Clubplanet Nightlife Community

XS/Tempts Review!! From a Nobody.

Lets start with Sat and XS. R3 ventures has done a great job of gathering a decent sized crowd. XS was not too packed on Sat, it was just the way you would want it. Now onto the good stuff. Ojeda and Klutch. I am by no means a hip hop guy and though I am a spic I try to stay away from Hip hop music. This being said Klutch was off the frigging hook! The guy really actually works the turntables. He actually spins vinyl and he also actually seems to be into what he is doing. Lets now go to the opposite end of the spectrum and Jason Ojeda. Dare I say Mr. CD! Dude come on how can a guy like that basically spin CD's the whole night. To boot he looks miserable in the booth. If you arent having fun getting payed nicely to play music get the fuck out and dont come back. I could have done the same thing Ojeda did, look into my through my CD's and pick some shit out. Big fucking deal.

Now onto Tempts on Sunday. That was the first time other then closing parties that Tempts actually had a "Tempts" kind of feeling. The energy was way up and other then a few dirty records Denny was rocking it. Yes Tempts is his house! Maybe Sunday night will be a wakeup to the majority of Rookies that now make up the scene. Big thumbs up to the guys bathroom, even though the place was packed the guys bathroom was moving!

To sum things up

Ojeda= Lame

Klutch= good as hell even though I aint into hip hop

Denny= still owns Tempts and rocked it as usual.

i am glad u enjoyed my set man,it was 4th of july weekend i was pumped and grateful to be there, had to put on a show for everyone that went out of there way to come out,

u gotta be pumped in the dj booth when u play the crowd feeds off that, even if they cant see u they no ur playin wit feeling,

this year the hip hop isnt as big as it was at xs last year so i deff have to work extra hard to get it moving in there,if u ever come thru again stop by the dj booth and say wats up! once again the love is greatly appreciated.....

p.s. vinyl forever! lol

> > SaL kLuTcH

i am glad u enjoyed my set man,it was 4th of july weekend i was pumped and grateful to be there, had to put on a show for everyone that went out of there way to come out,

u gotta be pumped in the dj booth when u play the crowd feeds off that, even if they cant see u they no ur playin wit feeling,

this year the hip hop isnt as big as it was at xs last year so i deff have to work extra hard to get it moving in there,if u ever come thru again stop by the dj booth and say wats up! once again the love is greatly appreciated.....

p.s. vinyl forever! lol

> > SaL kLuTcH

I heard you first Memorial weekend, and I agree. You were great. Good job!

Lets now go to the opposite end of the spectrum and Jason Ojeda. Dare I say Mr. CD! Dude come on how can a guy like that basically spin CD's the whole night. To boot he looks miserable in the booth. If you arent having fun getting payed nicely to play music get the fuck out and dont come back. I could have done the same thing Ojeda did, look into my through my CD's and pick some shit out. Big fucking deal.

Are you serious? You need to learn a little bit about Djing to imply in some way that using cds is somehow easier than spinning vinyl. I guess Eric Morillo sucks too because he uses a lot of cds in his sets. Sasha and Digweed must really blow because they use a laptop. Trust me dood, you couldn't do with cds what we do. If you have tabletop cd players ie Pioneers, its exactly the same as spinning vinyl except for the broken back you get from luggin to cases of vinyl with you everywhere

Ok get this straight, his (Ojeda) whole frigging set was CD's. Get this straight he looked like he would have rather have been sleeping. I totally understand lots of Dj's use CD's, but the whole fucking set? You cant tell me that all those top flight guys you mentioned only use Cd's. Take Denny for example does he use CD's yes but he does a great job of using when needed. Maybe I was paying too much attention to Ojeda but I think a crowd which is what we are, feed off the DJ, when he looks tired and bored I start to feel the same way.

Klutch I will def stop by and say whats up. Again big props to you. You tore it up. Best of all I know from watching you that you actually love what you do and that makes it that much better.

Finally about me being able to Dj. Yes I could put on a few CD's and match beats and then sit there and fall asleep. Which is what Ojeda did.

Ok get this straight, his (Ojeda) whole frigging set was CD's. Get this straight he looked like he would have rather have been sleeping. I totally understand lots of Dj's use CD's, but the whole fucking set? You cant tell me that all those top flight guys you mentioned only use Cd's. Take Denny for example does he use CD's yes but he does a great job of using when needed. Maybe I was paying too much attention to Ojeda but I think a crowd which is what we are, feed off the DJ, when he looks tired and bored I start to feel the same way.

Klutch I will def stop by and say whats up. Again big props to you. You tore it up. Best of all I know from watching you that you actually love what you do and that makes it that much better.

Finally about me being able to Dj. Yes I could put on a few CD's and match beats and then sit there and fall asleep. Which is what Ojeda did.

Just an FYI Erick Morillo Uses ALL Cd's, he doesnt even have a turntable connected when he plays.

In his contract it requests 3 Pioneer CDJ-1000's

Doesnt even want a turntable.

That really makes me think less of Morillo as well. Well too bad. By the way Ojeda was fucing miserable looking. Why be so fucking bored. I dont get it. I much rather have seen him throw on a pre-mixed Cd then leave then come back and hit stop and throw it over to Klutch.

First of all ,if you go to a club and are more concerned about whether the dj is using vinyl or cd's......instead of drinking and checking out the girls you have serious issues. And worrying about if he looks tired and bored?? ummmmm...............

Denny uses over 50% cd FYI. Probably more like 75%. Laptop also, but we wont get into that. New stuff is digital mastered...... weeks before it goes analog , if it even does.........Klutch doesnt play HOUSE MUSIC so its a whole different story with him. He is awesome at his style with the vinyl.

Much easier to mix house on vinyl than cd??? hahah, because i guess you feel the need to drag and spin the platter. Some of us use pitch control , exclusively, on both vinyl and cd but i guess you didnt get that far yet. What are you gonna do when dvd takes over? Complain that the djs arent using vhs tapes?

If you want to lug around vinyl thats your decision but you shouldnt bash the cd djs. Technology has advanced, deal with it. Why shouuld I carry around 8 crates of vinyl, and its really hard in the rain and snow(not that you know), when I can do the same thing in 3 cd cases?? And carry them all out to the car in one trip. I guess you dont actually work at real nightclubs on a fulltime basis wouldnt know about this. And do you want to wake up at 8am the next day... after working until 3am.... to unload the car full of vinyl because the heat will warp the vinyl in the summer months?

I guess you dont know that. You can manage the one crate of whatever mondo convinces you is the hottest record out, in one trip that you own and too busy walking around with your headphones around your neck wherever you go.

Come by one day help me move my 9000 12"'s to another room, because it is an all day job. Half of my cd's are recorded off the original 12"'s so does that mean I cant play them because they arent vinyl?

You just seem to have it out to bash Ojeda.... Oh yes....where do you dj again??

Guest saleen351

funny thread...

oscar g and morillo both use cds only and trust me, only a handful of djs can do what they do with them. Put it this way, when morillo plays space, they put a video screen up showing him, tons of djs show up to watch that screen to see how he's doing it..

OG has him beat though...

Laptops are a very bad idea... They allow djs to go awry with thier sets. Too many tracks at their finger tips..

Where do I DJ??? In my fucking toilet with my little sausage. The point about me looking at the dj and not the girls sorry. Excuse me I was at the club with my girl, oh yeah by the way I was enjoying my drinks just not the music.

Guys to sum up maybe I am a bit old and biased towards vinyl. So Sorry and WAAAWAAA if you don't like my comments. Some of you so called DJ's take the Cd's comment way to heart, chill out dude. I am sure you are a great Dj with CD's.

You all have inspired me I have a few songs on my laptop I am thinking about taking it to clubs and laying down some beats. Wow that sounds great! Should I bring my pocket protector as well?

Honestly I've been djing for a little over 5 years now and all everybody uses now is cd's as far as House DJs go. The best DJs in the world all use CDs now, and I've found that there is so much more CREATIVITY AND VERSATILITY involved when using the Pioneers CDJs. You can add so much more emotion and build ups to the music than when using just vinyl. Anyone that knows house music knows that being a house DJ and playing house music is all about creativity not just playing records and if the Pioneer CDjs allow you to be more creative then common sense tells you they must be great to use. Its takes just as much skill to control a cd player as it does to use a turntable, if not more. Technology is advancing and so is our music but for the better. I have respect for all DJs whether vinyl or digital its all about the creativity. As far as Ojeda goes, he's been out there for a while and he's out there and a well known DJ for a reason and just cause he wasnt doing jumping jacks in the booth for you that night doesnt make him a bad DJ. He was probably just tired and having a laid back night, the man works hard. You should try to get out more often and WATCH some of the biggest DJs play maybe you'll learn something. :werd:

Ok I really wanted to end this hear but did you say learn something? What about a certain guy by the name of Oakenfold, does he just sit there and look sappy? What about a certain guy Picotto? Does he just stand there and look retarded? I think these guys have earned there place among the best. Please dont tell me that the top flight guys dont show emotion in the booth. Not going to sit here and give you my resume but I have seen pretty much every important dj of our time and most of them are always into the music they are spinning. If you dont like what you are spinning why should I? I guess Carl Cox doesnt get amped in the booth does he? You should get out some and learn.

Ok I really wanted to end this here but did you say, learn something? What about a certain guy by the name of Oakenfold, does he just sit there and look sappy? What about a certain guy Picotto? Does he just stand there and look retarded? I think these guys have earned there place among the best. Please dont tell me that the top flight guys dont show emotion in the booth. Not going to sit here and give you my resume but I have seen pretty much every important dj of our time and most of them are always into the music they are spinning. If you dont like what you are spinning why should I? I guess Carl Cox doesnt get amped in the booth does he? You should get out some and learn.

Ok I really wanted to end this hear but did you say learn something? What about a certain guy by the name of Oakenfold, does he just sit there and look sappy? What about a certain guy Picotto? Does he just stand there and look retarded? I think these guys have earned there place among the best. Please dont tell me that the top flight guys dont show emotion in the booth. Not going to sit here and give you my resume but I have seen pretty much every important dj of our time and most of them are always into the music they are spinning. If you dont like what you are spinning why should I? I guess Carl Cox doesnt get amped in the booth does he? You should get out some and learn.

Actually Oakenfold lays down his whole nights set by track order before he plays it which i consider VERY LAME and when he does his mini tours you will hear the same exact set and track order

Listen I believe Oakenfold has done enough in his career to pretty much do whatever the fuck he wants now. Yes he is commercial but the guy at least acts like he is energized when he spins. We are talking about energy now.

its funny cause everyone is always the first to point the finger on technology bein the reason most djs stop playin vinyl and moving onto cd when in reality the reason 95 percent of djs switch to cd or laptop is cause there LAZY......

i can bet anything that denny and any other dj who djs for a living can do exactly wat they do on cd wit vinyl cause before technology there was only one thing and if u put the time in and where around when it was just vinyl that was ur creative tool,there was no loop button no pitch shifting shit it was straight up wax wether u were a hip hop or house dj,u got busy wit wat u had,

everytime i do guest spot gigs u no how many times i hear " damn u got like 6 cases wit u why dont u switch to cd its easier " i enjoy the thrill of goin to the record shop and buying music especially diggin for records at the salvation army to the vintage bookshops in the city for me that was a huge factor of bein a dj,the thrill of goin to the record shop thursday to get ur music right for the weekend

i thought alot bout switchin over to serato and doin the laptop thing which for a hip hop dj is deff the future,also i hate carrying all those cases of records myself,but as long as records are around and accessable i will stick to that format cause no matter wat anyone says or tells you theres no feeling like vinyl on ur finger tips and the crackles of playin an old record thru a sound system

i am not knocking any dj who uses cds or any other format by no means, i heard denny play on cds and he is amazing on them and he is established enuff to play wat he want to play on,but it doesnt come down to the technology factor it comes down to carrying 6 cases of vinyl or a cd book

> > SaL kLuTcH

Listen I believe Oakenfold has done enough in his career to pretty much do whatever the fuck he wants now. Yes he is commercial but the guy at least acts like he is energized when he spins. We are talking about energy now.

He has done enough where he could do what ever he wants? :confused:

SO if you went to see him in NYC and paid $50 in Advance to see him and he played his records from beginning to end, with NO mixing, it would be OK?

Are you fucking kidding me with this statement ??? done enough can do whatever the fuck he wants

did you ever think he was soo energized because he has a shit load of retards like you paying 50 bucks for pre recorded sets who all think he walks on water ....hell i would be excited too

So what you are saying is that Oakenfold has not earned his price???? That makes a lot of sense considering you go to a club in the city or even jersey and you are going to pay 20-30 bucks for a frigging nobody when you compare him to a legend.