Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Does anyone like Centro-Fly???

i've been there so many times i'm just over it. i used to think it was awesome. when they first opened, they announced an open door policy and said that the cover charge would always be $10. well that quickly changed. cover charge went up to $20 on saturdays, the night we always went. then they started restricting access to the Tapioca Room and the VIP area. half the time you can't get into the other areas to sit because they are reserved for private parties. so, for $20 (or $10 if you happen to be on a list - but not the Clubnyc list - they don't honor it), you get to stand around the perimeter of the dance floor (if you don't feel like dancing). the Plant dj's on saturday nights are okay...but they play the same house music every weekend. Friday nights are cool because the Touch Brothers are spinning. there are a lot of special events like Fatboy Slim, Roger Sanchez, and the GBH parties on three-day holiday weekends that are good. and you can't deny that it's a really cool-looking club. but when they won't let you roam around freely, it's just not fun. some of the few times we've talked our way back into the Tapioca Room, we get back there and nobody is there! used to be the vibe back there was totally cool with 70's music (Fly, Robin, Fly; Kung Foo Fighting) but the last time i was in there it sounded the same as the main dance floor. i'd have to say the lights on the dance floor are blinding, just far too intense, and most of the time it's too hot. the one thing i love most about CF is that black & white spinning spiral on the ceiling of the dance floor - stand under it, look up and spin around as fast as you can. you'll see what i mean if you do it.

Mountain Dew filmed a commercial there and Mary J. Blige filmed a video there. there's no doubt it's a hot club, i just got burnt out on it. maybe after a long break I'll go back, or if it's a special occasion.

which night(s) do you go? i'm curious about their friday nights with the Touch Brothers spinning - has anybody been recently?

I really like it...they get quality DJ's..and the crowd is 21+..and it's a bit classier than twilo or vinyl..etc....

whenever I walk in though..I still get a flashback from when it was tramps...going to see the meters and the whole floor had an inch of beer on it...sure different now!

------------------

" I give in to sin ..Because you have to make this life liveable "-DM

Smoknjilly@aol.com

Centro-Fly is awsome, have been there a couple of times to see Roger Sanchez. Haven't been in awhile though, they could hook up their lighting system a little more, and make it so it doesn't blind you when you look up.

From the times I've been, I think Centrofly is the one of the best clubs in the city, on certain nights. Next to Twilo it's the only club in the city that gets a revolving list of internationaly respected dj's spinning, though Limelight is stepping into the mix with its Gatecrasher residency and other DJ's its had spinning there.

I think its cool, with more clubs get awsome revolving lineups like Twilo, CentroFly, and Gatecrasher, just makes NYC clubbing better.

[This message has been edited by dv8 (edited 12-06-2000).]

Centro rocks. It brings in int. names and quality music all around as previously mentioned. it is also one of the few places (IMO) that you can go and chill for a few, dance all night and rage, both or in between.

Most other venues have the atmosphere of one or the other. Usually the crowd and vibe is great as well. Sanchez this sat smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

no comment ... the infrastructure of that place can suck a big dick ... and i dont think its that nice looking ... whoooo, black and white stripes and circles .. big fuckin whop the place is ugly ... it worked at drinkland ... but c'mon come up with a new idea for ur club ...

lol...does have the drinkland club feel (but like Twilo is a wonder to behold inside!). i like it on Thursday nights, but haven't gone in awhile because if i hear Scream and Shout, Bad Habit, and Believe one more time, i am going to puke. Erick needs to play newer, better stuff (and i think he is a great dj).

BTW, the strobes in Centro suck! they blind you from above, because the rotate so often....constantly annoying

Been to Centro Fly a few times...had fun every time, Armand Van Helden was def. the night I had the best time--but I wouldn't say it was the best out there smile.gif...with so much to choose from, there's something for everyone in NYC biggrin.gif

------------------

=)

Originally posted by thewedge:

I was there once and didn't like it although the manager was cool and bought me drinks. I just wasn't into the strictly disco house they were playing.

I agree w/ Mike here. I was there that day w/ him on my b-day.

------------------

genie.gif This genie grants 3 wishes... Hey I'm not sharing! He's all MINE!

Double> Does Richard F ever spin on these Thursdays? If so, how is he?

------------------

"House music... it can change your soul."

"The second most popular game that we played as children... is house."

"Not everyone understands house music... it's a spiritual thing, a body thing, a soul thing."

I wouldn't say it's the best overall club right now.. but they do have some slammin Thursday night.

------------------

AIM: slimchezdy

I'm outta place

I'm in outer space

I've just vanished without a trace

I'm going to a pretty place now where the flowers grow

I'll be back in an hour or so -- Eminem