Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Death of the Sound Factory (1995)

"One person who has suffered from these drastic changes in nightlife demographics is Junior Vasquez himself. In its final year, Sound Factory - ‘The House That Junior Built’ - was filled, not with people who loved him for his music, but with people who worshipped him as the world’s most celebrated DJ. He told me that the main reason he refused to come to Europe was because people would just stare at him in awe rather than share in the dance. However, this is exactly what happened in the Sound Factory. It became cool to be there. People came down because they thought they might see Madonna. In all respects, the dancefloor stopped moving."

so true bout today :(

when 20 cameras stare at dj's face, then rejoicing the dj plays music sober...no shit

Stare at him in awe instead of dance? I would be really shocked if this were true. I used to live in London and they still talk about when Junior finally went there and was at Ministry for a few weeks, charging double the average club entrance and people thought it was terrible and his residency was cancelled. I wasn't there so this is heresay but almost everyone I know that has seen JR. outside the US has said the crowd was not happy.

I don't think they promote him right overseas tho, I think they try to market him as a Danny-style NYC mainstream DJ and not the gay diva thing so people have the wrong expectations going in...

This is an outstanding peace of writing, so well placed at a time of so much despair in the cities night life, may this serve as lesson to all you clubbers, DJ’s and drug users who might not have had a chance to be there for what ever reason, appreciate more your city and your local DJ’s.

Ray Briones

Every city and country has its own scene. The article never stated that dance music began in New York. The writer talks about the Dance music of NYC. I found it to be a great description of the scene in 90s. It takes me back to my SF or PG, Vinyl/Arc. All the Saturday and Sunday mornings spent dancing lost in the music. The blinding strobe, the hiss of the fog machine, the incredible bass. The space where I learned to love music. Where I first got chills from an amazing track. Now I feel like the author, talking about my found memories of a space lost in time.

http://www.maestro-documentary.com/

heres some history.. im not sure if these are the same ones gabe posted up... but this is where house originated.. in chicago.. and it came from the disco.. many ppl used to dance in a place called the WHAREHOUSE... then later no when ppl were lookin for records they just shortened the name to "house"

http://www.music-101.com/images/pictures/pumpupthevolume.ram

http://www.music-101.com/images/pictures/pumpupthevolume2.ram

http://www.music-101.com/images/pictures/pumpupthevolume3.ram

• 2 months later...

All this talk about club culture, and we leave out one very important name FRANKIE BONES.

He is the one that brought the current party atmosphere and style to the United States, and he brought it from the UK, which had been having those sorts of parties for a while.

I think todays scene is much more rooted in the Rave Culture, whose techno sounds were started in Detroit, the sound was brought to europe, and the culture was imported to america, more specifically Brooklyn in 1990.

Frankie Bones is the F'n man. He will still play old skool industrial techno / tech-house sets in flushing meadows park for free....

Very few of todays DJs that have been around as long, who have done as much, and over just damn real like him will put on a free show just for the people. PROPS!

I don't think they promote him right overseas tho, I think they try to market him as a Danny-style NYC mainstream DJ and not the gay diva thing so people have the wrong expectations going in...

Junior's vibe do not travel well as a real 'jr experience' is as much about junior than it is about his crowd on those sunday morning. my humble opinion.

And about clubbing origins, EVERY new york deejay who did get a party going; be it Jr@Factory, Morales@RedZone, Body&Soul, Shelter, DT@Vinyl... they ALL go back to The Paradise Garage and The Loft (they said it themselves over and over again).

That is where the root of nyc club culture is to be found. (and that pre-dates house music or techno i believe).

And btw, yes, techno was influenced by European music but it is a true art form born in Detroit.

Everything will get an influence from somewhere, but you have to acknowlegde the birth of Techno and House as particular events and not just an evolution.

edit: and those pioneers deserve all the recognition they can get!

backupqueen

speaking of jr@sf, the deephousepage has two 1992 mixes online (-sideb's fierce -dindada vs. voices? bitch better work! 45min of classic junior vasquez)

edit: junior's also having a party this monday (daytime) from 10am-10pm at what was the original sound factory space, i.e. spirit. should be fun.

• 9 months later...