Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Learning to DJ

gmanz73

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its cool to have all those little tricks and shit but i will take my rotary over ANY mixer with special effects ANY day of the week...

all i need is a 3band eq, good crisp sound, 4 channels, and im fine

to each his own but there not special effects its just the way it controls the sound from one channel to another. I could actually change channels with out moving the fader, (Fader in middle). I personally dont really use them nor have i seen someone use them.

do u guys use dual CD players or seperate?

Dual CD. I have the Denon D-4000 and that player is pretty much industry standard unless you're going to get fancier with the Pioneer CDJ-1000's, which is not a dual cd player (and which are awesome IMO but more expensive obviously).

However, I don't think it matters as long as the quality of the player(s) is there. If you're looking to save space, go with the dual cd. Again names to look for here would be Pioneer, Denon, Numark.

I use single..hence Pioneer CDJ-800, Pioneer does offer dual player which is nice and offers the scratch effect.

the scratch mode on their dual deck sucks unless you're only using it to cue tracks which is what I do...Its not touch sensitive like the cdjs...there's a delay when you touch and relase it.

depends on the venue...

big clubs have CDJ1000's

most smaller places have Denon or Pioneer dual decks...

Not true, sometimes its persoanl prefrence, I know some DJ's will bring there own stuff no matter what. Whats best is to learn the basics 1st becuase every player with have a start, cue, pause, most scratch (some do it as an effect some do it for real). IMO learn how to cue up tracks and what not once that becomes 2nd nature you could use any player to do so. But when playing with other decks some take a mili sec longer to start

son

Xone_92_rotary_side3_4_450.jpg

;)

i'll still take the rane rotary over that....i've played with the xone, its very cool....but i have no use for most of the features on it like the midi controler....i dont use a laptop with ableton live so theres no use for me. not practical u know? lots of cute little lights too that i find no use for... :half:

i also think the sound that comes out of a rane is crisper, but thats just my preference....

i'll still take the rane rotary over that....i've played with the xone, its very cool....but i have no use for most of the features on it like the midi controler....i dont use a laptop with ableton live so theres no use for me. not practical u know? lots of cute little lights too that i find no use for... :half:

i also think the sound that comes out of a rane is crisper, but thats just my preference....

the MIDI controller is like a small button on the right top corner. The filters are awesome though, and I think pretty useful. I like the Rane, the one thingt I didn't like about it though was that you can only cue one channel at a time, which I think they changed with the new version they came out with. Sound wise, I'm partial to the Xones.

a long time ago a popular DJ starting out at the same time i was starting out told me the best way to learn how to mix and beat match and do a 16 or 32 count was to get 2 copies of the same song and practice on that first -

before that i was using a stopwatch and lableing each record...

Not true, sometimes its persoanl prefrence, I know some DJ's will bring there own stuff no matter what. Whats best is to learn the basics 1st becuase every player with have a start, cue, pause, most scratch (some do it as an effect some do it for real). IMO learn how to cue up tracks and what not once that becomes 2nd nature you could use any player to do so. But when playing with other decks some take a mili sec longer to start

huh? He asked what decks clubs generally had in their booths, not about DJs bringing in their own equipment.

huh? He asked what decks clubs generally had in their booths, not about DJs bringing in their own equipment.

And I know of some DJ's that bring there own stuff, not all clubs have cd decks, most/all with have 1200's though.

And I know of some DJ's that bring there own stuff, not all clubs have cd decks, most/all with have 1200's though.

I've never come across a respectable club that hasn't had cd decks. Maybe out in like Idaho or something its a possibility...CD decks are becomign more wideley used than TTs. It wouldn't make sense to not have them.

I've never come across a respectable club that hasn't had cd decks. Maybe out in like Idaho or something its a possibility...CD decks are becomign more wideley used than TTs. It wouldn't make sense to not have them.

SO are you saying that not all clubs have 1200's? at least 1? If so I wouldnt consider that a club nor the DJ or what they would call a DJ.