one of two things (or both). When you do your heavy weights, walk (or some other carido) until your next set starts. Or get your weight training done as quickly as possible and go strait to the treadmill. That way you are depleting glycogen during your weight training and when you get to the treadmill you will start burning fat much faster.

nautica

DIET, i cut out all sugar and bad fats, only have carbs for breakfast and lunch, lots of fruits and veggies for energy no suplements and a portion of protien(meat,shake) before bed and as soon as i get out of bed. i'm pretty ripped right now and i do 0 cardio whatsoever, just lifting 3 days per week(2 body part per day) and hardcore mid section after my lifts.

i have a mentally&physically demanding job so that about 40-60 hours a week of burning up energy as well, without a doubt this keeps my fat level ddown.

become an electrician and get your diet cleaned up and youll be rippped too.