Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Big Name DJ fined for having massive 'illegal' music cache

divinedezine

Not sure how "BIG NAME" this dj was... but BIG fine for that chump!

And don't most "big-name" guys have music HANDED to them?

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Italian DJ fined for music piracy

Wed Feb 16, 2005 07:49 PM GMT

ROME (Reuters) - An Italian DJ has been fined a record 1.4 million euros (970,000 pounds) for using thousands of pirate music files in a nightclub near Rome, police say.

Police in the town of Rieti, near Rome, said on Wednesday they raided a popular nightclub earlier this week as part of a crackdown on piracy and seized 500 illegally copied music videos and more than 2,000 MP3 music files.

Police said the files belonged to a "well-known" Italian DJ.

"For the MP3 files, which were kept on the DJ's personal computer, the DJ has received a fine of 1.4 million euros," Rieti finance police said in a statement.

The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) said the fine was the biggest ever slapped on an individual for unlawful music copying and the use of copyrighted music in the MP3 format.

More than 7,000 legal actions have been launched against alleged uploaders in the United States, Canada and countries in Europe as the music industry fights to stop piracy which it blames for a decline over a number of years in CD sales.

doubt it........vinyl is the only media that stands the test of time....lasts longer than CD's

as long as im still around there will be someone buying vinyl :)

Same here, but I think we are the minority anymore. I constantly find myself in the debate over vinyl vs digital, sometimes with djs that don't eve know how to spin with vinyl.

CDs are just another tool for me, an add-on, the foundation is VINYL!

i hear you alan, i just recently got into cd's...

i used to loop the old school way......buying 2 vinyls :laugh:

then i upgraded to a sampler....now with CDJ's u dont even need those any more....

if u have any vinyl questions....check out this website....i am having these people press my first track on white lable this coming september ;)

http://www.europadisk.com/djspec.html

you know what pisses me off ??? is that yeah alot of people preffer vinyl .. but some preffer mp3's , cd's whatever ?? and most that talk shit on here about only using vinyl are those same ones that are always askin the people who do dl music for shit they cant find.. HOW IRONIC !! :rolleyes: im not gonna say names but you know who you few are ;)

so dont put down people who dl music ar use mp3's .. thats bullshit and hypocritical on your part !! if its soooo wrong then dont ask those that do for tracks ;)

vinyl ?? well , fuck you and vinyl !! ;) you are all just like the pepsi generation that are still listening to flock of seagulls and duran duran cause you are stuck in the 80's and are too stubborn to admit that the 80's are gone .. lol .. nothing wrong with 80's music .. but like vinyl , its just time to progress ;)

you know what pisses me off ??? is that yeah alot of people preffer vinyl .. but some preffer mp3's , cd's whatever ?? and most that talk shit on here about only using vinyl are those same ones that are always askin the people who do dl music for shit they cant find.. HOW IRONIC !! :rolleyes: im not gonna say names but you know who you few are ;)

so dont put down people who dl music ar use mp3's .. thats bullshit and hypocritical on your part !! if its soooo wrong then dont ask those that do for tracks ;)

vinyl ?? well , fuck you and vinyl !! ;) you are all just like the pepsi generation that are still listening to flock of seagulls and duran duran cause you are stuck in the 80's and are too stubborn to admit that the 80's are gone .. lol .. nothing wrong with 80's music .. but like vinyl , its just time to progress ;)

Hmmm...I think that deserves some negative reputation points. :laugh:

About vinyl:

Universal Music to close vinyl record factory in Gloversville

February 4, 2005, 7:06 AM EST

GLOVERSVILLE, N.Y. -- Universal Music is closing its vinyl record plant here, cutting 112 jobs.

Company spokesman Peter Lofrumento declined to discuss the reasons behind the closure. Workers at the plant, which opened in 1964, are responsible for pressing records, printing labels and jackets and shipping product.

Universal's records will be pressed by a third party in the future, Lofrumento said. The first wave of job cuts is scheduled for April 8. The factory will shut down on May 6.

"While decisions like these are difficult to make and are not undertaken lightly, they are necessary to meet the many new challenges brought about as the industry continues to rapidly evolve," Lofrumento said.

Members of Local 348 of the Union of Needle Trades, Industrial and Textile Employees-Hotel Employees and Restaurant Employees learned of the plant shutdown on Thursday.

Union district manager Robert Bruse said union and management officials would meet to iron out details about employees' benefits.

Gloversville is 38 miles northwest of Albany.

___

Information from: The Daily Gazette, http://www.dailygazette.com/

Subscribe to Newsday home delivery