Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Should a dj be booked based on their productions or actual DJING skills.

What do you guys think? I mean some people go crazy when they here such n such dj is gonna play somehwere or want that same dj to play somewhere because they like one or a few song by that artist. But just because they make a great song or 2 or a few doesnt mean that they are good djs.

Great djs sometimes make great productions while producers sometimes suck as djs as well. I do think that making a great track is a good way for a worldwide audience to regonize the prodcuer but then because of that one song suddenly he/she gets a lot of hype on being a great dj and ask to play at parties. I think this does more bad then good because what about all the other djs out there who can really bang it out but are not into making music or havent felt the need yet. They get over looked for parties while other "DJS" get booked because of their productions only and not for their skills behind the decks.

What do you guys thinkg about this. And also i think this makes people very uneducated when it comes to this music scene. Like oh this "dj" PRODUCE this track and its amazin and becomes a hit and then suddenly a bandwagon growds for the artist not the dj and then the clueless people hail this "dj" as great or amazing. When in fact making that one song has nothing to do with playing an actual party.

What do you guys think? I mean some people go crazy when they here such n such dj is gonna play somehwere or want that same dj to play somewhere because they like one or a few song by that artist. But just because they make a great song or 2 or a few doesnt mean that they are good djs.

Great djs sometimes make great productions while producers sometimes suck as djs as well. I do think that making a great track is a good way for a worldwide audience to regonize the prodcuer but then because of that one song suddenly he/she gets a lot of hype on being a great dj and ask to play at parties. I think this does more bad then good because what about all the other djs out there who can really bang it out but are not into making music or havent felt the need yet. They get over looked for parties while other "DJS" get booked because of their productions only and not for their skills behind the decks.

What do you guys thinkg about this. And also i think this makes people very uneducated when it comes to this music scene. Like oh this "dj" PRODUCE this track and its amazin and becomes a hit and then suddenly a bandwagon growds for the artist not the dj and then the clueless people hail this "dj" as great or amazing. When in fact making that one song has nothing to do with playing an actual party.

ehh for a DJ mixing is important. He SHOULD be booked for his mixing skills. Track selection also matters. The promoters really care about the amount of people that will show up(that can be based on hype over a track he released). So unfortunately it should be based on mixing but many times you will see DJ's promoted on what hit record they produced to get more heads to come. On that note the S-Man is one of the best DJ's I have seen to date. Where you are crobar for him?

ehh for a DJ mixing is important. He SHOULD be booked for his mixing skills. Track selection also matters. The promoters really care about the amount of people that will show up(that can be based on hype over a track he released). So unfortunately it should be based on mixing but many times you will see DJ's promoted on what hit record they produced to get more heads to come. On that note the S-Man is one of the best DJ's I have seen to date. Where you are crobar for him?

I have been disappointed so many times with great producers having no business being behind the decks, and others being just an average record player that's it's not even a joke. This is a serious topic cause most of these"Dj's" have no clue what makes a room move... they step behind the decks knowing the check is in the bank already...so fuck it!! DJing is a art that in MY Opinion is being lost with advancement of new technology...I'm old school we it comes to Djing ...convince me why am I going to pay $30-$50 to see your sorry ass make a fool of your-self...Make your godamn music and let the Pros Play it. I'll post some more shit tomorrow...cause I must go play. LATER!!!!!

there's nothing wrong with booking a producer... first off if you're into "the scene" you know who the good dj's are and you know who the good producers are... if you go to a venue to see a world class producer you're not expecting an amazing dj.. you're expecting a dj with the same taste in music as you..

ex) i love steve angello's productions.. i liked what he did with his tracks so therefore i was willing to bet he would throw down a set similar to the music i love... if he didnt it was a chance i was willing to take.. you dont go there with high expectations of technical skills, you go hoping the mixes aren't bad and hope you hear songs similar to the style you like... and then if the dj is bad you dont go see him next time... but instead just buy his records...

i dont see what the big deal is though.. if people want to go see a producer they like i dont see anything wrong with it..

Great topic. There are definitely many DJ's who get booked solely for their production skills and not for their DJing skills, this is usually the case out here in Orlando. In fact many of these DJ's/Producers really have no clue how to move a danceloor, and they tell no story with their music...maybe one of the reasons why the underground club scene is hurting. Its also been my experience with purchasing vinyl, that some of the best music out there was produced in collaboration with DJs that really know how to move a dancefloor. So i guess to answer your question, the DJ should be booked on the skill behind the decks and not behind the G5.

You think holden sucks....?

I think he is a great dj

i think he means hes a good dj LIVE

not via a recorded set

it goes the same for a lot of singers on these greatly produced tracks

Tiesto has a very popular track out right now but when you hear the singer live

she just plain sucks

john creamer sucks ass as a dj.

a lot of these things are a matter of PERSONAL opinion or objectivity... (see quote above)

i've played several times with creams and he has been absolutely electrifying. this PERSONAL opinion is based on the response to his mixing, programming, and overall understanding of each particular venue and it's unique atmosphere. Even if our musical genres distinctly differ; there is an understanding of what the job is really about; and how well he has done his job.

i do believe that if you are going to book a dj or a producer or a dj/ producer than the task boils down to what takes place at the event. if there are 2 people or 20,000 people in a venue listening to a dj; than the task at hand is to entertain, enlighten and understand what the particular moment needs.

DJs really become popular in this scene when they produce hits. People get to know a DJ first through their productions, and then as a DJ. But I have seen it a lot....great producers start DJing to make more money, and just aren't good at it. Somebody brought up James Holden....I totally agree. I think his productions are as good as they come, and his track selection is on point too. But damn, he needs to learn how to mix. I have a ton of his recorded live sets, and the mixing in all of them is just bad. But his productions are amazing, and people (including myself) go out to hear him play live every time he comes around.

i think this is bassically the buisness of it especially when booking dj's from out of ur town. But i dont go out to hear dj's because of their tracks, i used to not anymore i realised that some of them are not as good as their tracks.

i think this is bassically the buisness of it especially when booking dj's from out of ur town. But i dont go out to hear dj's because of their tracks, i used to not anymore i realised that some of them are not as good as their tracks.

well only way people will hear of some of the overseas dj's is cause of their productions...but they are usually talented dj's as well...but not all producers are.

look at someone like greg o, who can produce tracks like no other IMO , but does not even DJ.......I wonder how many people try to actually call him up to book him ?

then look at someone like Richie Santana, who is a great DJ, and got lots of booking overseas in Spain, Japan etc, cause of his productions and connections with Chus and Ceballos.....best of both worlds for him

production makes ya famous...IMO

I would book a producer for their name, but only if they have the skills to back it up .....who wants to listen to a bad set no matter who is spinning it ..

I hate to be the one to say this, but 95% of of promoters hire an DJ based on how many people he can bring in. (which is reflective of skills, etc.) but that's the reason when you get off of the local level and are investing in hiring headliners IMO...

dj's should scrictly be based on how many people can bring to the club and how "industry" they are. Skills should have nothing to do with it anymore u know? come on, we are in 2005 here people. fuck we need skills for? thats what computers and ableton live are for!!

dj's should scrictly be based on how many people can bring to the club and how "industry" they are. Skills should have nothing to do with it anymore u know? come on, we are in 2005 here people. fuck we need skills for? thats what computers and ableton live are for!!

Skills should have nothing to do with it anymore u know? come on, we are in 2005 here people. fuck we need skills for? thats what computers and ableton live are for!!

I wish someone would have told Lady Miss Kier that when I went to her Leo party the other weekend. 1st time ever that I've danced to a set where the person spinning didn't even bother to try to mix. It was amusing for the 1st 4 or so songs but after hearing that for 2 hours I think you would find "skills" at least, partly, a requirement. Obviously she's not a "DJ" per say but at least don't mash up the beats so bad that they interrupt your mood while dancing.

It's mind frames Like this one :lol3: That depresses me and makes me want to cry, :kill9:

I don't have words to express what i'm feeling with this quote... Sorry guys I'm gonna jump off the Brooklyn Bridge :splat:

thats how the business works but when u bookings over seas dj's or international u gotta go on their productions cause they not from ur town. Sux taht this is way it works but music is 2 part business and 1 part skill. and abelton live and computers dont give u skill u gotta earn that the hard way.

please save the minds of people everywhere... and tell us that this is pure sarcasm that's undetectable via computer?!

:ghey:

IMHO if its a small venue then the club should book djs based on the crowd the djs bring...that would give the producers who are starting off in the dj world a chance. in a large venue, they should book the djs purely on skill set. if you dont like the dj on the main floor, you can always go hang out in the hip hop room. :vomit2:

It would nice if skills meant anything. Unfortunately skills have not mattered for years. I can think of several DJ's that continue to work on both a local basias and national basis whose programming and or mixing skills leave much to be desired yet they seem to be working all the time. So obviously it's who you blow and not what you know.