Clubplanet Nightlife Community

My Junior Review

bionic

After orginally planning on going to Roxy for JP and hearing they were charging 50 beans to get in and be packed amoungst a sea of train wrecks, we said fuck that and came up with plan b - junior at avalon.

I had never heard him live b/f so I was phsyched. I went with my gf and another friend of mine.

Got to the door and the guy warns us. It's mixed but very very gay with all kinds of freaks and freaky shit going on inside. Obviously he could tell we were straight and I appreciate him giving us the heads up for what it was worth but I already knew what to expect.

I just smiled and said no worries we're here for junior and walked in.

Got there at around 2am and was really liking the music.

Thought it got a little slow at one time or another but I'm not complaing. I can't love everything that's played. I was on the dancefloor the entire time getting my groove on from the second I walked in till the we walked out.

Was very happy/surprised with the live act - Veronica

She performed Release me, Someone to hold, and a new one Relentless 2005 with the keys to Tim Rex's Relentless with her vocals over it - not bad but personally I don't think that track should be touched.

The crowd was what I expected at a Junior Party and were all mad cool!!

I had a fucking blast!!! My gf thought I had a little too much fun, lol

We didn't stay too late and left about 6, after the bar closed and the buzz wore off.

I'm an old timer and I don't do the things I used to although I was def tempted to go looking for a little pick me up just cause I was having so much fun and didn't want to leave but I was pretty beat, it was a long weekend and it was time for me to go home.

As I was walking out, the music was really getting good which made it that much harder to keep going out the door.

All in all, I had a great time. I'd definitely go to another one, and I'm sorry I waited this long to see him.

I always read, on here especially, people ripping into him for sucking.

I went with an open mind and my dancing shoes on and had a blast.

He might have played better in his day and perhaps others who went didn't like it.

All I know is that I had a blast and was almost a bit awe stuck finally seeing jr behind the decks.

Good shit!

im soo glad u had a great time!!!!wish there were more open minded people like you that can get past all the gay or freakish shit and go for what we all once went for....THE MUSIC.plus us freaks arn't soo bad once u get to know us . :) Junior's been soo much more into it.he said getting off the meth has really made him love the music again and he reliezed it wasn't the music he was hating in the 1st place,it was the drug he hated and it showed in his music.I have the upmost respect for the man with all the ups and downs hes been through and still manages to hold residenties at NYC Big clubs.i mean just think really how many DJS u know that are in there late 50's that can still bring it to the floor at this day in age??PS the Veronica singing hold me with the beats of tim rex's relentless was a treat indeed but nothing beats the original mix of it.

glad you liked it. the pros at CP know junior is still one of the greatest usa djs ever.

and on his big nights he can still match pretty much any dj alive.

we're lucky to have him in nyc, hes STILL a NYer.

the avalon residence can become the party of 2005 if we support.

the roxy was a **** event a week ago.

much as we love morillo & DT, they are not weekly in nyc now. junior IS.

nuff said.

After that good review, I'm down to support Jr. once again despite all the bad press he's been receiving. I was a huge supporter of him during his Tunnel and Arena & even Twilo days but I fell out of love with him after that. Heard him once at Earth & once at Disco and was not impressed one bit. But, if he has a residency at Avalon, I might have to check him out. Thanks again for the cool review!

If you go hear JR, go really early now, when he's banging tribal/techy house, after that is all downhill. He's still stuck on those awful vocals like it's 1997. His parties nowadays seems like Classic parties all the time. He won't play anything new by anybody else.

Please somebody BUY HIM SOME NEW RECORDS!

He still turns it but if I hear Reap/YourChild/UnbreakmyHeart one more time, I'm gonna :vomit2:

OK now, watch the house fags get in an uproar because somebody has a different opinion of JR and attack this post. Are you sharpening your nails Jason?? :gang:

DC

How about the new 2005 mixes? Relentless 2005? Someone to Hold 2005, or Erotica (or is it something else) 2005 ? Are those new or old? ;)

re-hashes....and none of them are his.... They were given to Jerome and various other djs, so it's what he is handed at the party by jerome to play. He should still go out and buy records as well...but that's an old argument that shouldn't be "rehashed" either

I love juniors hard progressive beats but i love the vocals too!!!!

DT went 98% techno & left behind the soul R&B melodies vocals deep house & pop thar made vinyl be yourself one of the greatest weeklies in nyc clubbing.

junior didnt forget the vocals or the melodies. roxy was sweet but a junior weekly will show the many flavours of our hometown house 'messiah'

;)

If you go hear JR, go really early now, when he's banging tribal/techy house, after that is all downhill. He's still stuck on those awful vocals like it's 1997. His parties nowadays seems like Classic parties all the time. He won't play anything new by anybody else.

Please somebody BUY HIM SOME NEW RECORDS!

He still turns it but if I hear Reap/YourChild/UnbreakmyHeart one more time, I'm gonna :vomit2:

OK now, watch the house fags get in an uproar because somebody has a different opinion of JR and attack this post. Are you sharpening your nails Jason?? :gang:

DC

whatever bitch u still go to hear him spin, stop whining,and stop trying to provoke me it's not gonna wurk.go on blow some more hot air...this is not a JP thread. :)

im soo glad u had a great time!!!!wish there were more open minded people like you that can get past all the gay or freakish shit and go for what we all once went for....THE MUSIC.plus us freaks arn't soo bad once u get to know us . :) Junior's been soo much more into it.he said getting off the meth has really made him love the music again and he reliezed it wasn't the music he was hating in the 1st place,it was the drug he hated and it showed in his music.I have the upmost respect for the man with all the ups and downs hes been through and still manages to hold residenties at NYC Big clubs.i mean just think really how many DJS u know that are in there late 50's that can still bring it to the floor at this day in age??PS the Veronica singing hold me with the beats of tim rex's relentless was a treat indeed but nothing beats the original mix of it.

yeah it really was a lot of fun.

the gay crowd doesn't bother me, the freaks take the party to a different level and add different dimension to a party and I'm all for it.

I like diversity at a party. It gets tired seeing a room full of clones all dressing, dancing, and all looking the same...

It's not a party for homo phobes so if it's gonna bother you to see it, then this is not the party for you.

ibrandon - the aforementioned statement is exactly why we were told what to expect b/f we went in and paid.

in my opinion he was only looking out for us and i appreciate it.

he def wasn't trying to be a dick about it. thats not how it was said.

fastfast - the mixing was tight as far as i remember. no trainwrecks that i recall while i was there and everything seemed to flow very very smoothley.

I don't get out much these days so I'm not super current on my music.

I do know what I like and I liked what I heard.

Yes I heard 1 Madonna track. No Unbreak my heart, lol and personally I would have loved to have heard Your Child. Haven't heard that out in ages.

Hell it's a gay party, I'd almost be dissapointed if I didn't hear some of that stuff, lol

As for throwing 2005 at the end of remixes. It doesn't bother me. If it sounds good it sounds good.

Hell how many remixes has JP done of Going Thru It or In Your Eyes? Neither of which I personally care for, regadless of the version.

After that good review, I'm down to support Jr. once again despite all the bad press he's been receiving. I was a huge supporter of him during his Tunnel and Arena & even Twilo days but I fell out of love with him after that. Heard him once at Earth & once at Disco and was not impressed one bit. But, if he has a residency at Avalon, I might have to check him out. Thanks again for the cool review!
I am shocked!!!u gotta promise though u won't kick me in the balls...it's not that freaky lol. :)

Bionic i very much like your opinions.....u flow that's cool.. :bounce:

Thanks, likewise.

I hadn't been out to a club in ages and ages and this past weekend I went to two. Spirit for Diggers and Avalon for Jr.

I hit it 2 for 2 and had great times at each.

I'm def not fully coming out of retirement as I've been pretty content keeping it low key, but I'm much more receptive to getting out once in a while for a good party ie Danny Howells and Ben Watts :bounce:

Hey, I'm afraid that I'll have to agree with DC this time, yikes. But Junior has been terrible for the last few times.

His birthday party was a disaster, he played all vocals all night and day, even for a feminine queen like me, I like my beats like my dicks, hard all the time!

I feel that shortie (JR) needs some new music desperately, and new music is not Jason/Vernesa/insert-another-no-talent.

I predict that JR will FLOP majorly in the UK. Those crowds don't wanna sing along every MaryJ and Deborah Cox record, hell, those people probably don't even know who they are.

Shortie, update your shit and step off

Manny

Hey, I'm afraid that I'll have to agree with DC this time, yikes. But Junior has been terrible for the last few times.

His birthday party was a disaster, he played all vocals all night and day, even for a feminine queen like me, I like my beats like my dicks, hard all the time!

I feel that shortie (JR) needs some new music desperately, and new music is not Jason/Vernesa/insert-another-no-talent.

I predict that JR will FLOP majorly in the UK. Those crowds don't wanna sing along every MaryJ and Deborah Cox record, hell, those people probably don't even know who they are.

Shortie, update your shit and step off

Manny

FAKE FUCKER BEGONE!!!

honestly, junior was an anthemic bore.

grandma needs to bring back some harder beats, enough with all that vernessa and all that fluff radio show shit.

not that i was expecting much of my 2-hr attendance, but if that was the preview of things to come no thanks.

i'm not bashing anyone but i've had it with people saying over and over that it was legendary... wake up!

honestly, junior was an anthemic bore.

grandma needs to bring back some harder beats, enough with all that vernessa and all that fluff radio show shit.

not that i was expecting much of my 2-hr attendance, but if that was the preview of things to come no thanks.

i'm not bashing anyone but i've had it with people saying over and over that it was legendary... wake up!

opinions are like assholes.....everyones got one :)