Clubplanet Nightlife Community

NE1 been clubbing in Hartford lately?

Yes, I realize just how funny this question is. I was just browsing the Boston board and noticed some people are actually driving to Hartford, CT from Boston. I know Boston clubbing has always sucked, but DAMN! Hartford? Ironically enough, I live about 10 mins. south of there and haven't been there in years. Am I missing something? How about an opinion from someone who's been there lately and actually knows what real (NYC) clubs are like.

------------------

translucent_binary.gif

Hey... I should know first hand that Hartford is lame as it gets. I used to live up in Enfield and moved down here to Stamford in part that my g-friend lives here. Granted Stamford isn't all that, but it is better than Hartford. As for NYC.... the music is just better!!! I only go to Hartford once in a while to visit friends, but they really need to play better music.... the scene is so broing as well.. no real woman!!!!!!!!!

------------------

snappy139

i'm originally from glastonbury (now in queens) and i've been going to velvet for 5 years. trust me when i tell you, its the best in hartford, but its terrible overall. i mean horrific. its a staring contest, nobody dances and vibe is average to piss-poor. and velvet is the best out of the clubs. system and insomnia remind me of the fucking prom with a whole bunch of candyrolling e-tards. always 10 dudes for every fat chick. The club scene in Hartford is 6 years behind everyone else. Bouncers can be dicks, and for no reason, its hartford for christs sake! the dj's are not that good (ma bell is played out totally, sean cunnigham is average) I'm actually trying to get my boy from SI a gig at velvet to show CT what real music is like. To give them some credit though, they are trying.

i'm prolly headed back to Glastonbury this weekend, but now its to the point that its not even worth going out to the Hartford clubs.

I am just venting cuz I like CT, but somebody needs to wake these mf's up and tell them they need to improve their wack ass clubs.

There definetly is no comparison. I went to system over Thanksgiving break and it was horrible. It was filled with scummy white trash teens all noticably really fucked up. Plus the music wasn't bumpin and just overall bad. The only thing to do in Hartford is go to bars. JP spins at Velvet on Sunday but its gay night. Twilo on the other hand, this friday was insane. Great music, great crowd.

Also this whole club thing is new to Hartford. Velvet, System, and Insomnia all opened up within the last 3-4 years. So its new to all Hartford peeps and they think its great. It all about the club scene getting mainstream and Hartford is trying to take part in it. I'm originally from East Hartford but go to Rutgers. Where's everybody else from?

Originally posted by jasonct5:

Also this whole club thing is new to Hartford. Velvet, System, and Insomnia all opened up within the last 3-4 years. So its new to all Hartford peeps and they think its great. It all about the club scene getting mainstream and Hartford is trying to take part in it. I'm originally from East Hartford but go to Rutgers. Where's everybody else from?

that's actually a good point, system and insomnia are no more than 2 years old, all fads die out, watch, these clubs will disappear in a few years. thank gawd for that. if you go out in nyc, don't even bother with these 3, you'll waste your time.

glastonbury over here

haha, Hartford. i go to school in western mass, so i have attempted in the past to venture out to Hartford. i haven't gone to the club/bar scene b/c it looks WHACK, but i have gone to some raves in Hartford.

word of caution for people going to raves in Hartford: if the rave is being held in that West African Social club or whatever, be careful of the shit you have visible in your car. The last rave i went to there MAD cars got broken into.

if you guys are down to hit raves.. drop me a PM!

------------------

*kitty19*

*turn it around baby*

kitty_cat.gif

Ok . . . i don't think Vibe is *that* bad (formerly Insomnia) - my friend spins there Friday nites and I had fun when i went. no comparison to any NY club, but still not *terrible*.

For those who are in these areas - a new club is opening in Springfield, MA, called Hippodrome. It is where the old Paramount theatre is, and the space is beautiful inside. It's owned by the same people who own Avalon (boston), Palladium (boston), and a couple others in MA, and two or three in Florida. the grand opening is in 2 weeks . . . you should check it out. smile.gif

19+ Thursday nites, 21+ Friday and Saturday nites . . .

Anyone who needs more info can email me, or whatever. biggrin.gif

luv,

brandie

------------------

"And those who were seen dancing

were thought to be insane by those

who could not hear the music."

"To love someone is something..to be loved by someone is something else..

but to be loved by the one you love is everything.." Rob&Brandie AAF

loves2cox@netscape.net

AIM: loves2cox

Glad to see we've got some CT peeps on the board. We should do a CT meetup sometime. I live in Rocky Hill (moving to Stamford next spring).

I remeber going to Velvet when it first opened. The best thing I can say about it is that it was amusing. It was full of people who looked as if they didn't truly know how to behave. It was as if some of the people there saw people clubbing on TV during some of those "X is bad for you" specials and were trying to imitate them. Because the TV clips only lasted a few minutes, these people were stuck with quite a short repertoire of dance moves and behavior. The rest of the crowd at Velvet looked as if they stumbled in expecting just another bar to get liquored up in.

------------------

translucent_binary.gif

Originally posted by translucent:

Glad to see we've got some CT peeps on the board. We should do a CT meetup sometime. I live in Rocky Hill (moving to Stamford next spring).

I remeber going to Velvet when it first opened. The best thing I can say about it is that it was amusing. It was full of people who looked as if they didn't truly know how to behave. It was as if some of the people there saw people clubbing on TV during some of those "X is bad for you" specials and were trying to imitate them. Because the TV clips only lasted a few minutes, these people were stuck with quite a short repertoire of dance moves and behavior. The rest of the crowd at Velvet looked as if they stumbled in expecting just another bar to get liquored up in.

LOL

cwm2.gifcwm2.gif

I couldn't have said it better myself. I went when it first opened up and everybody had glowsticks but didn't know what to do with them. They had glow sticks in their mouth, on hats, everywhere.

Originally posted by jasonct5:

...everybody had glowsticks but didn't know what to do with them. They had glow sticks in their mouth, on hats, everywhere.

Ha ha! Yep, that's what struck me too: no one even attempted to WAVE their stix...everyone was just dancing with them in thir clenched fists with their hands to their sides.

------------------

translucent_binary.gif

brandie, i am def. willing to check out some of these clubs in hartford, will you be going anytime soon? it's better than being stuck here at smith!

and what is this about CT people not knowing what to do with glowstix? shit, imma have to represent and show them how we do in NyC.. cwm38.gif

------------------

*kitty19*

*turn it around baby*

kitty_cat.gif

Hartford is the most disgusting, depressing, pathetic excuse for a city I have ever encountered. I had a boyfriend from there once and that place is wack! The people are nasty and Velvet is gross. Boston is a hell of a lot better in all aspects than Hartford. It is full of 12 year old crackhead ravers and WTs.

thanks

Last year I spun at a one night party called MOVEMENT in a venue called the Webster Theatre in Hartford... I'm not sure if they have a regular weekly there, but that night it was INSANE! Packed to the gills, and this place has probably one of the best 5 soundsystems I've ever played on...too bad that it closes at 2... Do they still have parties there?

------------------

Upcoming Gigs:

Thursdays - Plush, LI

Fridays - Cream, NYC

Sats:

12/16 - Arena, Albany NY

12/23 - Arena, Albany NY

1/13 - Slopes, Hunter Mountain

1/14 - Phillidelphia (Location TBA)

Sat Dec. 23rd - 92.7 & 98.5 FM 3-5am

www.djrussreign.com

NY METS 2000 NL CHAMPS!

Originally posted by russ reign:

Last year I spun at a one night party called MOVEMENT in a venue called the Webster Theatre in Hartford...

The Webster is not as much a club as a venue for live acts, kinda like the Hammerstein. When they first reopened, they used to have dj's spin there a few times a month. Unfortunately, by now they mostly book live bands.

------------------

translucent_binary.gif

I live about 30 min south of Htfd and used to go out every weekend to a hip hop club called Vodoo, and visited Velvet before I got into techno and house, at first it was fun. But like with everything..it gets old. Vodoo changed to System afterhours and I gave it a try along with Insomnia and never had a good time there. Too many little kiddies cracked out. I have given up on Htfd for now and go to the city. Instead of going out every weekend to lame clubs, I go about once a month to the city and always have a great time. Been to Ohm, Exit, SF, Twilo, Cheetah, Aria, Float, to name a few and although I am not big on the larger clubs, I never can say that I have had a terrible time. I stay away from Exit and SF because I feel like I am being crushed and rubbed up on by sweaty muscle men. New clubs need to be introduced to Htfd and then maybe I will give them one more chance. NYC and LA are by far the best places I have been for clubbing.

I grew up in Bloomfield, CT which is 5 minutes from downtown HFTD. When I was in High School none of these places existed. I did frequent the bar scene because they were easy to get into. Went to college in Boston. The clubs there were pretty bad. They opened up a place called Exchange right before I moved to Jersey, and that was alright, not too much space but played pretty good music. When I moved here I was blown away with the NYC clubs. Nothing like it. I have been here three years now and I am just now starting to cut back on clubbing. I was surprised to see that HFTD had clubs when I returned. Everyone has been bashing it, but honestly I looked at it as a change of pace. Yes I know all of you think nothing will ever be better then big lights big city NYC, but going to the same places every weekend gets old. I am a true believer that if you are with a bunch of people you hang with and enjoy being around, and the music is there, then it really doesn't matter where you are. Just my opinion.

AAAhhhhhhhhhh.... glow sticks are getting played out just like the presidential race......I guess Hartford would be fun if their were " real " woman there. All there seems to be are little girls, but I guess that's all Hartford gets when the scene is 18 and up!!!!! Too bad-

------------------

snappy139

AAAhhhhhhhhhh.... glow sticks are getting played out just like the presidential race......I guess Hartford would be fun if their were " real " woman there. All there seems to be are little girls, but I guess that's all Hartford gets when the scene is 18 and up!!!!! Too bad-

------------------

snappy139

I am glad I am not the only one who believe that CT is wack...I pretty much have given up on the CT scene and go to the city every weekend, but if there is meet up I am down with it....

------------------

Put the CD in... The Music will do the rest..