Clubplanet Nightlife Community

STEVE TRAVOLTA and QUENTIN HARRIS@CIELO on sun aug 7th

the party is from 8pm till 2am, which is perfect. Steve and amazing dj quentin an amazing producer who i hear can also beat the box pretty good. My first time hearing quentin but am i big fan of his work. Should be a fun night with the househeads.

the party is from 8pm till 2am, which is perfect. Steve and amazing dj quentin an amazing producer who i hear can also beat the box pretty good. My first time hearing quentin but am i big fan of his work. Should be a fun night with the househeads.

Sounds like fun indeed, but can you please address the question about how to get inside to appreciate Quentin's work in the "HELP - IN NEED OF GUESTLIST FOR CIELO" thread?

hey max CIELO on mons for the deepspace party with FRANCOIS K and the ROOTS party on weds with LOUIE VEGA has no dress code no attitude no nonsense door. Also when a DEEPHOUSE party comes thru on a sunday like steve and qunetin there wont be a door drama, jsut pay your 10bucks and have fun. See you there. As for the other nights cielos door is sometimes a bitch i agree on certain thurs, fri, sats. There really isnt a guestlist per say on those nights, and its the door guys discretion. Next timeyou wanna go shoot me a pm.

His name is Steve Travolta and he turns the mutha out! His annualHalloween Bash is unforgettable and his DJ set for the Richard Alvarezbenefit was outta this world. This month, he joins producer du jourQuentin Harris for the formation of their new party FRESH FRUIT! Here’sa some of what he had to say:

NICK NAME

STD

NAME

Steve Travolta

NICK NAME

STD

PROFESSION

DJ

EDUCATION

University of Washington, School of Communications.

CITY

Brooklyn, NY

COUNTRY

US

TELL US ABOUT YOUR NEW PARTY FRESH FRUIT:

The idea for the party came after Quentin and I played together atStereo in Montreal and the night was nothing short of magical. Whileour sounds are both unique, they also fit together quite well.

HOW DID YOU MEET QUENTIN HARRIS?

I had known of Quentin and seen him around over he past 10 years in NYCbut we didn’t make a true connection until July of ‘04 through his Dubversion of Patti Labelle’s “New Dayâ€. Somebody had copied the track forme without his permission and next weekend I played it about 10 or 15times on a Saturday night gig at the Roxy. Ironically, I wanted to callhim and let him know how the kids were gagging on it, but feltuncomfortable about the situation because I don’t subscribe to idea ofunauthorized CD copying. Little did I know that Quentin had receivedthe reports by the next day and when I finally ran into him up atJellybean’s office about a month later it was all good.

HOW DO YOU KNOW BENNY SOTO?

I met Benny while he was working the door at a couple of parties that Danny Krivit was spinning in the late Nineties.

WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO CALL THE PARTY FRESH FRUIT?

Originally the party was suppose to be called “Organicâ€, and I feltthat the name was too serious for the feeling that comes through whenQuentin and I spin together. At the last minute we decided on the namechange because it better represented the raw NY underground house soundthat we spin.

HOW DID YOU BECOME AFFILIATED WITH DEF MIX?

That’s a common misconception. I simply worked as assistant director ofFor The Record in ’98. David Morales and Frankie Knuckles and I havehad a very close friendship and working relationship since ’92. Ourconnection goes far beyond the music, they have taught me more aboutlife, love and humility than I ever expected to learn.

WHICH OF YOUR REMIXES ARE YOU MOST PROUD OF?

I’m most proud of the edit of “Finally†by Kings of Tomorrow, which isactually more of re-working than a remix that I worked on with DannyKrivit.

WHICH OF YOUR PRODUCTION ARE YOU MOST PROUD OF?

This also brings up a key point. I’m not interested in being anythingother than a great DJ. I consider myself more of a “Producer’s Museâ€because, when in the proper environment, I take risks to break newground. Also, about three years ago I hired Soundman Shorty, of SBS andStereo fame, to install a Sound System for a few of the private loftparties I was throwing and from that point on I became much moreinterested in Quality of Sound, Engineering and Sound Systeminstallation.

WHAT ARE SOME OF THE CLUBS AND CITIES YOU’VE DJ’ED IN AROUND THE WORLD?

My main focus is and always will be spinning in NYC. Although my secondhome is Stereo in Montreal, and I’ve had some wonderful opportunitiesto spin in Italy, Greece, Singapore and Berlin.

WHICH DJ’s REPRESENT THE FUTURE OF HOUSE MUSIC?

Alix Alvarez and Mr. V. - Along with Quentin Harris, they represent the future of the scene.

FIRST RECORD YOU EVER BOUGHT

“Tainted Love†by Soft Cell.

LAST RECORD YOU BOUGHT

Joe Clausell’s “Mafungoâ€

DEFINE HOUSE MUSIC FOR THOSE THAT DON’T KNOW?

House music is truly a hybrid of cultures and sounds from around the world.

WHATS THE MOST COMMON MISTAKE MADE IN HOUSE MUSIC?

Some of my most memorable moments as a DJ could technically beconsidered mistakes. It’s always those small things that weren’t in the“plan†that keep the night and the music interesting.

WHEN WERE YOU FIRST INTRODUCED TO HOUSE MUSIC?

In ’86 when I purchased “Baby Want’s To Rideâ€

WHAT CLUBS DID YOU FREQUENT WHEN YOU FIRST JOINED THE SCENE?

Sound Factory Bar and The Original Sound Factory.

DESCRIBE YOUR DJ STYLE

I usually play just a little bit of everything. Programming is my true strength.

IF SOMEONE WROTE A SONG TO DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY/LIFE, WHAT WOULD THE TITLE BE?

“Novellaâ€

WHAT DO YOU SEE YOURSELF AS DOING AS A CAREER IF YOU NEVER GOT INTO HOUSE MUSIC?

Visual Artist

WHO WOULD YOU CONSIDER YOUR BIGGEST INFLUENCES?

On a creative level: Danny Krivit, Frankie Knuckles, David Morales, Francios K, and Quentin Harris.

On a business level: Phil Smith of Phazon Sound

IF I LOOKED IN YOUR CD PLAYER NOW, WHAT KIND OF MUSIC MIGHT I SEE?

Celia Cruz, Eddie Palmieri, The Rolling Stones, Stevie Nicks, Stevie Wonder, Mariah Carey, Diana Ross and Art of Noise.

WHAT IMPORTANT TRENDS DO YOU SEE IN OUR INDUSTRY?

The scene seems to be headed away from the excessive commercialization and back towards the underground

WHAT IS YOUR MOST MEMORABLE HOUSE MUSIC MOMENT

Frankie Knuckles at the Sound Fa ctory Bar in ’92.

WHERE DO YOU SEE OUR SCENE 10 YEARS FROM NOW?

In a much healthier well balanced place.

WHAT ROLE WILL TECHNOLOGY PLACE IN THE ADVANCEMENT OF HOUSE MUSIC?

Although at present it seems that the internet is killing the scene,eventually it will help turn things around. Hopefully someone will comeup with a solution for the low quality sound of MP3s and Lap TopComputers.

WHAT NIGHTCLUB HAS A SPECIAL PLACE IN YOUR HEART?

Stereo in Montreal.

WHAT SEPRATES A GOOD DJ FROM A GREAT ONE?

Programming, Programing, Programming and the ability to play a sound system at moderate DBs.

HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE THE ESSENCE OF SUCCESS?

Staying true to your artistic vision.

ACCORDING TO YOUR DEFINITION OF SUCCESS, HOW SUCCESSFUL HAVE YOU BEEN SO FAR?

Extremely.

WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE SEASON?

Summer

IN THE MOVIE VERSION OF YOU LIFE, WHO WILL PLAY YOU?

Diana Ross

OVER EASY, OR SUNNY SIDE UP?

I’ll take the fifth

FAVORITE TV SHOWS

Americas Next Top Model

FAVORITE MOVIES

The Women, Auntie Mame and Show Girls.

FAVORITE BOOKS

Jonathan Livingston Seagull and Catcher In The Rye.

FAVORITE ENTERTAINERS

Chaka Khan

FAVORITE NUMBER

SHOE SIZE

FAVORITE PLACE TRAVELLED TO

Greece

MOST MEMORABLE JOB AS A TEENAGER

Grays Papaya

WHATS UNDER MY BED

A Glass of Water

PEOPLE IN HISTORY I’D LIKE TO MEET

Albert Einstein

WHEN I RETIRE I’D LIKE TO

Paint

WHAT DOES BOUNCEFM.COM MEAN TO YOU

Bouncefm represents the true mood of NYC’s house culture.

CONTACT INFORMATION FOR PEOPLE WHO’D LIKE TO BOOK YOU/USE YOUR SERVICES

Jessica@collectivegroove.com

PLEASE INCLUDE A RECENT PLAYLIST SO FANS CAN GET A SENSE OF YOUR MUSICAL STYLE.

“Hauntedâ€â€“ Quentin Harris - Unsigned

“Aw Shit†– DJ Thom T. – Peace Bisquit

“Alright’ (David Morales 2005 Mix) – Sterling Void - ?

“Love Affair†– Dalminjo – Out of Orbit Recordings

“Joy†– Trina Broussard – Restricted Access

“East Street Beat†(Danny Krivit Edit) – Chocolette

“Hate Won’t Change Me†– Byron Stingly - Unsigned

“We Belong Together†(LP Version) – Mariah Carey – Def Soul

“Let Me Love You†– Anane feat. Mr. V – MAW

“Inside†Gravity Beats – Wavetec

Note: Benny Soto, Kevin Williams, with Jessica O' Connor present...

"FRESH FRUIT"

Sunday, August 7th

Music by Steve Travolta and Quentin Harris

8pm-2am

Cielo

18 Little West 12th Street (between 9th and Washington)

$10

Steve Travolta and producer of the moment, Quentin Harris team up for aserious evening of music, madness and carrying on! You won't want tomiss this one as ST and QH promise to serve up a fruit cocktail offresh booty pumping beats lightly flavored with an occasional houseclassic! Something a little different..if you know what we mean....

I might make an appearance. I need to take a little break from Shelter seems I end up there allot now. Deeper is better, but I can not wait to get some Hard and Soul on the 13th. You missed out on Danny at Spirit Gabe he tour that booth apart.

been hearing steve for a while now and i feel him very strongly, its quentin who i never head live b4, but his productions speak for themselves. If your free on weds afa come thru to le souk as well i made a post about it. As for the whole JOURNEY thingy, different people see different ways to a journey. I missed danny 2 times after crobar cause of my g/f, but i caught him at show and that was amazing believe it or not. See ya soon. Wut about the idea for the party name backupqueen, wut you think of that lol.

just wanted to say that this was the highlight of my weekend.,. and this was a long one.,. walked in as steve was coming on, and he had me going for 3 hours straight.,. god, i love the homos, they always spin the best house.,. gabe, i was hoping to see you, but i guess not.,. cant wait til next month.,. sept 25th.,. gonne be the day after i come back from europe, so i wanna see faces, peoople

i know how it is drew.,. sat, after os1 and sully i just couldnt make it til the end of tedd, i was beat.,. not to mention soaked.,. felt like i stepped out of a swimming pool.,. chilled out sun, did brunch and MoMA with ma flava.,. by 10, when the papi called, i was set to go out, and steve was just pumpin out one great track after another.,,. towards the end, he handed the decks over to quinten for a few tracks and came out on the floor to dance with us.,. or shall i say vogue with us.,. haha! good times, good times

i know how it is drew.,. sat, after os1 and sully i just couldnt make it til the end of tedd, i was beat.,. not to mention soaked.,. felt like i stepped out of a swimming pool.,. chilled out sun, did brunch and MoMA with ma flava.,. by 10, when the papi called, i was set to go out, and steve was just pumpin out one great track after another.,,. towards the end, he handed the decks over to quinten for a few tracks and came out on the floor to dance with us.,. or shall i say vogue with us.,. haha! good times, good times

must disagree/quentin was great/first time really enjoyed him/beautiful melody/steve to me was boring/very uninspired/oh well just my thoughts/nice club though/little to small for my taste/ a few more women would have been nice/nothing like having male sweat rubbing on you while you are dancing to ruin a night/can we please just keep the shirths on/ just an idea :type:

honestly.,. when i walked in me and my friend were probably the only females in there. that, and it smelled like gay men.,. but as the nite wore on, the shirtless, sweaty guys left and everything changed.,. by like 1 the crowd changed, more striaght.,. very industry, tho.,. so it was still really male oriented.,.

honestly.,. when i walked in me and my friend were probably the only females in there. that, and it smelled like gay men.,. but as the nite wore on, the shirtless, sweaty guys left and everything changed.,. by like 1 the crowd changed, more striaght.,. very industry, tho.,. so it was still really male oriented.,.

oh well/maybe try again another night/heard wed are real good/going out on sundays are tough to begin with/maybe i was a little jaded to begin with.looking foward to sandra friday at crobar/good start since both djs are female/

is that your real pic? i believe i saw you and you dance quite well. :)

yea.,. thats my real pic.,. i was wearing a orange/stripey/sparkley tube top and white capris.,.

and thank you.,. i try.,. and when a dj strikes a verve, i just cant help it.,. i didnt stop from the moment i walked in (around 11:20) til cielo closed.,. i hear ya about sundays, but this was just what i needed.,. ill be there again tonite for dj true