Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Spirit...

Well, I went to Spirit for the first time last night and I was damned impressed.

I found it pretty much unchanged from the Twilo days - intimate, dark,

unpretentious and a killer sound system. No roped off vip areas and noone

not dancing. Way better than Crobar in these respects.

My question is: was this just a great party because it was a gay night

(Rauhofer was killer after about 3am btw), or is Spirit always this good?

gay parties have a much better vibe most times than certain straihgt parties. SPIRIT to me is a great venue great soundsystem and gets good djs as well. Prefer it over crobar myself, especially now that jp and his people are outta there.

My question is: was this just a great party because it was a gay night

(Rauhofer was killer after about 3am btw), or is Spirit always this good?

Lately they've been changing their schedule a lot and are bringing good djs back (Junior, Peter Rauhofer, Danny T, Vibe, Knuckles,...). So yes, given a few months, it will probably be the place to hear great music on any given night (my guess).

If you liked Saturday, you should check out Junior Twilo Classics next Friday until 10am - should be really great.

I work Sat, and not THAT hardcore anymore lol. Do need to check him out live again thought, it has been since Twilo

You know he's going to turn all those classics out like crazy this Friday :) You should check it out. The last few classics parties were really great (both Arena@Crobar and Tunnel@Disco; I won't even mention the classics@limelight because that was just insane) ...

gay parties have a much better vibe most times than certain straihgt parties. SPIRIT to me is a great venue great soundsystem and gets good djs as well. Prefer it over crobar myself, especially now that jp and his people are outta there.

JP bought in a lot of money to that place, and threw some damn good parties, it was fun whle it lasted

out of all the big clubs open now, i personally think spirit has the most going for it.. good layout, laid back staff DARK DARK DARK.. (i can only have fun in the dark) and an incredible sound system. and week after week of great dj's thanks to made.. anyway, it seems to capture that 90's essence somehow more so than the rest.

out of all the big clubs open now, i personally think spirit has the most going for it.. good layout, laid back staff DARK DARK DARK.. (i can only have fun in the dark) and an incredible sound system. and week after week of great dj's thanks to made.. anyway, it seems to capture that 90's essence somehow more so than the rest.

I think there needs to be a healthy medium. Spirit would be greatly benefitted by a bit of lightwork... or what would be really great is if they got some pretty cool psychedelic artwork or tapestries. "Dark" doesn't have to be synonymous with "boring."

who ever said dark was synonymous with boring? some decor would be nice: streamers, artwork, shiny fabric things etc that vinyl and tunnel used to have. but i've peronally always been keen on the warehouse feel. :)

The reason the straightup warehouse feel doesn't work for Spirit is because the club is segmented. It's not one just one big room... Hundreds of people on K walking around bumping into things and falling down stairs because its as dark as Freddy Krueger's basement gets old after a while....

And spirit saved a lot of the money to improve thier soundsystem and bring in real talent while getting rid of jp and his army.

SILVERBULL! when will u realize that you cant not get rid of JP's army, we will only come back stronger, JP's followers are everywhere. they are really not bad people, had a great time with a bunch of them, it's that a few of them are out of control, and you will find people like that in every group. im sure there are cracked out people who follow other dj's. people just enjoy shitting on JP and the people who like his music, u make it seem as if jp's fans are the worst out there. have you seen what the JR crowd looks like latley? and i've seen sum really cracked out people at DT a couple of weeks ago. and the folk who hang out at disco-tech are pretty scary @ times, and those are people who dont even like jp. if u dont like it, dont knock it

i don't know dude.. seems to have worked for many dark clubs with several rooms. maybe if you were on k too it wouldnt bother you as much. :D

I've had my share of problems navigating the stairs while trying to avoid tripping over or stepping on the little Jersey midget men :)

oh lord.. but isn't that part of the fun? i like "navigating" my way around stuff in the dark.

The biggest improvement necessary, after some "texture" or decoration.. is to stagehook that weird black dude that does all the crappy interpretive dance routines (JP's friend, right?) It's an unnecessary buzzkill, and reminds me of that fat dude in the dress from the Big Lebowski that does the avant-garde dance show at the community theater....

Cirque de Soleil is trippy, not some guy that looks like he lives in a flat screen projector box in Bushwick stuck inside of a giant tulip.