Clubplanet Nightlife Community

KTU's Jules on the mic at Temps on Sunday

Ok, my cousin got married on Sunday and wasnt able to make it to the closing party, but I listened to the live broadcast on KTU. Whats sad is my only memory of the last night of Temps is my cassette of the broadcast I recorded live on the radio, and every 10 minutes I have this MORON yappin and studdering on the mic

Denny's set was very very good

BUT.........

I cant get over how annoying Jules from KTU was on the mic. First off, she kept fuckin up, not knowing if she was on the air or not with the "mic check, mic check" crap

Then it was the "put your hands up in the air, put your hands up in the air.....put your hands up in the air, put your hands up in the air".... ARE U SERIOUS !?!!?

Then it was like she forgot to turn her fuckin mic off. I'm listening to Denny mixing it up, and in the backround I hear Jules yappin away, tryin to hook up with a guido....not knowing her FUCKIN MIC WAS STILL ON!!!!!

Then she actually started singing "Oleeee ole ole oleeee" over and over....begging the crowd to join in with her.... (ya ok i can REALLY see tempts doin that!)

If she said "making history" one more time, I was gonna vomit.

The best was hearing her say "FUCK YOU" live on the radio....wonder if she'll get fired for that. I hope so!

What was it like at the club with this idiot destroying Denny's set ? I cant believe people werent throwing water bottles at her !

I highly doubt thats true. You cant just go on the radio and start cursing cause its after midnight....lol

And i read on another board that Denny will be posting his radio feed of mixshow on his site this week.

between midnite and 5am you can curse on radio and TV, called safe harbor hours.

and the set denny will post on his site likely wont have jewlz talking.

you can't curse on the radio no matter what time it is..... Im not an expert in the fcc rules but there is no way dude.....

why do you think shows like love phones and other raunchy sex call in shows (where the F*** word gets dropped) all start at midnite??

while its not written in stone, any profanity that goes on the air in the overnight hours 99% of the time goes unpunished, and in the only cases of enforcement i ever heard of a letter of warning was issued with no fine to the station involved.

denny said the radio portion of his show would be posted on his site, but in the past i'm pretty sure he's posted the 'clean' mix before the club mics were inserted into the mix.

• 2 weeks later...
why do you think shows like love phones and other raunchy sex call in shows (where the F*** word gets dropped) all start at midnite??

while its not written in stone, any profanity that goes on the air in the overnight hours 99% of the time goes unpunished, and in the only cases of enforcement i ever heard of a letter of warning was issued with no fine to the station involved.

denny said the radio portion of his show would be posted on his site, but in the past i'm pretty sure he's posted the 'clean' mix before the club mics were inserted into the mix.

I'm sure denny recorded the set on the pre-mic outputs of the mixer...not off the post-mic outputs that compress the music output levels while the mic is in use.

Jules can actually speak in complete sentences?

Ktu has a 7 second delay on the mic so the board op was sleeping. The offensive content ban is 6am til 10pm. Not Midnite. The delay is to prevent on air swearing of club patrons put on the air randomly. The FCC takes the "F" word much more seriously when said by a radio employee than that of a random on air patron saying it.

I'm sure denny recorded the set on the pre-mic outputs of the mixer...not off the post-mic outputs that compress the music output levels while the mic is in use.

nope, in fact the only tape he has was recorded at KTU. and from what i heard he was pretty pissed about how the quality of the recoding that ktu made turned out. and the mixer itself wouldnt be doing any compression, that would happen downstream from the mixer; and the only reason you hear 'ducking' of the music when somebody is on mic in some club is because they either are using a single band comp (rare these days) which cant dontrol individual frequency bands independantly, but most places now are using multiband digital processing since its fairly affordable at this point. the other reason is if you are using good processing and just have it set wrong.

Ktu has a 7 second delay on the mic so the board op was sleeping.

it was the board ops first nite working. and the delay is not meant to be there for the air staff, just people we put on the radio. Since the tempts show is 2 hours commercial free typically the board op throws the remote on the air and then isnt even in the studio (or near the dump buttion) for most of the show.

nope, in fact the only tape he has was recorded at KTU. and from what i heard he was pretty pissed about how the quality of the recoding that ktu made turned out. and the mixer itself wouldnt be doing any compression, that would happen downstream from the mixer; and the only reason you hear 'ducking' of the music when somebody is on mic in some club is because they either are using a single band comp (rare these days) which cant dontrol individual frequency bands independantly, but most places now are using multiband digital processing since its fairly affordable at this point. the other reason is if you are using good processing and just have it set wrong.

it was the board ops first nite working. and the delay is not meant to be there for the air staff, just people we put on the radio. Since the tempts show is 2 hours commercial free typically the board op throws the remote on the air and then isnt even in the studio (or near the dump buttion) for most of the show.

2 hours commercial free?

And if no board op, then who is telling jules when the stop set is coming up so she knows when to come in live after the break.

And who is running the temp sweepers over the mix?

Denny isnt running the sweepers in the club so they are put in the post mix at the studio.

And isnt the compression done in house at ktu? I doubt they are running the house feed and mic feed back to the station as one signal. Probably 4 channels back to the studio. L & R audio house feed and L & R Mic feed and then mixed back at the studio. How could you possibly monitor a radio feed off the temps soundsystem ?

2 hours commercial free?

yes, 2 horus commercial free

And if no board op, then who is telling jules when the stop set is coming up so she knows when to come in live after the break.

see above, there are no stopsets

And who is running the temp sweepers over the mix?

Denny isnt running the sweepers in the club so they are put in the post mix at the studio.

denny has them burnt on a CD and actually DOES run them in the club. he also had the ability to just insert them in a post club mixer bus up in the booth so they would go on the radio and not thru the club system.

And isnt the compression done in house at ktu? I doubt they are running the house feed and mic feed back to the station as one signal.

the house sound guy hands of a L/R feed (containing the house mics and music) to the KTU engineer on site, that feeds a Telos AAC codec to be compressed down to 128kbps and sent over an ISDN line back to the KTU studio.

with the exception of this past closing party (because i had other events to do out on LI) i've engineered that show for KTU for the past 5 years, i should hope i know how its setup lol

OK im no expert, just asking..so thanks for your input.

So the whole feed is sent over one isdn line? or left and right channels are two seperate isdn lines?

Or do you use the b channels on one line.. one for left and one for right?

I thought the ktu/z100 policy for live broadcasts was that the club has 4 isdn lines installed.

If this was such an important night to record, I wouldnt rely on a radio feed to record, I would record to dat out of the pre-mic output to avoid the talkover nonsense.

also, maybe if the on air jocks who do remote broadcasts would realize that when they are in the ciubs, they arent in their sound engineered radio booths where they can talk on the mic from 8 inches away with the $500 mics. They are in a noisy environment with a crappy shure or samson wireless that you have to have zero clearance between mouth and mic to actually be heard. Actually using a wireless for a broadcast is kind of insane.

OK im no expert, just asking..so thanks for your input.

no prob.

So the whole feed is sent over one isdn line? or left and right channels are two separate isdn lines?

one single ISDN line has 2- 64kbit channels (in each direction). outbound one is used for L and the other R. on the return channels we split them and have a talkback channel to communicate w/ the board op in the studio and the other channel is the program audio.

I thought the ktu/z100 policy for live broadcasts was that the club has 4 isdn lines installed.

For live music yes. for just a jock doing cut in's they also use a pots line nowadays though since there are devices (google telos Xport) that will let us pass near CD quality (mono) audio over a regular phone line with as low as a 21,000 baud connection. so we use that in areas that ISDN isn’t available in, or if there isn’t enough time to get a line installed in time.

If this was such an important night to record, I wouldn’t rely on a radio feed to record, I would record to dat out of the pre-mic output to avoid the talkover nonsense.

I completely agree.

also, maybe if the on air jocks who do remote broadcasts would realize that when they are in the ciubs, they arent in their sound engineered radio booths where they can talk on the mic from 8 inches away with the $500 mics. They are in a noisy environment with a crappy shure or samson wireless that you have to have zero clearance between mouth and mic to actually be heard. Actually using a wireless for a broadcast is kind of insane.

I wasn’t aware of anybody saying that they couldn’t hear the jocks, just that they heard too much of her. they are professionals and do realize they need to eat the mic when they are out at clubs, I’ve never had a problem with a jock not being loud enough, at least on any of my shows. As far as wireless goes, why do you think it’s insane for using on a live broadcast?? Diversity RF mics that are frequency coordinated and on a frequency that is free of interference are just as reliable as wired mics. When your watching a newscast or any show with anchors on TV those mics on their lapels all feed RF transmitters clipped to their belt so they can move about the studio, run to the bathroom, etc between breaks. And those are going out to a national audience not just a market of radio, so to say that wireless isn’t suited for live broadcasting is just absurd.

no prob.

one single ISDN line has 2- 64kbit channels (in each direction). outbound one is used for L and the other R. on the return channels we split them and have a talkback channel to communicate w/ the board op in the studio and the other channel is the program audio.

For live music yes. for just a jock doing cut in's they also use a pots line nowadays though since there are devices (google telos Xport) that will let us pass near CD quality (mono) audio over a regular phone line with as low as a 21,000 baud connection. so we use that in areas that ISDN isn’t available in, or if there isn’t enough time to get a line installed in time.

I completely agree.

I wasn’t aware of anybody saying that they couldn’t hear the jocks, just that they heard too much of her. they are professionals and do realize they need to eat the mic when they are out at clubs, I’ve never had a problem with a jock not being loud enough, at least on any of my shows. As far as wireless goes, why do you think it’s insane for using on a live broadcast?? Diversity RF mics that are frequency coordinated and on a frequency that is free of interference are just as reliable as wired mics. When your watching a newscast or any show with anchors on TV those mics on their lapels all feed RF transmitters clipped to their belt so they can move about the studio, run to the bathroom, etc between breaks. And those are going out to a national audience not just a market of radio, so to say that wireless isn’t suited for live broadcasting is just absurd.

The lav's used for wireless tv broadcast are a far cry from the crappy samson/shure wireless mics in most clubs. And they dont even check for interference before the broadcast. For tv broadcast, the receiver for the lav's is a few feet away from the tv anchors.... not 100 feet away with 500 people between them and the receiver not to mention the other variables involved and they dont broadcast from the bathroom. Its a straight shot to the receiver. Thats why all the track acts sound crappy at the clubs because they use cheap wireless in house mics with major interference that have been dropped hundreds of times. I have never seen radio engineers use a frequency counter to check for close signal interference, so how else would they know.

The lav's used for wireless tv broadcast are a far cry from the crappy samson/shure wireless mics in most clubs. And they dont even check for interference before the broadcast. For tv broadcast, the receiver for the lav's is a few feet away from the tv anchors.... not 100 feet away with 500 people between them and the receiver not to mention the other variables involved and they dont broadcast from the bathroom. Its a straight shot to the receiver. Thats why all the track acts sound crappy at the clubs because they use cheap wireless in house mics with major interference that have been dropped hundreds of times. I have never seen radio engineers use a frequency counter to check for close signal interference, so how else would they know.
the lavs for TV are made by either Shure or Lectrosonics, so don’t trash the shure name, they put out some good shit. most of the RF mics you see at concerts are all Shure Beta 87s or SM58s.

As far as where the rcvrs are located that all depends on the situation, when your doing live TV you have the rcvrs mounted to either the camera itself and/or an additional rcvr mounted back in the ENG truck, both usually more then 'a few feet' away in a breaking news situation or even just in a briefing room for a press conference. The range on most UHF gear is about 1000 feet.

As far as checking out frequencies before use, only a MORON wouldn’t do that if the gear was being used for a broadcast. The shure UHF stuff has signal metering right on an LCD on the front panel, and even lets the engineer change the freq of the handheld from the receiver if he see's a problem cropping up. Just because you've never 'seen' a radio engineer do his due diligence doesn’t really amount to much- how many times have you watched one setup a broadcast from start to finish? Do you know any engineers? Because it sounds to me like you’re basing most of this on pure speculation.